Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

jumping the ute

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jumping the ute

ok, first before I start talking, I know you guys are going to start saying that my quad isnt made for sport use, i'll probebly hurt myself, and if wanted to do this crap i should have gotten a sport quad. so, reason being i didnt get a preddy was that i wanted something with 4 wheel drive, and alot of ground clearence, so i got the best of both worlds and got myself a sportsman 800.

im figureing on for my birthday getting some new tires and rims for off roading and utility perposes as these new PXT tires suit sport utility-ing just fine. i know the front end is sturdy on the 800 as it dosnt even make a sound (you know what i mean) when i pull wheelies and the front slams down. so, what would you guys guess is the limate on what my quad can handle as far as landing on from jumps. im not going to be doing anything rediciouasly insain that only MX riders attempt, but i wanna have fun and i want to push my quad to the limate.

also on after you guys respond to that, is their any modifications i can do to my quad to make it more sporty then i already have it, and is there anything i can get for it to protect it further agaisnt jumps or hard landings when im offroading.

and a last thing, does anyone know of any manufacturers who are making new pipes for the 800 yet? i know companys are gonna have a wild time coming up with drawings for a harley sounding quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] but anyone know of any?

Old 01-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Why not just buy some good shocks and go have fun. We will send flowers just let us know which hospital

Old 01-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

maybe its just me but it seems like jumpin an IRS quad could get dangerous...

Old 01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

It all depends on what kind of jumping is going to be attempted.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Jumping an IRS quad is easier than a sold axle, at least as far as takeoff is concerned, because the takeoff area does not need to be as level. If there is a bump on just one side the suspension soaks it up and you still fly level, instead of the quad being pitched to one side because one rear tire hits a lip on the jump edge after the front tires have already left the ground. Landing sideways can be a real E-ticket ride though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Works, Elka, and Ohlins make suspension upgrades for the Kawasaki Prairie, but I don't know of any for the Polyairis. I say go for iit, we want to know what breaks first [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 01-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

lol, thanks, but i live on 5 acers of treeless land so my dad is getting dirt deliverd in the spring for a garden that my mom alwase wanted to build, he said i could have part of the dirt, so im going to make some ramps, nothing really high, but like maybe launch the quad 3 feet up.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

I have called just about every MFG of aftermarket pipes I can think of and no luck even finding one in the works, I tried HMF, Procircut , FMF, White brothers, and big gun. I hate the waverunner sound it has now, I am about ready to try making some homemade modds to the stock exhaust. Those end pieces were welded on, I am wondering what is behind those caps. I was thinking of cutting a three inch hole in the center of the ind caps and cutting off the down spouts and welding a piece over the down spout holes, thus bringing the exhaust steight back and out much larger holes. I am not sure if it can be done to look right or how those factory pipes are put together to know if this would work or what it would sound like. But I bet a nice set of HMF or Procircut pipes would give it a similar sound to a harley. If you have any luck finding some please let me know. I'll do the same.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Hey Spyder do you know what the OD is on the head pipes, I stop by the local quad shop on the way home and we came to the conlusion that the easiest thing to do for the exhaust would be to take a couple of universal slip on's from procircut of somthing like that and make some brackets (hangers) the head pipe od is what we need, I store all my quads at my place in oklahoma, I am in ks were I work right now. If you know the size I will start working on finding a universal slip on that will work for us.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

i dont know the exact, but it looks like a 2 inch pipe at the rear, its pretty big ***, ive been thinking if maybe a car exaust would fit on one of these suckers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default jumping the ute

Thanks, I will keep you posted on what I find.

Quick Reply: jumping the ute