Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

is the kodiak tippy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the kodiak tippy?

i've heard a lot of people say the kodiak is more tippy than other atv's. Is this true? And also, is the hitch on the 04 kodiak center mounted, or is it off to the side. i know w/ the irs the 05 is centered.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of my buddies have them, and I would say YES, they are more tippy than anything else I have ever ridden. On my Ranchers, I run ITP Holeshot ATR's on ITP 12X7" aluminum rims. Makes the bike about 4" wider, which would help a tippy bike a whole bunch!

Wheel spacers could be another solution, if you must stick with the stock rims.

Old 10-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

yes they are but you get used to it now i don't think its tippy cuz i'm had it for a good bit but i love my kodiak goes everywhere i want it to go and thats all that counts

Old 10-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The trailer hitch is centered on an 04 also.
It isnt as stable as my foreman, but its got more ground clearance. Its a trade off.. the more stable quads, have low ground clearance. If you want good suspension travel, and ground clearance...itll feel more tippy. You get used to it, and learn how hard you can push it.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

I think "tippyness" (like that word?) is a matter of personal riding habits. It depends on how you ride, how you position yourself in the saddle when traversing off-camber ground, and what you do about it.

Until "Consumer Reports" does an in-depth test with a floor they can tilt 5 or so degrees at a time with a quad sitting on it to see when it finally rolls over (and you know they'll never do it anyway...), we'll never know for sure. Your height and weight also play into it. Someone at 6'5" is going to roll over before the 5'5" rider simply because of the difference in 'center-of-gravity'.

So in conclusion (ahem...), I'd say if you ride smart, watch what you're doing, and don't get crazy, you should do just fine on any of the zillions of machines out there.

I rolled mine out of stupity. I forgot the "ride smart" part of my own advice. Luckily, nothing more then a bent rear rack came out of it (and nothing broke or bent on me either). I've got a nice scrape on my helmet to tell stories about though...

Old 10-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know about the solid axle models, but some people confuse tippieness with the sway of IRS. I haven't ridden the Kodiak yet, but I think it's pretty close to the Griz as far as width and I have yet to get the inside wheels up on my Griz.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

It is only as tippy as you are. (hic)(burp) Just don't drink before you ride one.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer

I have a kodiak 400 and i dont think its too tippy. Its easy to whip the back end around and powerslide at low speeds if thats what your worried about. I think the Grizzly 600 and 660 around worse than the Kodiak if that says anything.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

i agree with grizzlyrocks

Old 10-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

MrTommy

Actually taller people might raise the center of gravity while sitting on the bike, but while standing your center of gravity is moved to the point where your feet rest on the quad. 5'5" 190 lbs and 6'5" 190 will have the same center of gravity while the quad is on level ground. While traversing a hill if the taller person is sitting and not leaning the advantage will go to the shorter rider. However, if the taller person leans into the hill their body acts like an outrigger and will be a huge advantage. It's all about rider skill in the end. I ride an 04 grizzly and love it. I don't feel like it's overly tipsy but I use allot of body english to get it through some tough sections, while guys on p700's just bounce and scrap on through.

Quick Reply: is the kodiak tippy?