Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004 | 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????

I went to an HMF web site and it directed me to a forum where they were talking about the different exhausts and the suggested jetting. I'm not sure what the exact web site was, I just typed HMF exhaust and started looking. Sounds like the QS1 will have about the same power increase as their Utility pipe but at almost stock sound levels. That's what I want if it works.

Old 06-30-2004 | 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

I know this doesn't really matter, but can you remove the labels on the side of the QS1? They aren't the most attractive looking things I've ever seen.

Old 06-30-2004 | 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know . . . but to me, they all look the same, covered in mud!

Old 07-01-2004 | 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Got some interesting news. They don't make the QS1 for and Eiger. Actually, the last 3 listed on their site (Artic Cat, Vinny, and Eiger) are going to be removed and they will not produce a pipe for them. I found this out only after calling to order it, even after talking about it on their forums. They said that the QS1 didn't work with the AC or the Eiger, but were still working on the Vinny. Guess I'll give Big Gun a call and see whats up with their stuff. Talk about discouraged!

Old 07-01-2004 | 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

OK, just got off the phone with Big Gun too, they sell their utility pipes for $320. The rep said I should get a 4 HP change and it is 4-6 pounds lighter than the stoker. Also, he said that it should be between 93 - 95 dB. Quite a bit more than the FMF pipe, but they are in stock.

Ok, just called FMF again. Looks like the first pipes (powerline) for the Eiger will be out the end of this month! There isn't one out there anywhere! Looks like I will just be waiting. Wish that I had known this when I placed the order.

Old 07-01-2004 | 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

Have they improved the durability over there at Big Gun? It may be old news, but I would just hate to see a fellow ATVer buy an unreliable pipe.

Old 07-02-2004 | 07:11 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know. After hearing what you said about them, I did a search through the forums (here and other places) and I saw more negative than positive. That and the fact that it is quite a bit more expensive makes me shy awauy from them. Like I said, I don't mind waiting, as long as they are straight with me and I know what's going on. Looks like right now, I'll get my pipe somewhere's in the middle of August. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2004 | 12:39 PM
MJE
Range Rover

I ordered my FMF pipe from another dealer that doesnt rely on parts unlimited to ship them things...and basically I ordered it on Saturday...got it on monday. Just look around and DO NOT order online. I'm happy with the pipe after riding the other day for the first time. My quad has some serious punch to it now.

-MJE-

Old 07-02-2004 | 01:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

MJE,
Just out of curiosity, what quad did you put it on, and how does the noise compare to stock? Any rejetting required, or bolt and go??

Old 07-02-2004 | 02:20 PM
MJE
Range Rover

well I put the jet kit on at the same time (i wanted to re-jet) which was simple as hell

its significantly louder than stock IMO...it idles louder but has a much better idle...starts with ease and idles cold/hot without choke anymore. It went onto an 03' vinson 500.

which im not having problems with my radiator fan. I pulled off the 2 wire connection that goes to the temperature sending unit and tried to jump each side to make sure fan isnt broken and it barely moves. I hate my life. I wonder if the 6 month manu warranty will take care of it or if im out another 250 bucks. I did my own service so I dont know if that voids the manu's warranty.

let me know.

-Mike

Quick Reply: FMF Powerline or HMF Utility????