Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

getting new quad

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting new quad

i did here that about them and im not bashing polaris i have had my bruin for about a year and no problems i just dont want to get some thing i will regret and the kodiak looks good from what i here

Old 11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

Originally posted by: dbcooper99
The polaris is a poorly built machine and always will be. They are cheaper for a reason. Get the Yamaha if you want a quality unit. The only downside is they like brake pads.

Here we go!

Don't listen to people who bash, they have no clue what they are talking about. ALL the brands are pretty much on par with each other depending on the model you compare. The sportsman line is an excellent choice, as would be the kodiak. I agree with the posters that say you will regret only jumping up a little bit. Get at least a 500cc maching or bigger. Figure out what you are going to use this machine for then just spend some time on this site looking over the different threads. Definately not a lack of information on this site. Just don't get wrapped up in all the bashing it could easily lead you in the wrong direction.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: dbcooper99
The polaris is a poorly built machine and always will be. They are cheaper for a reason. Get the Yamaha if you want a quality unit. The only downside is they like brake pads.
They were, yes. I would never buy a polaris prior to 2001 models. That said, they have improved greatly and arent really any better or worse overall than any other model in thier corresponding class.
prior to 01 huh, well our 98 has been great and 2 friends of ours each have had 99's and they were also good machines.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

If these are the two machines you are looking at then you will want to get the Kodiak hands down. Most of my friends are Polaris riders and they all have told me if you are going to get one you better get at least the 500cc model because 400cc is not enough to move these heavy beasts. They feel way under powered.

By the way what is Yamaha asking for the new Kodiaks?

Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default getting new quad

the kodiak 450 is 5999 but i can get it for 5400 the polaris 500 is 6500 and i can get that for about 5900 i just want to get one that i wont many problems i dont mind spending the $$$$$ im a dirt bike guy coming over to the dark side [just kiding about the dark side] i like the 4x4 stuff hills mud water its all good

Old 11-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

Why didn't you say that you were a dirt bike guy. If this is the case I believe the Suzuki Vinson 500 is the quad for you. It's the best ATV in it's class hands down. It has won every shootout thrown at it and it's so good that they even compair it to the larger 700cc machines. As for power it has more than you will ever need; trust me I got one and ride in the roughest stuff without any problem. It will run with any 700cc machine and will beat many of them. Now since you're a sport bike ride like I was you will like this...it's a very sporty machine. You can slide this machine around corners nearly as good as the sport quads.

IMO this is the quad for you.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

Originally posted by: Outrage
Why didn't you say that you were a dirt bike guy. If this is the case I believe the Suzuki Vinson 500 is the quad for you. It's the best ATV in it's class hands down. It has won every shootout thrown at it and it's so good that they even compair it to the larger 700cc machines. As for power it has more than you will ever need; trust me I got one and ride in the roughest stuff without any problem. It will run with any 700cc machine and will beat many of them. Now since you're a sport bike ride like I was you will like this...it's a very sporty machine. You can slide this machine around corners nearly as good as the sport quads.

IMO this is the quad for you.
obviously you think that cause you have one. i have the sportsman 500 and would highly recommend it, but i think the new kodiak looks awesome too. i'd take either over the vinson cause the vinson is SRA and the other two are IRS.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default getting new quad

No it's not because I have one read my post. I've rode the sportsmans before and they are comfortable but definately not sporty. They are way to heavy and built for work and they do that well.

Don't take my word for it anyway. Ride them both and make a decision. Yes the Vinson doesn't have IRS but there are many many people (I'm one of them) who don't want IRS so it's perfect. If you want something sporty that can handle the big stuff the Vinson is the way to go for a 500cc machine. If you want a workhorse then look at the sportsman but you can get lighter feeling machines that are workhorses.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 AM
Lon
Trailblazer
Default getting new quad

At one time I thought I'd never buy a Polaris, too - always a Suzuki or Kawie for me. But earlier this year I test drove a Sportsman and a Vinson - both GREAT bikes. It came down to HOW I planned on riding, and the Sportsman IRS just suited me better, so I bought the Sportsman. I have been very happy - and believe me, brand loyalty means nothing to me.

The Kodiak has an IRS and it's said here in this forum that it is very good. I didn't get to drive one only because the local Yamaha dealer was a shmuck and apparently did not need my money.

The Vinny is also very good. If you're not dead set on an IRS, it would be worth the time to test drive one.

But back to my point, don't buy into all of the negative hype about the Polaris machines in this forum. Talk to the owners. Another plus is they are giving a one year warranty right now - a huge plus in my book.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Range Rover
Default getting new quad

Bruin350,

be sure to look at the kodiak last and your mind will be made up. i went to the yami dealer just yesterday looking at a Kodiak with 27" 589's and Black c-series alum wheels. that is one fine machine. i was thinking of upgrading to a bigbire next year. but after seeing the new kodiak I may stick with that..... i will wait and see what yamaha does with the grizz for 06.....

good luck!

Quick Reply: getting new quad