Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

KODIAK 450's ? How is your's holding up? Just got an '05 camo!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KODIAK 450's ? How is your's holding up? Just got an '05 camo!

I love this Quad and it seems pretty bad ***. The rear brake squeaks quite a lot, but goes away as soom as I touch the brake, so I guess the disc/ pad clearance is really tight when brand new. I was surprised that the front end will drift when going faster than 35mph on hard-packed dirt.**** Kinda' squirrelly = kinda' scary**** Anyone else have either of these two problems? It starts right up if I even breathe on the starter button. If I choke it, It dies right away ...(78 degrees). I think it looks way better than most quads. The styling on the front is sweet. It looks like it has a face or something. Definitly feel like I got the exact quad I want. Has anyone had any problems with his/her kodiak? I would like to know how she'll hold up.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

That's good to hear. I'm planning on getting the 450 for my wife. My Grizzly has the same problem with the rear brake. It gets better with time. How much do you weigh and how do you like the power on the Kodiak.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I bought an 04, that has the same issues. The queaking rear brake, ive just tuned it out...it only does it for a few minutes on each ride.
The front end seemed quirrely on mine too, and I found the toe, was set to toe out, from new. Its supposed to be toe in, 0 to .39". So check that out. It works much better at about 1/8" toe in, which is what mine is now.
Ive also noticed the camber, is quite pronounced, especially with no weight on the quad. I guess its for making the front easier to steer, but makes it handle a bit odd...especially on downhill corners.
Other wise, I really like the motor and tranny, it really rips, when I nail it. And the exhaust sounds great , for a stock exhaust.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

I weigh 165, so the squirrelyness is a little more noticeable. Your lady will like this quad. It would be hard not to. Comfortable, modern, compact, powerful, versatile. The only thing it will need repeatedly is a wash! So have fun. I am thinking 400's and 450's are where the true power begins for quads. 200's and such are quite quick and awesome fun, but these wheelers of ours are actually swinging some torque. I almost sound like a salesman. Oh, well, I must like mine a lot. Right on YAMAHA. My first one.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Wow. That's (great?) to hear!....I mean.....That the squeak spins out eventually...and that my quad is not an anomaly bike with a rare brake problem. I figured it would go away. My front pads on my kx250 squeak now and again. Toe OUT huh? wow. I will definitely peek on that tonite. That's quite helpful of a response, there honda buster. Thanx! The exhaust does sound good. I actually moved out of oakland, so I will be able to ride it more. It's just sitting here in the garage with asphalt everywhere. The camo mocks me. Ever watch the outdoor channel? When I knew "realtree h.d." (hi-def) was available on quads, I Immediately went to look at the Yahahas. (actually, I looked at polaris, we have friends (Ronnie) back east who own a pollie dealership, but there were none close to oakland,soooooo I actually wound up liking the yami better after comparing styling and promos. Got a warn winch for $69 and the 3.9%. The winch deal was especially cool. Haven't picked it up yet. I paid full retail plus chumpy fees for set up and tax, and feel the winch was the only thing that kept the deal possible. After all, when I call a month in advance telling them I want the first one....the were like.....hmmmm supply= x demand =y All equals bad price for me. So It doesn't matter in the end. Acessories alone will cost a "g" in time. But I got the first one in central california. Later I 'm going riding.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear your report on the Kodiak. I know my wife will love it, if I can get her off my Grizzly. What size winch did you get. They didn't have the winch deal going on when I bought mine, but they gave me a real good deal on the Warn 2000. I had to install a brake in it, but I think it's a good winch. I also hear that the switch tends to burn out. I'll have to deal with that when it happens.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats, does it have independent rear suspension? I think i read the 05's do...

Old 09-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

yes the 05's have IRS.... just to let u know the kodiak is a VERY reliable machine... mine did very good for me except i was just plain out too rough on it. 8-9ft jumps aint too healthy for a utility like that (dont worry, i stopped doin that). only probs i had were from my jumpin, except when i stripped the back right hub off the axle. had trouble keepin brake pads on it (back), and blew both front balljoints, had to replace the swingarm, and kept losing rear tail lights (rammed to much)but this all fitted my riding style, so dont worry, it wont do it so much for u.... i hope....... welded that up. i put 5200 miles on that kodiak.. then i got my scrambler. i wanted SRA and kodi went independent..otherwise i would have a 450 right now.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

whoops.... welded that up was supposed to be after stripped the rear hub.... my b

Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

I've had a lot of problems with my 2003 Kodiak. I think I got a lemon because my buddy has a 2002 Honda, and we ride the same and his bike doesn't have nearly as much wrong with it as mine has. I've fixed/replaced the following

- replaced skid and bash plate, stock is plastic?!?!
- foot wells replaced, which are JUNK on Yamaha if you ask me, it takes NOTHING to crack and break them
- blew a rad hose, no idea how
- CV joint, but thats to be expected
- gone through 2 different speedometer cables!
- blew both headlights because when the bike was manufactured, they put the wrong ones in!!
- the top steering column stabalizer wore out, and upon taking it apart, its made from PLASTIC!! My friend's honda has an actual bearing for the top
- had to replace a battery, that was $130!!! (for a sealed one)
- front brakes have been replaced and have to be replaced again! You only get about 1000km's out of the front brakes on these bikes, good thing the pads are cheap on ebay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
- the racks take nothing to bend out of shape and the front on was so warped I had to toss it, it was beyond repair
- both CV boot guards, which are plastic, broke off........ why Yamaha decides to use plastic is beyond me for these parts!?!
- the steering nut on the bottom of the bike tends to loosen itself off, down to the cotter pin. This has to be tightened after every 300km's or so.. annoying
- front transfer case bearing seal was leaking, but that seems to have fixed itself... thank god, because that is a job and a half to replace!
- there is a design flaw where at high speeds/gear rotation, the gear oil moves into the overflow tubes..... which isn't to bad, except Yamaha has routed these tubes to come out over the air box under the seat?!?!?! This means 80W 90 gear oil leaks out over your motor, and we all know how nice that smells, plus covers the motor in sludge.

I maybe a little rough on the bike, but like I said, my friend has a 2002 Honda and rides with me everytime we go out, and he has had nothing but a bent rim and broken brake lever for trouble. My advice, stay away from Yamaha, buy a Honda!

Quick Reply: KODIAK 450's ? How is your's holding up? Just got an '05 camo!