Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

MBRP pipe for '02 Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBRP pipe for '02 Grizzly

Any of you who have put this MBNRP slip-on "without" air box or DynoJet kitmodifications. How much did it change the jetting? I'm going to continue running the stock filter and airbox.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

I have a dyno jet kit with the MBRP pipe. I was running perfect at a 155 main jet. That is the jet that they recommend. Their jets are a little different than the mikuni jets. I tried to go up to a 160, but it stumbled rich. They were right on with their recommendations. I would get the quadworks kit that I got. Quadworks.net
I did end up modifing the airbox lid with 12 uni vents. Now I am running a 175 main. It is awesome. The only bummer is the increase in air really made the pipe louder. It did make a difference in my bottom end and midrange. I didn't really get that much on the top end. It only runs about 66 to 67mph with the tires hard. I would definitely rejet if you really want it to make a difference. You will be impressed at how much it wakes up the griz. The K&N really does let alot more air through and is worth the money. I have a Uni filter and it doesn't even compare to the airflow of the K&N. I would have to drop a jet to run it well.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

I installed the MBRP slip-on and went up two sizes in jetting. I did not use a DynoJet or K&N kit. I've used them in the past and have found that they usually cause a flat spot somewhere in the power band so I jut re-jetted and it seems very good. After looking at all the dyno charts, etc. A pipe with a DynoJet or K&N kit seldom gains more that 1-2 hp max so i don't think it's worth it.

I only did this to get rid of the wimpy sounding stock muffler.

I agree that the airbox mods will make the bike louder. Just popping off the top lid with the stock filter setup will do that. If you want "LOUD" take the spark arrestor screen out and it becomes very, very loud.

My experience with Polaris bikes in the past, has made me start to think about the clutch kit that is available for Erlandson/Highlifter. I believe it's the same kit.

Any experience with one of these on a Grizz?

Old 11-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

One thing for sure, the MBRP slip-on is one of the nicest looking pipes you can find. Excellent fit and finish. it looks like it belongs on a street/road bike rather than an atv.

Old 11-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have the stock tires kit. It works great on the 26" dirt devils that I have. I bought heavier clutch weights so I can raise my engagement rpm if I decide that I need more bottom end. It will wheelie in high gear without any help at all. It takes away 2 mph on the top end, but it was worth it. My griz tops out at 66 to 67 on hard pack with 7 psi in the tires.
My only flat spot is from 63 to 66 mph. I don't mind that so much.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

batmanacw -

Did you get your clutch kit from Erlandson or Highlifter? I noticed that they are slightly different. Been thinking about which one to use. I've set up a lot of sled/atv clutching over the years on Polaris type clutches. In fact i set up several with thunder jet kits and was the first ever to use a modified clutch cover housing to run the famous "heel-clickers" a few years ago on an atv.

I've always been a proponent of low engagement clutching on my former atv's and sleds over the years. I'm running 27' ITP 589's on C-series wheels.

Noticed that you are relatively close to me. I'm in PA near the I-79 / I-90 intersection. This is the first time I've been back in this forum in quite a while.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with Jack. The MBRP power tech 4 looks great. I had one on my 700 Sportsman. It sounded great as well. I know we are talking about 2 totaly different machines, but the recommended jet from MBRP worked great with a K@N and stock air box. I traded in the sportsman but did take the silencer off. If you know any one interested in it have them PM me.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

The outlaw kit is specifically for huge tires. Like 28" and above. The kit is made by erlandson also. I would call them and see what they say.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Pro Rider

I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between the Highlander version and standard Erlandson version of the kit. Seems that Erlandson made the Highlifter kit, but it's somewhat different. Does anyone know what the differences are? There seems to be a $20 difference in price also.

I'm running 27" tires.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that the outlaw kit gets the rpm higher before it engages. That is because it is critical when your in deep mud to get those big tires spinning. If I was running 27" tires, I would go with the outlaw kit. I am guessing that the epi big tires kit is set up for medium duty riding with big tires. The outlaw will cost you a couple more mph on the top end than the other. I have heard good things about the outlaw kit. I bought lighter weights for my clutch to raise the rpm a little more, but I haven't tried to put them in yet.

Quick Reply: MBRP pipe for '02 Grizzly