Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700

Tellcco I sold my 02 Grizz to get my 03 650 best thing I ever did as far as ATVs go. As far as problems the Grizz wins hands down . I have had both quads I might know smothing. Its not that I dont like Yams I just bough the wife one But comming off implying that a Grizz has less problems is nothing short of uninformed.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: TellicoGrizz660
Well, the "MAIN" reason most "ALL" prairie owners buy a prairie is simply for how fast it is! You have a raptor, line them up and see who wins!!!! But I won't argue with you because you do at least enjoy the same option as I, that being you have a sport quad AND a Utility!!! You gotta love it!!! You know something, if there was some way they could put the YFZ450 motor into the Wolvering frame and suspended it better and had selectable 2wd/4wd and a diff lock feature, I would almost bank on it that it would far and away take sell WAY more than the Prairie and outhandle and outrun the Prairie, you being a yamaha owner, would You consider buying it???? If it out handles and outruns your praire and has the same attributes of the Prairie.......SRA, better suspension, what would be the reason for keeping the prairie when something is "faster", would that persuade you in any way to get rid of it??? If not what would your reasons for keeping it be??? Better yet, if another quad came out on the market that was "faster" than your prairie with SRA and a diff-lock would that be all it took for you to get rid of it?
That would be a nice machine, but it wouldnt serve my purpose. I used to own a 350 Rancher FE. It was a rock solid machine that treated me well. I put some new tires on it when the originals wore out and decided I needed something with more power. I have a ranch that has horses and pasture fences that need to be tended to. The deep snow was hard on the stock rancher so the new tires were 26" mudlites. Then I realized the lack of power. So I sold it and went looking. I needed something with low end grunt for hauling spreaders and trailers. Needed to get through muddy and wet pastures to fix fence and feed hay. I went from rancher at to grizz to vinson to twinpeaks to grizz to prarie. I decided on the prarie for the sra that I knew would be bulletproof and the abundance of low end. I already had a 660 in the garage, and did not have the overwhelming desire for another. I needed a utility, and the p is utilitarian to a point. It was cheaper than a rubicon which made a big difference. I'm sure many people would like a machine like that though.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Mr.TellicoGrizz660,

Don't forget it is a Rincon vs Prairie topic and not a Prairie vs Grizzly ( I know Grizzly vs Prairie is a real interesting topic, but TxRebel wants to know about the Prairie 700 and Rincon), so I chose the Prairie 700 over the Rincon. They are both good quads, but the question is which is the best between the two? And I think I clearly stated why the Prairie 700 was better than the Rincon, and it wasn't only a power issue but much more. I agree with you about hearing about the Prairie belt being unreliable, yes I agree for the Prairie 650 belt, but here we are talking about the Prairie 700. The 650 and 700 Prairie have different belts and clutches. I haven't heard about any Prairie 700 with a proper maintenace having belt problems. That is why most Prairie 650 owners are changing their belts for the Prairie 700's belt.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

I like the ride of the 650R but I didn't feel it would be a good choice for me so I bought a 2nd praire. I did like the ride at slower speeds on the 650 R but I thought it would be a little risky knowing how costly a rincon repair bill could be. Also I still feel safer on a SRA, the power of the rincon you can not compare to the Praire. Both are great bikes thou. The belt thing is realitive cheap to handle, and the 700 clutch is much better than the 650 clutch. Also the belt is about 100CAN and you can put almost put 2 clutches in a praire for the price of one rincon tranny. Also with a little investment the clutch can become quite duable. I feel the 750 IRS will, satify the grizz, cat and rincon riders that like IRS. I know people here that are Really happy with their new big Hondas too...

Old 03-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

yeah the grizz may be ok if you have to settle for third world bikes, but the year is 2004 and i don't think so. if i have to ride something that is behind the times and pretend that it is the greatest, i wont ride at all. the grizz is still the pretender to the throne , stop smoking that $hit. set down and think about it, we have heard from grizz owners starting three months before they came off the line. nothing changed , we don't hear from them any more. you are the only one that has not figured it out.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: roscoe69
yeah the grizz may be ok if you have to settle for third world bikes, but the year is 2004 and i don't think so. if i have to ride something that is behind the times and pretend that it is the greatest, i wont ride at all. the grizz is still the pretender to the throne , stop smoking that $hit. set down and think about it, we have heard from grizz owners starting three months before they came off the line. nothing changed , we don't hear from them any more. you are the only one that has not figured it out.
The "ONLY" thing I hear about the Prairie is how "FAST" it is! Afterall, a polaris will out pull, outmud and out work the prairie ANYDAY, the Grizzly will out climg, outmud the prairie!! SIMPLE as that! What other attributes does the prairie have besides a diff-lock that the others don't?? The v-twin and how fast it is!!! THAT IS ALL!!! Behind in times????????? ONE QUESTION, WHY IS ALL THE HYPE ABOUT KAWASAKI BUILDING A 750 "IRS" MACHINE???? I would say Kawi is behind in times, Yamaha has ALWAYS had better quads than KAWI, Yamaha has a performance machine that is a 450cc single that completely destroys the vtwin 700cc motor you have so come to love in the vforce!!!! A 450cc SINGLE versus a 700CC V-TWIN!!! Which should truly win that???? Behind in times you say?????????? RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Until the day Kawi builds a quad TODAY that can outrace and outrun the yamaha sport quads and a quad that will outclimb, outmud and ride smoother than the Yamaha's I would say that KAWI is behind in the times, its what 2004??? IN 1998 Yamaha had a 4 stroke MX bike! 2001 Yamaha had a 250F fourstroke, KAWI JUST came out with their 250 fourstroke MX bike this year and they DON"T EVEN HAVE a 450 4 stroke bike!!! YOU TELL ME who is behind in times, HOW LONG did Kawi only sell their mojave while Yamaha sported 4 sport quads??? WHO is behind in times????? HMMMMM The ONLY thing kawi did first was the v-twin and in the v-force compared to the YFZ 450 it fell short of its purpose!!!!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Telli mark my words the Prairie is not an obsolete bike. When the Praire came out it was marked as well above the times by popular science etc... What's your view point on the rear brake, belt sensor, the dreaded CDI (to SLOW US DOWN), front brakes, the best (in my POV sorry but it's true) shifter, perfect engine braker, even the diffi lock system that you dislike is very unique to the Kawi Brand, etc... Don't talk dirt bikes because sorry to say but the Kawi focus on FAST not slow four stokes with dirt bikes and the kawi 2 stokes are VERY FAST! LOL The reason why Kawi is making an IRS I believe because believe it or not some people want the IRS and Kawi is hopefully taking the proper R&D time to do it right before releasing it.... That's why so many people are going after the cat 650. There's alot more to the Praire than speed. I'm an avid ATVer and believe me speed is not my major factor why I'm so happy with the prairie. I'm not going to fight with you here but you better take a closer look at the grizz (which I will not tear to threads here and I will leave it at that)... what I'm saying here if you don't realize you are stirring up stuff and if you don't be carefull your gonna sink in it. Maybe it's time for me to go stir a little in the slow yama fourm if some one could show me directions. LOL Please stop these posts they have been going on long enough!!!!

Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

I'm new to relatively ATV's, but deffinately NOT new to motorsports... For the record, I bought a 2004 P700, after MANY hours of research, reading everything, including forumn posts, I could get my hands on. I had boiled my desires down to the Rincon, Prairie, Grizzly, or Vinson.......

So I went riding with my family that next weekend on a borrowed Kodiak 400... decent bike... not thrilling, but got the job done. In the pack were 2-Grizzly's, a Kodiak 400, a Prairie 650, a Rincon 650, a rubicon, a Polaris 300, and a new Kodiak 450. I was lucky enough to be able to ride all of those present, and watch each as it worked across everything from very technical rutted areas, to mud holes, to open field drag racing, to fast trails, to streams, to steep hills.... up and down.

Then the next day, I went to my local deal who carries all bikes, and rode all 500+cc bikes.... (except Polaris...didn't like them anyway). Even the bikes that were not on my 'desired' list. After about 3 hours of testing each bike more then once.... it all came back to the Prairie.

After over 5 months of seat time on my P700, I've come to this conclusion.......
-It's not as smooth riding as the Grizzly or Rincon, but still smooth and comfortable.
-The V-twin can't be beat for smooth power...at any rpm... even better then the P650! btw... for the guy who said the grizzly is only "a little slower" then the P700??.... Guess again! A stock P700 is so de-tuned it's not funny. Hook up a Module, re-tune the carbs, and this thing will be 15 bike lengths ahead of a Grizzly or Rincon in 300yrds!! They de-tune it in stock trim so beginners or "wanna-be's" don't get hurt!! In high gear, I can wheelie to the rack if I choose, with the flick of the thumb... in low gear, you actually can't give it full throttle from a dead stop, or it will flip on it's tail!
-It's VERY sportable!! Especially with the Progressive springs on it and 5.5psi air in the front tires.
-It tows WAY more then the rated amount with ease!! I've towed a fully loaded tandem axle trailer full of firewood out of the woods with my P700 with no problems!!
-the ground clearance has NEVER been an issue, as I found it wheelies so easy, I can get more clearnace to transverse any log or object with ease. Besides.. the skid plates work fine for sliding over rocks.
- I've had no issues.. belt or otherwise with my P700... bottom line.. if it's slow riding..run it low gear.. if it's fast..ride in high gear, and your belt will last a LONG time!!
-I can go through any mud hole the other bikes can.... and I'm on stock POS dunlap tires....vs a couple of guys running 589's.... and mine is more predictable on sport trail riding..
-It's locking diff is awesome!!
-It has the best engine brake system out of all the bikes.... I rarely need to use my brakes when going down a hill!! And in low gear, most of the time, I actually have to give it throttle just to go down a hill!

Bottom line... my P700 does everything just as well (except cushy ride on the IRS bikes) the other bikes do.... and WAY better then ALL on the other things. If you want a bike that does it all well.. no matter if it's sport, utility, trail, drags, pulling, mud...... the P700 is your bike!!

Old 03-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Range Rover

btw.... the 2004 Kodiak I bought for my wife... she rode all the bikes along with me.. and she said the kodiak flet best for "her".... bottom line...
Let your butt be your guide!!

Old 03-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Thats it, I need me a 700 Kawi .................. I didn't buy a Grizz because of all the trouble I had with my 660 motor in the rappy....... I have a 300 Bayou that I never ride but my friends sure have and never had a problem with it that was the bikes fault! I would like to feel the power of that 700 twin!

Quick Reply: Honda Rincon vs. Kawa P-700