Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Plowing Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plowing Help

Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot on plows and such, and after a big snowfall and about getting my 2WD dodge stuck in my driveway several times, I finally broke down and bought a 60" Warn Cyclone blade. Just showed up Yesterday and I have yet to install or use it. I guess my questions are as follows:

~Does anyone have one of these cyclone blades...Pros/Cons

~And the biggest question is plowing techniques. I live at a lake and my drive is just dirt/mud (depending on the season) and does not have any gravel, cement or asphalt. When plowing, do I want to keep the plow an inch or so off the ground or do I let the whole weight of the blade rest on the ground. If I do the latter, do I run the risk of catching a rut, and really damaging my blade?? Any suggestions or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

Set your skids and you should be OK

Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

hey azz!
The skids have washers, which determine the height of your wearbar remove or add as necessary to lower or
heighten the blade.If i were you and you mostly plow dirt or gravel road I'd leave wearbar approx.3/4"-1"above.
otherwise you'll be plowing up alot of rocks (bad for plow and wearbar).The weight of the plow lowered will go
only down as far as the skids will allow. Hey Azz just curious what did you pay for the plow?I bought 50" TUSK
DOZER W/SHIPPING for $ 389.00 real stout heavy duty,most I see were $400.00 or more, not incl. shipping.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

Thanks for the replies. I just took the plow out of the box and checked it out. I am already impressed, and don't even have it on my quad yet. This this is very heavy Duty. Nice steel wear bar, looks nice. Can't wait to plow with it. I paid the following.

Item: ADWR67870
Quantity: 1 Price: $33.95 Shipping: $0.00 Total: $33.95--Top snow deflector
Item: ADWR37843
Quantity: 1 Price: $49.95 Shipping: $0.00 Total: $49.95--Mounting kit
Item: ADWR62100
Quantity: 1 Price: $149.95 Shipping: $0.00 Total: $149.95--Push Tube Assembly
Item: ADWR68200
Quantity: 1 Price: $225.95 Shipping: $0.00 Total: $225.95--60" Blade

Sub Total: $459.80
Discount: ($22.99)
Additional Shipping & Handling: $4.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total Amount Charged: $441.76

Ordered it on Tuesday morning and gor it Friday night. Very cool. The reccomends you use a winch with it though due to it's weight. Manual lift is out, too heavy, and they don't reccomend an actuator for the cyclones either. Good thing I got the winch...

Old 01-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plowing Help

Thats a nice blade! I have a Warn standard blade 60" its a rugged blade.And with the winch its pretty easy rig to use. You'll like it even more once its on your 4 wheeler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
have fun and good luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plowing Help

Hi Azz,

I'm looking for a plow for my Sportsman 700. I do not have a winch or anything extra, yet (we just purchased on 2/5). Was wondering if you could provide where you placed the order? Any suggestions on what I would need to get for a setup, greatly appreciated. My husband was hurt, just had surgery yesterday and I'm trying to get the quad going so I can plow us out.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

Snogirl! Go to www.ROCKYMOUNTAINATV.COM great price's standard plow(cityslicker) 50" hand lift
is $349.99 incl. shipping all complete (Quick mount plate,tube runner, hand lift).50"(Dozer)
Angle plow is $389.00 incl shipping. I find that the Hand Lift is less troublesome than the
winch operated.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

there is also a lift that works like a hand brake in most import cars. ( You know the old twist then pull deal) its great and around $65.00

Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer
Default Plowing Help

Snogirl, seeing how you just bought your atv 10 days ago, perhaps you should check with your dealer about a plow package. Don't be mislead, no hand operated plow is better than a winch. The act of plowing requires you to lift and lower the blade MANY times each time you plow. It's absurd to say that raising and lowering the blade is better by hand than by pushing a button. The 700 is a heavy machine and a winch will be an integral and necessary attachment for getting you unstuck some day. If you still squeeze the water out of your laundry with rollers and hand crank then go with the manual lift.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Plowing Help

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't bought from dealer, however, he sold his business and we bought his last 2 Polaris. Didn't have anything I could purchase from him, tried. I do want to get a winch setup. We checked with a local Polaris dealer here, but they were jerks to deal with, so I refuse to buy from them.

Quick Reply: Plowing Help