Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Foreman front end noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman front end noises

Hey there...newbie here. I have a quick question. maybe someone can help or has had the same problem. I've restored an '88 Honda Foreman, bike runs great but I hear loud popping sound every now and then when making tight turns...almost like a sharp "click". It only does it on the front end. Could it be the CV's? The front differential? Bearings? I'm at a loss and don't want to go tearing the front end apart until I have a pretty good idea what the cause is.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like it could be the cv joint. Try jacking up the front end, and turning the wheels to the full right and full left, and rotate the tires by hand. Look over the rubber covers, real good for rips, and gaps. You may be able to feel or hear the clicking when you spin the tires, in the air.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I've done that and everything seems fine. It reallyonly does it when the bike's on hard ground. I've never heard it when riding on the dirt. I'm going to tear the front end apart and have a look at the gears. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same noise on my 00 450 foreman. Turns out the front wheel bearing went out. Jack the atv up and move the front wheels and see if you can hear it or notice any wrong movement in the linkage.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

definitly sounds like the bearign needs to be replaced. what makes this even mroe likely is the fact that its an '88

Old 06-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

how many miles should i expect the bearings to last? we have somethin like 4200 on it right now, and its been through about every condition known to man, plus lots of water. speaking of water, in the winter the thing will freeze up solid if you break through the ice on a creek, the next morning, it will drag the front tires. so anyhow, how long? front and back? any easy way to tell without tearin in it? i've noticed a horrible hopping and loud rattle when i'm almost stuck tryn to climb a hill or spinnin in the snow, but i think its jsut the front limited slip doin crazy things.. also, how bigger heavyer tires change the life of the bearings? the stock tires got it and i'm putting on some 26" dirtdevils. how wide can you go on the stock rims? i already orderd the tires, so i guess they will have to fit. i'm goin with 10" on front and 12" on back.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I found out what the problem was. Took it to the Honda dealership and they recognized it immediately. They said to add a bottle of "Limited-Slip Differential" fluid to the differential along with gear oil. You can get it at any car dealership. It worked immediately and now the sound's gone.