Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

How much is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is needed?

I am looking at purchasing utility quads for my wife and myself. Have tried to do research regarding different makes and models, but the most confusing thing seems engine size. How much is really needed? She's 5'8" and I'm 6'7". We'll be riding all sorts of terrain from mountain trails to mud and dunes as well. Also hopefully be using it to pull an elk out of the forest as well. Will a 350 work, a 450 or do I need to go up to a 600? Let me know on engine size and any recommendations for bikes would help as well.
Thanks!

Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RioRoska
I am looking at purchasing utility quads for my wife and myself. Have tried to do research regarding different makes and models, but the most confusing thing seems engine size. How much is really needed? She's 5'8" and I'm 6'7". We'll be riding all sorts of terrain from mountain trails to mud and dunes as well. Also hopefully be using it to pull an elk out of the forest as well. Will a 350 work, a 450 or do I need to go up to a 600? Let me know on engine size and any recommendations for bikes would help as well.
Thanks!
it just depends on the level of riding you are doing, deep mud and steep hills? but in the dunes you will need alot of power if you want to keep on top of the sand and prevent from digging yourself out all the time. as for your size, i dont think you would be comfortable on a 350 or 400, depending on the model. maybe a grizzly or sportsman. your wife could do well on just about any atv. hope this helps!

Old 01-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

Well you could get by with a 400 or a 450 and your wife could get by with a 350. You would be happy with those engine sizes, no question. I was happy with a 350 and a 400 for 6 months. Now i'm more happy with a 660. Well now 650, 700,800, a good rule of thumb is YOU CAN'T BUY ONE TOO BIG AND YOU CAN'T BUY TOO MANY AFTER MARKET GOODIES! You can for sure buy one too small and you won't know it for awhile. I highly recommend IRS, my 660 with IRS is like riding in a cadilac compared to my SRA 350 and 400 which ride like Russian yugos compared to the IRS. Forget manual trannys- these automatics are great for anything. If you have the money no question go bigger!

Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 AM
Range Rover

If I were you, I'd by a Honda Rubicon(or Foreman) and a Honda Rancher AT. You will get a lot of people that will complain about the lack of features on the Honda. The thing is though, a Honda will never break down on you and you will be able to count on the machine when you need it. Honda has the best transmission according to atvtv(honda rubicon won 3 spots as the best of 05)www.atvtv.com It also won for best innovation, the Honda GPScape.

A lot of wheelers now offer bigger and badder engines, with all kinds of features(that break). It's very tempting to someone to buy one of these machines with all these features like locking diff, CVT tranny, high power engines, etc. Most people do not need these things. Most people need an ATV that will perform the task at hand and not give a big fuss when you want to fire them up next time and hit the woods.

When you buy a Honda, you know that you are getting your moneys worth, eventhough it may not have all of the features of some other quads. Most of the time, those features break and are not really a necesary component anyway. Honda has all of the features that you will ever need. Honda was the first ATV manufacturer and they build the most reliable machines today(cars or ATV).

Check resale values. Hondas keep their value for a reason. Dont get caught up in the hype and be tempted to buy a huge ungainly machine that you will never need. 10 years ago, farmers had 400cc machines and they worked just fine. Don't let the market turn you crazy by stats.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

It all depends on how fast you want to pull an elk out. A 400cc to 500cc will do just fine. As the quads get bigger, the fuel mileage becomes a factor. Pick one that has the features you like the best and give em a test ride.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Rio:

Might I suggest you check around and find a local ATV club and go along on an outing with them. You will find they will welcome you and allow you to try out a number of different rigs. Any of these groups I have come across are made up of very friendly and helpful people willing to help folks just getting into the sport.

I believe you will find that there are many different machines that will do the jobs you have in mind. The smaller machines would most likely have plenty of power to do what you want, cost less and get better fuel economy. The bigger ones offer more zip and flash if that is what you want. Take a little time and check them out, this is a major purchase not just in cash but your future enjoyment.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your thinking automatic Id say the Sportsman 500 that way its right in the middle,
great all around power .BUT Its a hard call really depends on alot of things....

Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

Alot of people will try to steer you away from the sportsman because they are a heavier machine. Keep in mind you say pulling an Elk....it takes weight to pull weight. I agree a sportsman 500 sounds right down your alley. Your wife would also do fine on a sportsman 500, they are a very forgiving maching. Not to mention the purchase power you would have walking into a dealer telling them you are going to buy two quads at the same time. Plus everything would be interchangeable.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

have you looked at the 05 arctic cat 500's? They have 12" of ground clearnce for muddin androck climbing. They have the weight and power to pull out and elk. but they arnt as heavy as teh polaris' though i dont think.Just somethign to think about.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the best bang for your buck quad i would have to say is a sportsman 500 H.O. plenty of power, great ride, and a large quad to throw that elk on the back, not to mention the stearing for 05 is very light, something your wife would like.

Quick Reply: How much is needed?