Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Vinson 500 manual vs Foreman 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson 500 manual vs Foreman 500

Also Honda is too busy try'n to be an inovater with there wierd transmissions, stick to the basics, that allways seems to work.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: quadduck
Also Honda is too busy try'n to be an inovater with there wierd transmissions, stick to the basics, that allways seems to work.
Their "weird" hondamatic has been out since the 70's in one form or another. The rincon trans is on my short list, but that's not the one we're talking about here. The manual vinson had some serious transmission issues the first couple years it was out, so sticking to a traditional auto clutch manual doesnt always mean smooth sailing.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

The Manual Vinsons never had a "major" transmission problems or even axle problems that were caused by the machine or company defect.

Most people that had complained about shifting problem just changed to a lighter oil or synthetic and when they did it solved the problem. Some people did bend the shifting fork but that was caused by the operator error because they forced the machine to shift when the trans was loaded up which caused the fork to bend which can happen with any manual machine if you try to force the shifter when the trans is loaded up.

I'm shocked no one said the vinson has weak axles which is also not true. People were braking axles because they were spinning the tires to fast in mud holes and the tires would suddenly catch firm ground which would snap the axles. Is that the machines fault the axle broke? No, It because it was operator error that caused the situation. This will also will happen with any machine on the market that puts out a lot of torque to the wheels. Lift kits were another cause for axle breakage. Some people running the lift kits even went with gorilla axles and they were still breaking the axles because of the lift kit.

I know there are no axle problems and trans problems because I own a '03 manual and I am still on my original OEM axles and I run 27" Vamp and I have never had trans problems. I have 1200 miles on my manual. I just ride with some common sense and respect for what the machine can do and can't but I don't baby it either.

My manual Vinson is just as reliable as all my honda's are and I don't regret for one second that I bought my manual Vinson.

Old 01-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Good point, routine maint. and not riding it like you just stole it all the time can and does go along way.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Jeffin,

I'm a little late in posting, but I bought a new Foreman 500 4X4 in December and love it. It has more than enough power to pull pretty much anything you want. I bought mine for recreation use and to use on our farm. It has plenty of speed (57-59) and the lack of low range hasn't been a problem. As far as the brakes go, it does have disks on the front a drum on the back, but I haven't had any trouble stopping even when pulling trailers. I haven't ridden the Vinson (which was going to be my second choice) but I have ridden the 500 Artic Cat and the 500 Sportsman and the Foreman has more power in my opinion. The only gripe I have on the Honda is the fact that you have to remove a plastic shield to check the oil. In regards to the air cooled vs. liquid cooled, I don't think it will be an issue. The Honda does have an electric fan as well as dual oil coolers. I won't be able to get really good idea about the cooling power until the weather warms up a little. Another good feature of the new Honda's is that they will start in gear which is very helpful on hills (I believe the Vinson has to be in Park).

1994 Honda 300 4X4
2005 Honda Foreman 500 4X4 (winch to come as soon as I can find a mount)

Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Hey Crocket-

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Foreman...I always loved my 2wd TRX300's sporty feel, but finally had it with the front and rear drums sealing in the water. (I ride a creekbed on a regular basis)

Highlifter has a conversion kit for the Hondas which will probably fit your scooter, if (when) they fill with water and corrode.

I'm curious to see a shootout with the 500s...hopefully DirtWheels will get on the ball soon

Does your 500 have a locking front diff?

FYI...The Vinson only needs a squeeze on the brakes and it will start in any gear

Old 01-28-2005, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Crocket
Jeffin,

Another good feature of the new Honda's is that they will start in gear which is very helpful on hills (I believe the Vinson has to be in Park).
All the Suzuki Vinson's ('02 to present) have the start in gear feature which is factory installed when they are made.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

If I were looking for a manual, it would be the Vision or Arctic Cat. The Honda is just so far behind. Sure, it won't break down, but either does the rotary telephone my grandma uses but that doesn't mean I am going to give up my cordless one!

Old 01-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I considered buying the 5-speed Vinson before I got the Grizzly. I too, was one of those people that wanted to shift gears myself. But, that changed after spending an hour on my buddy's Grizzly. The auto trans. sure did spoil me. I never thought I'd like an auto. Boy was I wrong!......Anyway.....maybe you should consider the Kodiak or the auto Vinson. One thing that I didn't like about Vinson, was how vunerable the radiator looked. Just thought I'd share my $.02.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Wolverine-Check my pics for a solution to the the vulnerability issue. A couple of bucks worth of expanded metal solved that!

Quick Reply: Vinson 500 manual vs Foreman 500