Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV RIDER magazine

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV RIDER magazine

Check out the Sept. '04 issue. They are leaning towards 4x's in a big way. IMHO, the un-biased opinions of the ed./articles makes this the premier "enthusiast" magazine. No a$$ kissing to Kawi-check out the B.F. test. No "bow-down" to Yamaha. Some might see ATVR as pro-Suzuki, but they removed the Eiger from a shoot-out for electrical problems-and reported it. ATVR is a good, grass roots type magazine-kind of like BIKE used to be-for MTB'ers.
Yeah, one might think they are on the take from Yam., but then think they are on the take from Suzuki-but........they freely dis' both manufact. for their lacking in respected fields! Say that for whatever ATV rag you read!

Old 07-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its the only one i subscribe to. They seem to call it like they see it.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I subscribe to several and I havent noticed any kissing up to kawa, or suzuki or anybody. When they do a shootout, there is usually only 4 or 5 riders and often they are even the same riders from the last shootout. This will tend to give a subjective opinion. I wish there was a consumer report site for atv's. That way, the general public can voice their opinion and since it would be a large number of people, it would be more objective.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

When you read a shootout in other mag's, the criticism of "X" quad is muted. "Oh, we didn't like the pegs. Well, the steering was a little fluffy." Man, ATVR ~calls~ it. Yamaha- YFZ has kicked a$$ in every shoot-out. Bruin-well.....not so good. You can name the factory, and these guys call it as it is-in "real-world" situatuions. Best quad for hunting.......etc. I'm not kissing a$$, they just seem to be a bunch of guys like us-only they have access to nicer/newer rides! Read an issue-cover 1 to cover 4, and post if you think they're biased.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I have been getting ATVRider, I don't even bother with Dumb Wheels anymore.

Great mag.

Old 08-23-2004, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

Hey funny to see this on here! I am in that issue! I was one of the guys at the tire test and it was a blast! The guys at ATV Rider are great! IMO they give it to you like they see not by how many advertising dollars are spent like that other magazine...

Old 08-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: LotusPosition
Since I have been getting ATVRider, I don't even bother with Dumb Wheels anymore.

Great mag.
yeah dirt wheels seems to be opposite of atv rider. i like atv rider a lot better.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

I find ATV Rider to be an excellent magazine. Also, it is not filled with page after page of advertisements, stuffed between a couple of paragraphs of actual content.

rhinhd,

You said that you were in the mud tire test? Maybe you can answer a question for me. In the picture of the quad running the GBC Mudhogs, it looked like the left front tire had the tread pattern reversed. Did they do this just to keep the picture of the "mudhog" on the outside of tire? Also, of the 4 sets of tires tested, which do you think was the best "all around" set?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:24 AM
Pro Rider

Dirtwheels is probably the biggest due to alot of reasons mainly the letters section in which alot of people enjoy including me and my family. I love atv rider but they need to put out 12 issues a year and have a letters section or readers rides. I don't agree that the bigger mags are on the take, that is an excuse for our personal brand bias getting the best of us when the quad that we like is put down. Which all of us are usally at least a little guilty of this. We all just need to remeber that most of the time they are using pro and expert riders to test with and looking for quirks, When we ride we look for fun. Am I right?

Old 09-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Adirondack
I find ATV Rider to be an excellent magazine. Also, it is not filled with page after page of advertisements, stuffed between a couple of paragraphs of actual content.

rhinhd,

You said that you were in the mud tire test? Maybe you can answer a question for me. In the picture of the quad running the GBC Mudhogs, it looked like the left front tire had the tread pattern reversed. Did they do this just to keep the picture of the "mudhog" on the outside of tire? Also, of the 4 sets of tires tested, which do you think was the best "all around" set?
I don't have the Mag infront of me but I know those pictures where taken all thru the test. I am not sure the tires match the sections they are in. I will look when I get home. As far as My favorite "all around tire" that we tested, it was the itp589. The mudhogs where the best mud but sucked on the trail. Way to heavy and hard to turn, but in the mud they where just a bit better then the ITP589's. My next tires will be the 589's.

Quick Reply: ATV RIDER magazine