Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

best utility of all time

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best utility of all time

The Hondas have sold a lot of ranchers... but I think if you are talking about all time 4x4, I think the Grizzley re-invented the big bore with ***** utility craze.... I don't know if we would be seeing all these 700 class machines now days unless it had came out all those years ago. It was pretty much ahead of it's time when it was introduced.

Now talking of sport models, the Warrior is STILL the number one seller of all time. Even if they now call it the raptor 350... there for a while, Yamaha was the only game in town... when the others were scared away for a while... But with everyone jumping in these days, the sport has become much better with all the competition...

Old 09-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
The Hondas have sold a lot of ranchers... but I think if you are talking about all time 4x4, I think the Grizzley re-invented the big bore with ***** utility craze.... I don't know if we would be seeing all these 700 class machines now days unless it had came out all those years ago. It was pretty much ahead of it's time when it was introduced.

Now talking of sport models, the Warrior is STILL the number one seller of all time. Even if they now call it the raptor 350... there for a while, Yamaha was the only game in town... when the others were scared away for a while... But with everyone jumping in these days, the sport has become much better with all the competition...
the grizzly was a response to the polaris sportsman 500, and the 500 is what revolutionized the big bore marked with it's power, true 4x4 and IRS.

as far as sport models, none have matched the Honda 250R for it's time and probably won't.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

kq, and the vinson set the stander for the sport/ute revolution, i remeber when it came out beating ever quad in its class, and some larger.

Old 09-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vinson581
kq, and the vinson set the stander for the sport/ute revolution, i remeber when it came out beating ever quad in its class, and some larger.
vinson? you've got to be kidding. the vinson also followed in the footsteps of the sp500. now the original KQ, that's another story. really it was a machine way ahead of it's time. it had the features the big bores have today, but it didn't have the power. i could see where one could make a good argument here for the KQ, but the vinson, c'mon, give me a break!

Old 09-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Range Rover

Sure the old KQ's and Honda 300 4*4's are probably of all time, but right now it would be the Bombardier Traxter XT, it is the king of utility and that is what this post is about. Why well,

Locking front end
heavy
Liquid cooled
rad is in the back so it can't get damaged.
Geared tranny
HI/LOW gearing
Very stable
Step through for getting on and off a lot.
500 CC, with tones of torque
Motor is bullet proof to say the least.
Will pull the most weight of any ATV without wearing or breaking as it was made to WORK first and Play second.
No BS about it boys.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Stumppuller1
Sure the old KQ's and Honda 300 4*4's are probably of all time, but right now it would be the Bombardier Traxter XT, it is the king of utility and that is what this post is about. Why well,

Locking front end
heavy
Liquid cooled
rad is in the back so it can't get damaged.
Geared tranny
HI/LOW gearing
Very stable
Step through for getting on and off a lot.
500 CC, with tones of torque
Motor is bullet proof to say the least.
Will pull the most weight of any ATV without wearing or breaking as it was made to WORK first and Play second.
No BS about it boys.

You're dreaming.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

hmm... traxter eh? Well, I'd like to add that Honda is pretty much unique in it's hydraulic Automatic Transmission... (We don't need no stinking belts)... although on the Rubicon, they forgot to give us the ability to switch between 4 and 2 wheel drive... still one stout machine... besides the step through design always conjures up images of riding side saddle.... OK for the wife, but I like to sling my leg over the seat like the manly men do.... <insert smiley faces, lots of them>

Old 09-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Not all of us but some of us need to re read the original post. UTILITY not sport utility.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

Does anyone really think that that another brand or model OTHER than the one resting in their garage would be superior to the one they paid hard earned cash for? Would you admit that you made a decision to buy something less than the ultimate? Human nature at work here...

I for one do not claim to own the best, fastest, or even the prettiest. I bought my Rubicon Ute based solely on the dealer having a deal I couldn't pass up at the time I went shopping. I had done all the research, and had settled on getting a new Kodiak. But when I got to the dealers, and saw that the prices had been dropped 1200 under retail on the Rubicon... it was only a question of color at that point. (YELLOW). There went all my research data right out the window.

I still walk past the Kodiak and Grizzly and think how nice it would be to have one... but in reality, the Rubicon is just fine for me. And I like the auto tranny so much that I bought a rancher for the little lady. I figure I had better buy her one of her own, so she don't howl when I drive up with that new Rhino on the trailer someday. Of course I still have to finish that new garage to put htem in.. I recon I will need to put in a roll-a-way bed too, since I'll probably have to spend a few nights sleeping out there with my ATV's after that.... and my dog....

Old 09-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

id say the honda 450 foreman or trx 300 4x4 or even king quad 300[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: best utility of all time