Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris or Arctic Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris or Arctic Cat?

Have your front right clutch looked at. Sounds like it isn't engaging in AWD mode.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

RhinoOffRoad, have you actually ridden a new Polaris, or even ridden with someone who has a Polaris ??? Your comments about Polaris' AWD system causing damage to trails is completely false. My Sportsman engages AWD so quickly and smoothly that it doesn't even give the rear tires a chance to spin once. These quads do no more damage to trails than any other 4WD quad out there. Saying otherwise just shows how little you actually know about the Polaris True AWD system. I get the benefits of very easy steering and when needed, I've instantly got the traction off all four wheels pulling. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a Yami or Kawi and some others, don't you also have to press and hold a diff lock button or lever to get true four wheel drive ?????? As far as the EBS on Polaris being dangerous, THAT is definitely the view of an extremely inexperienced rider. I have had no problems with skidding out of control down steep hills with my quad since the second day I rode it and I ride in the Rocky Mountains. Believe it or not, there are one or two steep hills around here. First day on it, I quickly learned to use High Range when descending hills (as the wheels would lock in Low) and regulate my brakes to further assist in safely descending any hill. Before knocking the Polaris system, take a little time to learn about it and how to ride it. After 1300 miles on mine, I now find it a little awkward to ride other quads when I occassionally swap with my riding buds. I've really come to appreciate Polaris' EBS and single-lever braking.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

I must be inexperencedmy pol 700 Is only my 9th atv that Ive owned In my opinion my other atvs ebs worked alot better than my 700s ebs and were alot cheaper.Thats my only complaint about my 700 I love the way It rides.I can't beleive how defensive polaris owners get about there atv's.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK guys. As a brand new ATV'er (about 4 hours and 40 miles to date on my new quad) and a Polaris owner who really could give a hoot less about brand loyalty at this point I have what I consider to be a fairly objective viewpoint. I bought this ATV from my Dad (11 hours and 30 miles on it) and I got a really good deal and just couldn't pass it up. In fairness I will say that before he decided to sell it to me so cheap I was leaning pretty heavily towards to AC650LE but mostly just because I think it looks awesome. That being said here we go...

First, the AWD system. This AWD system you are talking about engages so quickly on my 700 that I CAN'T get the rear wheels to spin when the AWD switch is on and that's in the soupiest stuff that you can imagine. So soupy in fact that when I put it into two wheel drive (just to experiment) I couldn't even get it rolling up the slight incline that I was on due to excessive rear wheel spin. That's pretty slippery.

Second. the EBS. Now again I'm new to ATV's so I've never ridden another vehicle of any kind with EBS and I didn't find the "rear wheel only" EBS to be alarming, scary, or anything else that I've been reading here on this post. Going down about a 60 degree decline (yes about 60 degrees) I did feel the rear end sliding just a little at first, but either a little bit of braking or a little throttle kept it right in line where it should be and not once did I feel like I was going to lose control. I can't even imagine the most inexperienced of riders having any trouble with this, and if they do they probably shouldn't be riding at all IMO. Anyway, I'm sure some ATV's have better EBS or maybe even better 4WD systems, once locked in and holding buttons or whatever, but the Polaris is definitely a good all around quad that even new ATV riders like myself can enjoy and have fun. Hopefully I have't offended anyone as this was not the point. The only reason I even decided to write this message is to let this guy know that he doesn't need to feel like the Polaris is a dangerous machine, and hopefully he will decide on whichever he chooses will fit his needs and budget the best!

Ride on everyone as I have found this ATV stuff to be the most fun I have ever had[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Try going down a steep slope, with snow or greasy mud, on an angle and see how you like rear braking only. Not impossible, but way more difficult than it has to be.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Trailblazer

Well, that would be why I not only depend on the engine braking, but also take advantage of my single-lever braking. It's like magic, equally braking the front and rear wheels at the same time !!! Unbelievable !!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the one you like better. They are very comparable machines. The polaris steers slightly easier in 4x4 and has more power, the ac is built like a tank and has a better belt system for pulling.

I really like the polaris awd setup, but the ebs does suck on them because of it, the rear locks up and goes sideways on steep hills, especially if your pulling a trailer or have a load on the rear rack. To you morons saying the polaris ebs is great and that when it's not enough you use your one brake, have you ever rode another new automatic machine? If you were to ride them all down a hill you would find that on a grizzly you don't even need to think about the brakes it keeps you at a perfect speed, on an ac you might have to tap them, and on a polaris you either have to drag the brakes most of the way down to keep it straight, or you just give it some throttle and hope you don't end up gettin hurt. Also the ac is a one lever brake machine, just like the polaris. Anouther thing, to get the polaris in 4x4 in reverse you have to hold the override button, this also gives you full power in revese, can be bad when you are trying to turn while backing up and your feathering the throttle and then wham, your going full speed reverse.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: danzo
Try going down a steep slope, with snow or greasy mud, on an angle and see how you like rear braking only. Not impossible, but way more difficult than it has to be.
I thought my post was pretty clear but I guess not. I DID go down a steep slope and I DID try it at an angle and it WAS REALLY muddy and like I said it wasn't a problem for even beginner such as myself! Why does it seem like everyone here that does not own a Polaris has to "ding" on everyone that does. I was simply stating what I thought to be an un-biased opinion. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine and like HighVelocity said the front brake lever that operates both front and rear brakes works like a charm. Other bikes may have better EBS in your opinion but the Polaris EBS seems to work just fine for me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] You stick to your foreign made machine and I'll continue to support my "Brothers" here in the good ole' USA and we'll leave it at that!

Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

I can go down a hill(about 60 degrees also) on my Eiger in 2wd, and then down it again in 4wd, and it handles infinitely better in 4wd, no matter how you use your brakes while in 2wd. That is the simple fact. Sure it's do-able on the Polaris, but it would be easier if the front wheels could stay engaged. I have been riding ATV's for 20 years, so don't give me the inexperienced junk, either. As far as the AC goes, I have heard of them having problems with high speed trail riding(losing control), but don't know if you will be doing any riding like that.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

1wook, cool it with the "moron" comments. I didn't knock the other brands and as a matter of fact, I have ridden many different brands of new quads and liked them all. I was just pointing out that the Polaris system is not dangerous as non-Polaris riders have claimed. It's different, but that does not make it dangerous. It seems like a number of riders of other brands take the attitude that it's different than my quad, so it must be dangerous. That's crap !! I have no problems with it and I love my Sportsman. It's built tough and reliable. It rides awesome. It'll do anything I ask of it . Crawling over obstacles (logs, rocks, etc), dragging moose and elk, crossing rivers, climbing and descending steep hills, navigating stretch after stretch of muskeg, etc, etc. It takes it all in stride. Everyone looks for something different in a quad and all brands have their strengths and weaknesses. I was confident I was making the right choice when I first bought my 500SP and now, after 1,300 miles, I know I made the right choice....FOR ME.

1wook, a couple other questions:

1: What makes the A/C cvt better than Polaris'? I've never looked at the A/C's setup, so I'm just curious.
2: You weren't comparing the engine braking on your '98 Explorer with other new quads, were you ? Polaris' EBS is much better on the '03 and up quads than it was in previous years.

Quick Reply: Polaris or Arctic Cat?