Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Who's running a Warn 3.0ci or Ramsey 3000 Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004 | 12:59 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Who's running a Warn 3.0ci or Ramsey 3000 Winch?

I'm trying to choose between the two for my new Polaris 500HO. Each has its attributes but one question goes unanswered. The wireless remote is sort of cool on the Ramsey but failing that, what is the controller that operates this winch? The information is just not there. Is it a handlebar mounted switch like Warn's? They refer to it as a toggle but what does that mean?

Warn's information is pretty cut and dry, the 3.0ci has a corded remote AND a handlebar remote just like what I have on my sp400. Again, the Ramsey has some good features and is a fair amount cheaper but I need to know how it is operated.

Old 03-02-2004 | 02:05 PM
Trailblazer

I think mine is a WARN,but not sure it has been painted over. It has a small switch box appx. 2x4inches and an inch thick. it is not really a toggle but a momentary rocker switch that means it will not stay in the postion you push as you have to hold it down. DAVE

Old 03-02-2004 | 05:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have the Warn 3.0. Probably overkill but for the money it was the best option. Plus it has a life time warranty. Not sure if the Ramsey has that or not. The wireless is pretty cool but I m happy with the Warn.

Brad

Old 03-02-2004 | 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Ramsey 3000. The toggle switch works exactly like crossy's Warn. The wireless remote is awesome.
Also lifetime warranty.

Old 03-02-2004 | 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of money for the 3000 pound warn and ramsey? is the winch the same size as the 2.5 or the 2.0 winches?

Old 03-02-2004 | 09:16 PM
|
Pro Rider

Both the Warn and The Ramsey (3.0ci & 3000) are 3000 pound winches. The Ramsey has a wireless remote and the Warn a more conventional corded remote. I'm still trying to figure out what advantage the wireless truly gives. Regardless, the Ramsey pulls a little slower but draws less amperage and comes at a cheaper price.

Since my original question, I have seen the Ramsey's handlebar mount switch and I can say the Warn has them beat in that department. That thing is way to big to be mounted on the bars in my opinion. The Warn's switch is much more compact yet ergonomically functional as it sits immediately above the headlight switch on my Sportsman. As far as quality of product goes, I think they are both winners but I don't think I could live with that switch on the Ramsey after working with the Warn already. I have to dwell on this for a while before making a decision. Any other input would still be appreciated.

Oh sorry! From what I am seeing, the Warn can be had for about $375 and the Ramsey about $325 not including mounts.

Sorry again, lafngas, I miss interpreted your question I think. Dimensionally I believe they are about the same size as several guys here have said they have them mounted on new Polaris machines in the spot they are supposed to go which is somewhat restricted.

Old 03-02-2004 | 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a warn 3.0 for $329.00 on ebay from an authorized dealer. Shipping brought it up to $345.00 I looked at the ramsey-I know I would lose that remote! I am Instaling it on my maual vinson that hopefully-I will be picking up TOMORROW!!! (My first quad) I'm chompin' at the bit!

Old 03-03-2004 | 12:01 AM
|
Pro Rider

Hey luny....can you PM me the name of your seller on ebay. I'm following some auctions and was curious which one you got. Thanks

BTW...Congrats on the new Ute!!! How are things in Marysville? I spent A LOT of time just southwest of you in Colusa this year Duck Hunting! Have also done some Salmon fishing right out of Marysville on the Feather...a friend of mine guides up there.

Old 03-11-2004 | 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

I just got my Ramsey 3.0 wireless and I am having a hard time visualizing the antenna and PCB board set up. The instructions say something about attaching the antenna to the right side of the PCB but I am having a brain fade this morning. Doesn’t the antenna need to make good contact with the PCB? Isn't the adhesive on the antenna tape isolating the copper foil from the PCB?

Where did you mount the antenna / wireless box? It looks like the antenna / PCB needs to be isolated from the frame.

Anyway, someone hit me with the 2x4 and clear this up for me.

Old 03-13-2004 | 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Ramsey 3000lbs wr winch mounted on my Prairrie 650 and love it. It will mount anywhere that the 2000 and 2500 lbs winches mount. Remote is a good safety advantage as you can move away from the wheeler when winching if needed. I have been in a few places where this came in handy. The toggle switch is a small switch that can be mounted on your fender. Componets can be mounted anywhere on machine as you can purchase additional wireing. A lot of Kaw 650 owners put them in the dry box under seat. Mine is mounted under front cowling. Antenna is mounted on bottom side of front cowling. Always remember to shut remote off before you put it in your pocket. I left mine on at the Mud Nationals like an idiot and burnt up a brand new winch. If you purchase a Warn (which is also a great winch), you can purchase a wireless remote set up from Ramsey if you want the Warn but also want the wireless remote feature.

Quick Reply: Who's running a Warn 3.0ci or Ramsey 3000 Winch?