Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

To Much Power????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Much Power????

Thats DW for ya, they will say one thing then come back and say something that would make what they said before untrue. A bunch of dumba$$ people up there if you ask me.....

Old 08-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a rule, I generally read every article I can on a model before passing judgement. What I have found is that most of the magazines are pretty much in line with one another, regardless of who owns them. The new ATV Rider has a more favorable review of the BF this month, although they also chastise Kawi for poor handling under power and also rear suspension action. My theory is yhat Drtwheels is just trying to scare newbs away from this quad. Experienced riders will take that review with a grain of salt and it probably won't turn many veterans away from this bike. I also suspect that Kawisaki may be more inclined to fix any first year shortcomings this way.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I personaly think that kawi would have had the king title sinched if they had just put the new motor in the prarrie chassis, everything I have read and expeirenced with the ATV's I have had in the past and the ones I own now, tells me that in full agrement with the past reviews and titles the p650/p700 have won. That giving up a little bit of ride quality and ground clearence is well worth the performance and handling gains. Afterall thats how they have won almost every shootout that they have been in (that extra fun factor). That awsome power and sporty handeling the prarrie's have, scores realy high marks with the experts and amatures like myself. I once thought that I would never own another utility without IRS. After buying my first P650 I sold all my other ATV's I never wanted to ride anthing else, I sold my Raptor my Grizzly and later a V-force that I mistakenly thought was just a faster lighter prarrie, I have never had a more versital fun to ride quad than the prarrie/twin peaks.

I hope history serves us all right and kawi follows up the BF by passing its motor on to the prarrie as the V-force did 6 months after its introduction. You can bet in the prarrie chassis no one will be complaining about handling and having to much power. It would be even better to toss in an EFI system when they do, and return the prarrie to its rightfull flagship position in the line up.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

While you're typing about DW. I can't get past the 400ex DW used in the Raptor 350, 300ex, 400ex shootout. They really should have used a stock 400ex. It's like the one article including a Rincon with aftermarket skids. (in another issue) It's like kids are running the magazine and they have to borrow their buddies quads for the shootouts.

One thing you wouldn't hear me complaining about if I owned a new KQ. - "Darn it! It's just got too much power!" The more I think about it the more I think I want one. Just because DW said it had too much power.

Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

I second that!

Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

While we're on the topic of power and I see that Coyotechaser is in the house, what do you guys think of these rumors about the new 250 4x4 supposedly coming from Honda? My question to anyone with solid knowledge or an educated guess is......why a 250? It would probably be nice if it was in a really lightweight setup, but a 250 4-stroke has it's limits being a 250. You can't drop one of those high-performance 250s they use in mx bikes into this thing because you can only go about 100 some hours before needing a top end rebuild. Why not improve upon the 350 in the rancher at least or a 400 better yet? Also, are we thinking 5-speed auto clutch or Hondamatic in this beast?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't hear about that but I can tell you I've seen some of the old 300s do some amazing things.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

I just skimmed through the article and don't reallt remember much about it, but doesn't the BF have the gas tank in the back. I think that would make a world of differance if the weight of the gas was up front where it is supposed to be. If I'm wrong about the position of the gas tank, sorry.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RedGoblin
While we're on the topic of power and I see that Coyotechaser is in the house, what do you guys think of these rumors about the new 250 4x4 supposedly coming from Honda? My question to anyone with solid knowledge or an educated guess is......why a 250? It would probably be nice if it was in a really lightweight setup, but a 250 4-stroke has it's limits being a 250. You can't drop one of those high-performance 250s they use in mx bikes into this thing because you can only go about 100 some hours before needing a top end rebuild. Why not improve upon the 350 in the rancher at least or a 400 better yet? Also, are we thinking 5-speed auto clutch or Hondamatic in this beast?
I haven't heard too much about a new 250. I have seen reconranger mention it some. I have seen it mentioned briefly in one or two magazines. Suzuki had the 250 quadrunner 4x4 utility and another example would be the Timberwolf 250 4x4 utility. If done right, a 250 4x4 could be one heck of a machine. I really liked my little Recon. It could go everywhere the larger quads went and more. More= Under gates and downed trees, between tight spots and hop with ease because of it's light weight. If I did get stuck. I could just pick it up and move it. I always thought that the Recon would be excellent as a 4x4. (especially for snow) If they could make it a full 250cc or at least 249cc's. and keep the weight down. One way to keep the weight down would be to drop the racks and call it a sport 4x4. Add a bunch of plastic parts would be another way. Some reason, I just can't see Honda putting a real sporty motor in a 250 quad. I could see them do a little this and that to an average 250 motor. Then put it in a light 250 quad and call it a sport 4x4. If Honda is making a 250 sport 4x4. It's got to weigh in at 400lb. or under. If not, then why bother? It shouldn't be compared to the big quads. It would just be another tool for a different job. Depending on the gearing, power & weight, it would probably be great for where I ride.

Hopefully we'll find out what's going on in Sept. (if anything) It's now only a month away.

I think a 400ex made up like a Wolverine (with select 4x4) would be a great sport 4x4.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, reconranger seems to be crazed with this new machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]KNOWSALOT finally confirmed AT LEAST two all new ATVs from Honda as well as some new bikes too. While he also said there will be updates to existing models, to Honda that sometimes just means a new plastic color choice and "bold new graphics!"

Quick Reply: To Much Power????