Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Kodiak 450 or Vinson 500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 or Vinson 500?

What's the differences between the Vinson & Kodiak? I'm leaning toward the Vinson because of everything I've read about them and I've heard good things about the Kodiak 450 too and they run about the same price too. I'm use to sport machines so I'm looking for something I can maneuver around. I went to the Sukuki dealership yesterday and didn't realize how big these machines are. I might as well get a jeep!

Help me out guys I want to get riding. I'm getting a hitch for my truck next week and am looking for a trailer to pull my ride on. Speaking of trailers any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Vinson is a lot bigger than the Kodiak. I have a Vinson and my daughter has the Kodiak. My wife and daughter won't ride my Vinson, they say it's to big. I like the front locker on the Kodiak so a bought a Detriot gearless locker for my Vinson, but it's not as good as the one on the Kodiak. It is locked any time your in 4x4, and the Kodiak can be unlocked utill you need it. The Kodiak feels smaller when your on it and more tippy, but is a good quad. We havn't had any problem with it. I broke two CV's on my Vinson, thats the only problems I've had. The Kodiak has plenty of power as does the Vinson. I can tow a full size truck into my garage witk either one.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

Okay so the Vinson is bigger but what about hill clilmbing, creek beds, and narrow trails? Also, which one is more sportier. I know they are both great quads and that I'd probably be happy with either but I just want to make sure before I drop $6k+

Now about those CVs. What's the deal with those? Was it from crazy riding or are they just made bad?

Oh, I almost forgot...you mentioned you had the front locker and upgraded tires. Did you happen to ride your Vinson before all the mods, and if so which machine would you say is better stock? Even though I will get mods eventually after dropping all the $$$ it will be a while before having the money for upgrades.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm looking forward to reading your reply. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock the Vinson was faster and more sportier than the Kodiak. I would rather ride the Vinson. I have the 5spd, so I can keep it in 1st or 2nd for deep mud or rock crawling. I have had it to the racks in a deep mud hole. It will climb hills great, I keep it in 2nd and it dosn't spin the tires as much as it dose in 1st. We ride some real rough trails,even on the single track dirt bike ones. Look at my pic's.
The CV' broke after I put on the lift, tires and the locker. They are smallish in size, the new heavy duty ones I got from Rockford are a lot beefier.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider

I've never ridden the Vinson 500 so I can't comment on that, but the Kodiak 450 is a good quad. I use it down at the farm all the time pulling trees, deer, you name it. It's also a really sporty utility quad. That's one reason I bought it. The 4wd and 4wd diff-lock are great. Diff lock is necessary where we ride and that was another deciding factor.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Buy the Kodiak, and do not put any lift kit on a quad EVER! It messes up you drive train and voids the warranty on any quad. If anyone on this forum can ever go somewhere I can't with a stupid lift kit on their quad I will give them mine. Unless everyone you ride with has your setup (lifted w/4wd and monster tires) what is the point in riding with them? Every aftermarket reseller I have ever talked to has strongly recommended against putting a lift kit on an ATV, but sell them because the demand is there for them. I think Highlifter and the OEM's must have a deal going on CV's and out drives. But anyway, the Kodiak's locking diff and auto transmission are the ticket. Believe me, once you ride an auto you will wonder why you bought a manual and hate yourself for it. I had a Grizzly and it was faster, but you cannot ride a Grizzly like a Kodiak, they are way too top heavy. A prevoius poster talked about a detroit locker, forget it. If you install it you void the warranty. Buy the Yamaha and get the extended 3 yr warranty. Best money you will ever spend. Bottom Line: Utility quads are not made to go fast and handle like sport quads period, but the Kodiak 450 and the Polaris Scrambler are the closest you will ever get to it without flippin the thing over for the money.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Now dont get me wrong here I am not bashing machines. But, I have heard about a problem on the vinsons front plastic. I have heard it is brittle and breaks easily. Now, I have also heard that you can buy a front bumper and this problem is solved.

If you get the 450 Kodiak, you may want to trim the bottom front fenders(black piece that meets the running boards) so it isnt a right angle. I cracked mine but it was easily fixed by trimming that side and the other as well. No problems since. The 04 kodiak 450 also comes with a reverse overdrive. The 03's dont have them but you can install a reverse overide swith but takes awhile and is confusing o install. Also the 450 has a limiter on the difflock to about 22km/h. Its not too big of a problem though. (not exactly sure what that is in mph)

So far this is all I know about the 450 and have been very happy with it. these have lots of power and decent top end if thats what you are into. only thing I would trade it in for is a 04 model 450 or a grizzly 660!

Signing off,

KodiakOwner

Old 04-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Trailblazer

The 04 kodiak 450 also comes with a reverse overdrive
Actually the override is for the diff. lock. It allows you to go over 22mph when it is locked in. There still is no override for reverse, which really sucks when you're stuck in the mud and trying to go back and forth to get out. Reverse could be geared a little lower too if you ask me. Other than that I love my Kodiak 450.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

Outrage,

I see you are getting serious now that it is getting warmer. I have ridden with Snug and he has a Vinson, actually 2 of them now and I believe the Kodiak450 and the Vinson are very close to being equal so you can not go wrong with either one.

As for a trailer for it, I would suggest getting a two place (8'x10') this way you will have room for another buddy to go with you. Riding by yourself is fun and I do it all the time but it is safer to have an extra quad along equipped with rider of course.

I have to say my Kodiak is very sporty like, I know when I hit the throttle it just takes off. Had it up to 57 out at Jim Creek a couple of weeks ago and I am thinking it will do better after I put some more time on the engine, it has 150 miles and just over 20 hours so it is still breaking in. My hunting partner bought one 2 weeks ago and was able to go riding with me last saturday and he was impressed with the auto transmission, it was the fact that when he was climbing the dunes he did not have to worry about downshifting, just give it more gas and it keeps climbing. It has a very sharp turning radius and the susspension soaks up the moguls and when you put it in low it will pull quite alot of weight with out much effort. The reverse limiter is a pain but I have a diagram to bypass it and now that the warranty is up it is time to install it.

Happy shopping and if you check out Anchorage Yamaha talk to Squeeks and tell him I sent you (Matt Florenski) and see if it saves you some money. I have sent 4 guys to him in the last 6 months and I have bought two quads myself and saved alot. AlaskaBoy.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks again for your input. I still leaning toward the Vinson and I hopefully will see you on the trails. If all goes well I'll be riding in a few weeks. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 or Vinson 500?