Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What's in your gear bag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's in your gear bag?

Thats one heck of a list, it actually does not take up much space as it mostly small stuff. I would add some 550 cord{parachute cord}. I carry and axe tied to the rear rack as well as a folding shovel also attached to the rack. I added a ammo can to act as a trunk and carry just about everything on that list. I like the surgical mask idea, I have ridden numerous times and that would of helped. I also carry a couple of freeze dried meals used to carry MRE's but the freeze dried take less space. I to like those flat pack water and gas containers but can not bring myself to pay for them. I would also sugest a water purifier, I have the Backpacker one and it has given me alot of years use, money well spent. I carry 2 one qt. military water bottles and fill them up as I need, water is plentiful here but sometimes you have to wonder of the source. A current copy of the game regs as well. Either my 41 mag or the 44, when I am feeling like it the 45 acp. A small fishing rod is handy when you find a creek or beaver pond with trout in it. I also mounted a Ram spotlight from Cabelas. How about a camera and film, never know when you might want to rember something. Charger for the cell phone. Mini compressor. Survey tape and some additional tools to add to the few that comes with the bike. For tow ropes I have 150 feet of comercial fishing rope carried in two sections one 100 foot and the other 50 feet this way I will always be able to find a place to hook my winch too. Thats about all I can think of right now. I will have to add some of the things off Specta's list to mine. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Alaska boy how deep of snow can you drive your kodiak 450 in? Also do you know what MRE's stand for? they stand for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Also do you know what MRE's stand for? they stand for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians." lol

I have got a lot of items from other lists people have posted in these forums. Have learned a lot in here from a lot of really nice and experienced people. I should get some type of rope too, and maybe an extra charger for the phone (and the list gets longer, again). We take about 6 frozen 12 oz water bottles in the cooler to keep the cokes cold and to drink as they thaw out. They work a lot better than ice and don't seam to thaw as fast. We always take extra snacks and an extra sandwich.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Specta
Call it "over-kill".

Tire plugs X
Tire plug kit X
CO2 cartridges
Tire gauge X
Spark plug
Extra ign. key
Valve stem tool
Bungee cords X
Bungee net
Tie down (ratchet)
Gloves (riding)
Gloves (surgical)
Gloves (winter) X
Ski masks
Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duck tape
Space blankets (2) X
Survival candles
Weatherproof matches X
Rain slickers X
First aide kit (complete) X
First aide book
Tweezers X
Nail clippers X
Visine
Blistex
Afrin
Sun-block
Flash light X
Batteries
Fuses
Tow strap X
Come-along
Compass X
Shovel X
Knife X
Plastic tarps
Wet ones
WD-40
Fire starters
Wood shims for kindling (line bottom of trunk with them)
Fire extinguishers
(Aerosol can style)
Sierra saw X
Hand soap
Surgical masks (dust)
1 qt oil
Coolers (two six-pack size coolers, 1 for food, 1 for frozen water bottles and drinks)
Tooth picks
Maps X
FRS radios
Insect repellent
Light sticks
Bio toilet paper X
5 ft’ 3/8” fuel line (siphon)
Loud whistle X
Replacement lens for goggles
Ice sox
Hand warmers
Toe warmers
Foot warmers
Sweatshirt & pants
Bathroom hand towels (good for packing) X
Plastic garbage bags
Binoculars X
S&W Hammer-less 357 Mag (not in trunk) X different kind
100 rounds Hydro-shock ammo X 12 rounds

Hope this helps.
I just put an X next to the things I take. I don't know if it'll come out right. I also take extra socks, winter gloves and winter hat. Also some water and a snack. Short trips- I just take a poncho, matches, flashlight and a knife. Don't forget the camera.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

this has been an educational thread. sounds like we could survive in any condition. thanks for the lists. two sheets of plastic poly and some rope will make a decent lean to when needed. one sheat for ground cover and th other drapped over the rope. Tie off the corners of the top polly to rocks or trees or whatever is handy. We had to do this in a survival course i took. They are a b***h when it snows a lot though.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

We in Alaska all carry blue tarps, the more the merrier. I always over do it when I pack tarps for hunting camp, we can cover an acre it seems. It beats getting wet though, normaly during hunting season it rains, alot and there is nothing more depressing then getting wet while moving around camp in the woods is different story. You only have to get wet running to the outhouse, as I am not putting it any closer when you got guys drinking cheap beer and eating chilli. Bad combination, especially with a camp fire going.{HAHA} Hey nobody mentioned the plug in blender, what gives? You can not have taco night without the margihrettas. AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Funny all my lists start with beer. I wonder if this means somthing?

Old 02-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Chaos, nothing wrong with putting beer on your list. Except I do not need to add it to my list as it is right up there with my handgun and ammo and those are neccesary and never get put on the actual list, you never forget them. It likes putting on your pants in the morning, you don't forget them. Now of course for the disclaimer: never ride while drinking nor use a firearm while intoxicated.AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

just a question. whats the handguns for? shooting the stupid bastard that got you lost and stranded?

Old 02-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

The handgun is for the four legged critters that like to roam into camp, mainly Brown bears. Once in awhile you will get a Black bear or even a Coyote but they will run when yelled at. I had a Caribou stick its nose to my tent and sniff, it was a not a good way to wake up and see the side of your tent being pushed in and hearing something snorting. I did not shoot thru the tent as it was in the line with my friends tent and just yelled at it to get the @#$$ out of here. I was somewhat suprrised when I heard the sounds of hooves hitting the hard trail and grabed my Mag lite and gun and jumped out of the tent, my friend of course heard the yelling and he to was flashlighted and armed. We checked the side of the tent and there was drool on the tent and Caribou tracks. The next year while we were in the same spot hunting Caribou we had a Brown bear with cubs come into camp in the middle of the day and she went right to the pole we had our Caribou hanging. She was alittle late though as we had just cut them down and loaded them onto the fourwheelers for the trip out to the truck. If we had stayed another night I am positive we would of had a nightime raid. The most important reason for the handguns is the ultimate savage beast, The Tree Hugger, these creatures have been known to come into your camp and pee on the beer, that can not be tolerated.AlaskaBoy.

Quick Reply: What's in your gear bag?