Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!!

I find it funny Polaris owners saying they LIKE the brake system on their quads..

Check out this article from ATV Connection:

Let me throw out a question for the masses: Are the manufacturers building ATV's for the lowest common denominator? Are they building ATV's to be so foolproof that any person who can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time can ride one? Is this marketing-driven engineering or lawyer-based engineering geared toward protecting uncoordinated people from themselves?
ATV's are being made for people with no clue on how to ride them, If you can chew bubble gum then you can ride one. At least that is the question here, ARE ATV's being made by some manufacturers for this purpose? Here is more of the same article:

It has been shown that an integrated braking system is easier to use for a "newbie", even when that braking system has been proven to not be as effective on level ground and not as safe for climbing and descending hills. Could it be there was a conscious trade-off of a little safety in challenging terrain for increased sales to people who most likely wouldn't get themselves into a "challenging" situation?
I like to think of myself as an accomplished ATV'r, and so I choose Yahama. I preferr to have more options at my disposal. I don't want to be forced to ride in a manner chosen by the ATV and not myself.

Perhaps this is why Polaris sells so many machines? There are so many "newbie's" entering the sport and these dummied down machines appeal to them, they can chew their bubble gum and ride the Polaris, and stay away from challenging situations. I also started riding Utility Quads on a Polaris, and if you think you can go in challenging areas as well as a quad that lets the driver choose in which manner to ride (ie: indenepdant brakes, 2 or 4 wheel engine braking, diff lock when you want it) I like the Yahama because it has all of this, it's less weight, and very very dependable.

I don't want a "newbie" machine, but noobs can ride the Yahama too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: zorro700
Originally posted by: MNWolverine01
Originally posted by: biohaZ
Originally posted by: FormulaLT1
Polaris Sportsman 800 twin.
amen
Ok, my dad just bought a 2005 sportsman 600 twin. It has all the power you could possibly want and I am sure the 800 has just that much more. According to the Polaris website they are both 765lbs dry weight, 760 and 597 cc's for each. I put about 15 miles on my dads new one this weekend and that thing is by far the worst handling machine I have ever driven and I have been riding wheelers for many years. If you get is stuck you might as well call a nearby company with heavy machinary to come pull you out. I was seriously dissapointed. I think Polaris needs to get a clue and start making lighter utility quads. With the new sportmans you don't need riding skill, they are just big POS automatic tanks.

When we went riding after, my dad who has been riding for years took the 600 twin and couldn't keep up with my wolvy for the life of him. The only place he had me was the long staight stretches in acceleration. Even the top end we were close. Anywhere you need to turn that Polaris is a POS.

I am not trying to simply bash polaris, I like my dads 2001 500 HO and he likes it better too. He just bought the new one because it was a hell of a deal. We have a big lawn to mow and a big pull behind mower. I think he just bought himself a 600 twin lawn mower.

This ones good, I can't resist. Polaris needs to get a clue and lighten up their utility quads? YEAH, and yamaha needs to get a clue and beef up their race bikes because their too fast. Does that make any more sense? No, you need to get a clue and realize it is a UTILITY quad. Ya wanna hook that wolfy up to the polaris? You want to see who can plow more snow? Ya wanna go muddin? Sure they are different than a sra quad when turning but all you have to do is use body language, anybody that can ride can get use to it. You said you don't need riding skills to ride the big POS.........then it must handle pretty good. If you can't ride it,it would be a lack of riding skill. I'm sure you get that part.

I really shouldn't even respond unintelligent babbling, but I will anyways. First I would have to agree with dirtydude that Polaris makes machines dummied up for newbies. (700 efi with a winch and a plow, oooooooooooohhhhhh) Also, Zorro I would like to congradulate you on knowing that a 700 can tow more and plow more snow than a 350, DUH. Then your comment about mudding, sure I would love to go. Name the time and the mudhole and I will give you a lesson in SKILLED riding. I have been riding atv's almost as long as I could walk and I have ridden many wheelers over the years, so I have riding skills you only dream about.

PS If we ever go mudding I need you to promise that you won't cry when a Yamaha half the size of Polaris has to pull you out of the mud. It wouldn't be the first or the tenth time at that, that I would have to pull a BIGGER Polaris out.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Really?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You and your wolfy are going to come show me how to ride? O.K. Centerville, Pa 16404 Let me know when your coming so I can be prepared to get spanked by you and your 350.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

As always with off-road motorsports, it is 90% rider and 10% machine. I wouldn't discount a Wolverine just because it only has 350cc. The last mud bog competition we went to had a Wolverine in it that won the mid-size 4x4 class.

OL.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

amen
Ok, my dad just bought a 2005 sportsman 600 twin. It has all the power you could possibly want and I am sure the 800 has just that much more. According to the Polaris website they are both 765lbs dry weight, 760 and 597 cc's for each. I put about 15 miles on my dads new one this weekend and that thing is by far the worst handling machine I have ever driven and I have been riding wheelers for many years. If you get is stuck you might as well call a nearby company with heavy machinary to come pull you out. I was seriously dissapointed. I think Polaris needs to get a clue and start making lighter utility quads. With the new sportmans you don't need riding skill, they are just big POS automatic tanks.

When we went riding after, my dad who has been riding for years took the 600 twin and couldn't keep up with my wolvy for the life of him. The only place he had me was the long staight stretches in acceleration. Even the top end we were close. Anywhere you need to turn that Polaris is a POS.

I am not trying to simply bash polaris, I like my dads 2001 500 HO and he likes it better too. He just bought the new one because it was a hell of a deal. We have a big lawn to mow and a big pull behind mower. I think he just bought himself a 600 twin lawn mower.
Let me shoot this lie down right now. Polaris has not started to ship the 05 600TWIN yet, so your dad couldn't own one. Sorry....

Old 11-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Hey wolverine.................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Has anyone had experience with the Bombardier Outlander? From my understanding, the Outlander has the best 4x4 system. It's not a twin but is that much power really needed for the best 4x4 system?
Also, does anyone know when the 800s will hit the stores?
Plus, is there any truth to Yamaha releasing a bigger Grizzly?

Sy

Old 11-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

The outlander is a great 400 class bike. The 4x4 system locks in right a way so no worries about shifting out of 2wd.
I like power sliding so full time 4x4 is not my cup of tea but the 400 outy made my buddies sp500 sweat bullets when they raced and I won't say who won. LOL

My buddies get pissed off when I pull break torqs in a small mud hole spraying everyone with mud, knowing they can't treat me to the same show!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

ok..I own 2 poaris 5 and 700 so I will answer my likes and dislikes.....understand I can tell you how they ride...nothing on lngevity because they are only 2 months old.

Very, Very Dependable
no problems yet only 150 miles on them

Best 4x4 System Available
4x4 only applies power to the front when the back loses traction, If you are going straight it is seamless and smooth, if however you are off-camber and turn up hill and hammer the throttle.....the front tires will flip the quad on you ( my future son in law found this out being a jerk show-off). However....the 500 was rolled completley on a hard trail with rocks and there was no damage other than some scuffing to the front and rear racks. All the controls survived.

Huge Amounts of HP (you can NEVER have too much) - I can sit on my 700 and hammer the throttle and it does wheelies.

Capable of Treading Deep Water - Airbox is snorkled up to near the gascap

Descending Steep Grades - I do not mind the rear wheel EBS, I have descended slopes so steep the rear tires slide...if all 4 slide you have no control...if just the rears slide you can steer.

Climbing Steep Grades (without the front end trying to come up)...this is a matter of practice and technique...I have found that with experience you learn how much gas it takes to carry the hill...getting part way up, realizing your going to slow and then adding a bunch of fuel can be a mistake....shift your weight forward over the handlebars.

Sand Friendly (dried lake bed)...sand is also a function of your tires, air pressure etc. and what you want to do...if you want to drag race with the nitrous crowd...a utility is not for you.

Comfortable Ride - you betcha

This is my synopsis of my 2 atvs. and since the 700 only weighs 40 pounds more than the 500....it is definately more fun.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: polaris5610
amen

Let me shoot this lie down right now. Polaris has not started to ship the 05 600TWIN yet, so your dad couldn't own one. Sorry....

Aaron/Polaris5610

I would have replied sooner but I was at the hunting shack for a few days.(deer season) I was not trying to lie, it was a simple miscommunication. When my dad told me it was a brand new 600 twin, I just assumed it was an 05. It is actually a brand new 04 model. MY BAD, I WAS WRONG. I still am completely behind everything else I said about it. I just didn't like it. If you don't believe me that he has the wheeler, call 5 seasons sports in Eveleth, MN and ask them if they recently got a truckload of Polaris 600 twins.

Quick Reply: Most Bullet Proof Big Bore Utility on the Market!!!