Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New Quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Quad

My first quad was a Kawasaki Bayou 250. I was riding with my dad this weekend and saw another group of riders. One of which was a Yamaha Wolverine. Now I'm relatively new to riding, but that half-breed intrigued me. I've been reading allot about the Wolverine and other quads around $5,000 and have come down to two quads, the Wolverine and the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Manual LT-F400F. At my local dealer, both are the same price, so I’d like to know opinions of those who have ridden either, or both of these quads.

Old 09-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Quad

Eiger has selectable 4x4 and high and low range and larger displacement and more utility if needed.
I have raced wolverines in the sand and wooped them. But if Yamaha would do a little revamp on the wolverine then I might go that route. the wolverine does wiegh less.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Quad

I've liked the Wolverine since I had my Warrior. There's something attractive about a light 4x4 that is kind of sporty. I think this is an area where a lot of atv companies are lacking. It would be nice if Yamaha would update the Wolverine. New plastic and selectable 2 to 4x4. I guess the attraction is similar to having an old jeep or something. It has a little character. It's not trying to be well rounded to attract different types of people. It is what is, it's a sport 4x4.

The Eiger is trying to attract different types of people. It's a good quad with a selectable 4 wheel drive. It just doesn't have the charater of the Wolverine.

Either quad would be fun to ride. It really comes down to how and where you ride. Also which you like better.

I would probably buy an Eiger before the Wolverine. Mainly because Yamaha needs to give the Wolverine a little more attention than adding or removing the racks. The Eiger would suit my needs more than a Wolverine. But that is me. You choose what works best for you.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Quad

you will be happy with either one ..the wolverine doesnt have a 2 wheel drive mode. but it depends what your looking for.the wolverine is more sporty where the eiger is a little of both ,sport and utility. good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Quad

Of course he could always modify the wolverine with a warn selectable 2x4 and add exhaust,air filter, and rejet.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Quad

I'm leaning toward the Wolverine, even though it seems like the Eiger would be a better deal. I've been told that in the mud, 4 wheel helps but you can do allot of the same things on a 2x4. At my local dealer there is a used Suzuki Quadsport Z400 for $4,799 and the weekend I was riding I saw a Polaris Predator. I like the quadsport because I’m very competitive, although I wouldn't be racing officially, but I like being able to hang near the front and play around with the leader. This summer we rode with some friends and I was trying to keep up with a Sportsman 500…on a 250. So would a Wolverine be able to perform well enough for me, and how well do Quadsports do in the mud??

Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Quad

Having read the post above, will a sport be better for me?

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2004, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Quad

Keep in mind that I have a sport and a utility. I say the eiger is still your best bet, I ride with my friends AND THEY Ride 250r, banshee, raptor, z400,blaster, 300ex and a 400ex, the only time I can't hang in right on thier rear is when were on logging roads or in the dunes. When we ride trails I can sometimes go faster in the stuff that they would possibly get hung up on. People that haven't rode with utilitys , especially sport utes are always supprised when we ride and I keep up with a utility. If you can try to experience as many diffferent rides as you can, before you buy.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Quad

have you looked at Hondas Rancher or Foreman S? or the Bruin 350?

Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New Quad

I haven't heard great things about the Bruin. And I not a big fan of Honda's, no offense or anything.

Quick Reply: New Quad