Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Superwinch any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superwinch any good?

Superwinch-Not bad. I don't care for the free spool ****, though. My bud has had his for a year, and the **** is a beotch to get in and out-even after cleaning. The funny thing about having a winch, for me, is: I believe mine came with an extra set of *********. I've been stuck 10 fold more times since putting that damned thing on![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Connection?

Old 07-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I think I know what you mean about the '*********'. Since installing MY winch, I've rode into 'stuff' that I otherwise would NOT have when I had no winch - and more common sense - ha. But luckily so far, I've not been stuck. There's not a lot of mud in Nevada... And I steer clear of the salt marshes and playa.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

That's exactly the case. The first day I rode after installing the winch, I popped out of the woods into a ditch(that we always ride), finding myself buried over the floorboards. The county road crew had dredged the ditches, turning the packed sand into soup. Total stuck time:7 min. From that day forward, I don't think twice about challenging holes. The only thoughts are-"Damn, this is going to take forever to clean!" I'm a firm believer in "the riding group should have at least one winch". Ya never know................

Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yep. I've come to that conslusion too. Mine has the winch (of course), my wife's does not - though she's lobbying for one (ha).

Old 07-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I have used mine for over a year already. Used it quite frquently to get myself and others out of the deep stuff. It\s been under water atleast 6 times. I even used it once while it was submerged. It helps if you have a pulley block. Put less stress on the winch. The time it was under water the bike was off because I went in way to deep. My brother has gone thru 2 warn 2000 and 1 warn 3000. Go figure.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I dont really have much experience with the superwinch, but as long as it pulls you out then it has done the job.

Funny thing is that knowing you have a winch makes you think you are invinsible. Sunday I went into a hole that i thought was not too deep, and had to use my winch. I put it to the closest largest tree that I could find. It was maybe 2 1/2 inches in diameter so I put it to the bottom of the tree. I pulled the damn thing over on to of me. That was when things got interesting. Then I had to find another tree. All in all, I got stuck 3 times in a 200 ft distance. If I didnt have that winch my bike would still be out there.

I never got stuck before I had my 4x4 quad. coincidence??!! LOL

Old 07-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I had a Superwinch on my King Quad for a short period of time. It was the 1500 series and I found the cable to be to short and the free spool quit after the second time and I had to power in and out after that and lastly it would overheat and quit when I needed it the most.

Bought a Warn 2000 and have had zero problems with it and I have submerged it and impacted it with mud and it keeps on ticking unlike the Superwinch which did not like it I guess. I like my Warn because it is realible and I do not want to have to take it apart and clean it after every ride. The Warn is 7 or 8 years old and it is headed for my wifes machine now.

I agree on the extra ********* thing, I go alot of places I would not go without one and on ocasion I find my self pulling out the old cable. I carry at least a extra 100 feet of rope on normal rides and 200 during hunting season.

Most winches are used very little and you may just get by with the cheapo off Ebay, heck I know guys who still use a come-a-long and some rope to get them through the nasty holes.

AlaskaBoy.