Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

jumping the ute

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jumping the ute

I Jump a BF750 in the dunes and love it. I would not suggest this for anyone that is not an expert or very advance rider. I watched a girl break her back after getting about 5-6 feet of air on a Grizzly660 and then flipping over the handle bars. Fortunatley the compressed fractured vertebra will heal up in 3-4 months with little permanent damage, but you need to know what your doing before you air out these big quads. You also need the upper body strength to hold everything straight when they land wrong.

High Risk = Lots of fun + pain and suffering

Old 05-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Put me in the category of 'why would you want to'? There are a couple of places on my farm where I can get some air time, but the two big utility quads I've had on those jumps (Grizz, Cat 500i) were both big heavy pigs, clumsy jumpers that came down like a bucket of bolts.

Don't get me wrong, both were fine machines that excelled at what they were designed for. But jumping a big utility? An accident waiting to happen, broken parts waiting to happen.

Save the money you'd be spending on a arms, frames, shock mounts, and driveshafts, and put it towards a low end sport quad. They're just plain fun to jump.

Old 05-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

i dont want a sport quad, if i wanted one, i wouldent have saved 8000 dollers for a ute. no offence, but i think thats pretty obvious

Old 05-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

I jump my outlander all the time. The thing jumps perfect.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Originally posted by: BMP
We will be making an exhaust system for the 800 Po sometime in the next year. We have a test mule here that we are working on. We will try to make a true dual exhaust instead of just a stupid crossover tube to the other muffer. Yes, we will try to keep it as quiet as possible while getting the most power out of it. We will also be taking this motor down soon to see if there is enough room to make it a 900. So there may be a big bore available in the future as well. Just keep checking our website for new products. www.bikemanperformance.com
Cool BMP, keep the Polaris upgrades comin'!

Jim

Old 05-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Hot seat is working on a true dual exhaust for the 800, unless it's already out?

Old 05-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

I just incuded a picture of a Grizzly catching about 5 - 6 feet of air in the Coral Pink Sand Dunes. Check it out under my pictures.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2005, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

nice, curls, how was the landing on that?

Old 05-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

This is a somewhat embarrassing confession, but that's my wife jumping her Grizzly. In my defense though I taught her how to ride. I did the jump a couple of times before she did it and I was bottoming out the shocks. I weigh about 230 and she is about 90 pounds lighter so she did not notice any bottoming. Shortly after this picture was taken another lady on her grizzly landed on the front wheels flipped her quad over and broke her back and 6 ribs. I called her husband a few weeks ago and she is recovering fine but ouch!

I am pretty careful about where I jump. The big quads are hard to get sorted out in the air if you miss the takeoff, but they do fly straight and land real soft. Years ago when my wife started riding she was catching a couple of feet of air, but would not believe me until I showed her photos. That's how soft they land.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

well your on the extreme of what i would ever do, 3 feet and above are for sports and dirtbikes. but i just do minor stuff with my 800. i put my weight in the back of it when i pull it on a ramp so the rears will touch first, the EBS will grab, and the front will slam down. i got it all figured out. sad story, but i feel that i know what im doing.

Quick Reply: jumping the ute