Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

How Much Do You Charge? - Plowing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Do You Charge? - Plowing

I plowed a few residential drives yesterday (mainly family) and after the job was through they asked me how much they owed me. I plowed all day and turned down money from all of my family members (stupid now because I could have made $100+ but I just didn't feel right charging my family. I did charge one lady $20 that wanted hers done but she only had $15 cash on her so that's what I took.

What do you guys get for plowing a residential driveway? I was thinking $10-$20 in town and $30-$50 for larger country drives...... A guy could make some serious cash in a hurry!!

Also, do you typically charge immediate family members?

Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Range Rover

Plowed my parents out yesterday, and Mom offered me a twenty spot "for my time and gas"...which I promptly politely refused. If I continue to help my parents out when the opportunity arises for the rest of their days, not sure if I could hope to break even. Didn't turn down a cold bud, though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Plowed out my brother as well, and while money was never discussed or expected, his beer always tastes better, LOL. I've plowed out my neighbors on numerous occasions, always gratis. It always comes back to me. Free eggs from the chickens, free pheasants to run my dog on, someone to watch my dog and house when we go away, etc., etc. really can't be bothered to charge any of them... gotta keep the street "two way" if you know what I mean.

As for doing it commercially to make a buck, I haven't got time for that, what with all the free plowing I'm doing! (seriously, I never bought the plow to make money, and really don't have the time to commit. Once you're charging you HAVE to be there, and you better do a fantastic job, and you best not break nothin' or tear up the grass... don't need the headache-)

MB

Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

YOUR CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

My minimum price is $35, and I go up from there. It takes a lot of gas, plus you have to load it on the trailer to get it there.

Don't charge family. They will probably bake you a cake or something in return though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

I was getting between 15 and 20 bucks a driveway when I was plowing my neighbors out when I was living at home still. Most of the driveways were straight and did not require much work, but a couple were circular so it took longer to do. I would plow whenever we had 3 inches of snow or more.. The neighbors would also pay me more when we had larger snows like 10-12 inches at a time.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

It's worth $20.00 just to show up and do something.

That would include a "normal sized" driveway. Seriously, what's a couple of hours straining your back worth to you if you did not have anything other than a shovel?

What's the investment in your machine and related equipment? Your insurance? The slush fund that you should have for breakage and worn out stuff. Forget the fact that we all know this is just an excuse to go out and play (work?) in the snow with your ATVS; if we don't hold the line at $20 MINIMUM, then cut throats will take all the gas and beer money out of this for the rest of us!

Just my my 1000 X $.02 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

wow, i would plow some of the driveways around me but none of the people have any money, besides they dont care they are the people who drive around town with 2' of snow on their roof and a small hole cleared awy on the winshield to see. my driveway is about 75yds. long and with brute and a 60" blade i'm done in no time and it actually takes some of the fun out of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2005, 05:15 PM
TIC
Pro Rider

In two years ive got
pop corn
king size candy bars
deer meat
mc donalds food
a free car wash in the spring
the joy of my 80 year old neihbor waving at me through her window
a thank you note from the church
A 30 pack from my post office buddy

and a phone call from my little sister telling me thanks

OH and there was the time dad called to tell me how wrong I did it!!!!! his driveway did not get done next time. which led to my sister calling me telling me how much they did appreciate it. But I live in a town of 250 people so we are all kinda family.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you plan on plowing to actually make money you better charge a minimum of $20 or it's a waste of time. It's cool to be nice and stuff, but DO NOT FEEL BAD TO ASK FOR MONEY. After all, these machines are not cheap. Of course I help my neighbors out, but once in a while they feel obligated to drop a few bucks in the mail box when I'm not home (can't complain). Don't worry about the undercutters or neighborhood kids who are only charging $10 to shovel the stuff by hand. They'll only get a couple houses before they get tired and go home. Plus, most people want reliability...someone who is there on time (early) whenever it snows. They'll pay a little more for that. Most people around me understand that you have to cover your expenses as well as make a little profit for yourself. Not every dollar stays in your pocket.

There are a few people who I only charge $15 because they referred new customers to me. I also printed out business cards at home and that was the best thing I ever did. Now I got a ton of people calling me everytime it snows. It gets frustrating sometimes, but it's money and my day job is flexible enough to allow me to get all my plowing done. So far, the cops didn't stop me for driving my quad from house to house (knock on wood). That's surprising, but I'm going to keep doing it until they tell me I can't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Bottom line, $15-25 is fair for drives/sidewalks in town and $25-50 sounds reasonable for larger properties. When the snow is deep and/or heavy I usually charge a couple bucks more. I treat what I do as a business, but when it comes to family and neighbors I don't ask for anything.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I do all my 8 naibors and my grandma who is one of them her driveway is 450feet long paved so it's smooth plowing. i do all of them for free never ask for a dime but come friday i usely get about 150$ in the mailbox. so it works out well for me noone thinks i am greedy and i dont think there cheep!lol!
once and a wile wen the snow is too deep for the trucks and atvs i take out my Johndeere with the snowblower mouted thing is fun to drive but any way i do it with that wen it gets to deep lets say 4 feet of drifted snow is way to mush for any atvto push and lots of the plowtrucks cant push it either wen ever are town get in this situation the fire hall calls me up to do them cuz the plows cant lol i love that i have done 179 drivways in 2 days with that blower cuz none of the plow were able to do it i had people driving down the road in there cars stoping me on the tractor and saying thel give me 50$ to come do there driveway wiht the tractor i made 1300$ that weekend dude that bought alot of my accesories! happy plowing.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

my folks in CT have a driveway 100' x 20',,,,,,and they pay $40 a pop

Dad says $40 sure beats a heart attack,,,,,and they are happy to pay it.

they will only come if its over 3"

that included walkways (front and back) and mailbox dug free

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Charge? - Plowing