Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

best utility of all time

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best utility of all time

The Prairie 700 is probably the best sport utility ever made,
but as far as utility only, King Quad 300.
Suzuki really had something there, but people wanted
bigger engines, push button 4wd, bigger tires, liquid cooling, etc....
While all these things are great, utilities today still dont have
the tranny that the old King Quad had. THAT is where
it shined.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I'll agree with you on the big wheel... unfortunately, I was already grown when it came on the market... My persoanl favorite would be the Deuce and a half that we had around the time Viet Nam was going strong... Nothing, and I mean nothing stood in that baby's way.

Of course I do have a sentamental favorite too... my dad brought home a jeep with a small howitzer mounted through the windshield once when we were having a dispute with our neighbors.. and he parked it with the barrel pointing at their bedroom window.... didn't have to say a word... they saw the light and gave in.... Not sure of the caliber, but it was about 3 to 4 inches... Ya gotta love a dad with access to toys like that... and he usually won his arguements.. one way or another...

Old 09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

full uti the KING rules. the trans is greate sept on myn cuz it only workes in supper low and if i put it in low or high give it gas it jams and stalls on one know y?
oh and as for the big bore revolution the SPORTSMAN is and will allways be the best. nothing can compeet with a polaris bigbore! need the 800EFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] but i aint got the cash [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I'll agree with you on the big wheel... unfortunately, I was already grown when it came on the market... My persoanl favorite would be the Deuce and a half that we had around the time Viet Nam was going strong... Nothing, and I mean nothing stood in that baby's way.

Of course I do have a sentamental favorite too... my dad brought home a jeep with a small howitzer mounted through the windshield once when we were having a dispute with our neighbors.. and he parked it with the barrel pointing at their bedroom window.... didn't have to say a word... they saw the light and gave in.... Not sure of the caliber, but it was about 3 to 4 inches... Ya gotta love a dad with access to toys like that... and he usually won his arguements.. one way or another...

That is awsome

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]
Originally posted by: 4wheelerfred
full uti the KING rules. the trans is greate sept on myn cuz it only workes in supper low and if i put it in low or high give it gas it jams and stalls on one know y?
oh and as for the big bore revolution the SPORTSMAN is and will allways be the best. nothing can compeet with a polaris bigbore! need the 800EFI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes the sportsman's are very good, but remember......that is your opinion as far as being the best. They have great IRS and tranny, but when it comes to pure motor, I have to say the 650, 700, 750 vtwins are the best motors. They produce the best HP and torque over all of the RPM's. But also, the best utility is not totally all about the motor.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

talking of the hydrolic honda tranny, well it cant be fixed if it breaks its sealed so that sucks, and tell me do you like to drain 5qts of black goop everytime you do a oil change, and btw the vinny did re set the standard of sport-ute(forgive me for saying this in the ute topic) but it flat out killed the sp500 in everyway in shoot out after shoot out, and also btw i should know i got a rubi, vinny, and sp500 h.o so im not all uptight about brands.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

whos with me type " SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN SPORTSMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2004, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer

Sportsman really????? As of today there are three seperate recalls on the 7oo twin. The least of it an engin that leaks gas all over the place. My neighbors twin starter bendix keeps going out and no pull start. Polaris has had some nice models. But with all the recalls the twin might be powerful, but its a powerful dog.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hmm, my research on the Honda's automatic has shown different results. The black goop you refer to is puzzling. If I am not mistaken, you change the tranny oil every time you change the motor oil, as they both use the same reservoir. It would appear on the surface that the machine in question may not have been maintained to a very high standard in that case.... Is this personal knowledge? Or rumor?
My friends at the dealer indicated that their experience has been that the tranny has been bulletproof. I believe you would hear a lot of howling on forums like this and frankly, I just haven't heard anything that matches your description. If the first year Raptor 660 tranny is any example, I think the troops would be sounding off bigtime by now.
Time will tell on mine for sure, as I haven't had a lot of experience with having to get things fixed. In the 18 months since I bought it, I have had zero problems.
What I have heard, from many on these lists, are complaints about certain belt drive systems breaking belts, needing frequent adjustments, slippage when wet etc.... but again, I have no personal knowledge of this.. but judging by the sheer numbers of complaints, I'd have to say that it may be something worth noting. Would it all affect a purchase decision? Probably not. I think both are proven systems that provide decent performance if maintained according to factory specifications.
My only comment on the hydraulic version is that in Honda's case, it is unique, and something that nobody else has got. I will say one thing though, judging by experience with cars, a hydraulic transmission that uses a true fluid driven torque converter to transfer power will NOT show wear under extreme loads like a belt will.... and they will not crack or "age" due to heat, nor do they stretch and require adjustments etc. If the fluid is maintained, I do not foresee major problems with it, and Honda has addressed this with their common oil reservoir design.

Your milage with this may vary, but it just has not been my experience

Quick Reply: best utility of all time