Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Is Artic Cat the right machine for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Artic Cat the right machine for me?

Bluethumb, Lmao. I like it when somebody badmouths a brand, then gets made a fool of.

The AC's do look good on paper, but I have no real world experiance w/ them so???? I wont comment on something I dont know about. If you dont think that 500 was enought for you, then try the 700EFI. It is a good machine that has proved itself. I personally like my Polaris, but if you find a Cat that you like, go for it.

I'll say this, I really like the way the Cats look. I like that big brush guard on the front of the new ones.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadduck
Do yourself a favor and stay away from arctic craps. They look good on paper but that is where the buck stops. About the only thing the ac has going for it is ground clearance.
lol thats funny seens though arctic cat and suzuki share alot of the same stuff , such as acrtic cat uses suzuki motors in their quads

Old 04-23-2005, 08:58 AM
Range Rover

Seems to me that one of the reasons I even bought my AC500 was that it had proven SUZUKI components in the driveline. Never occured to me to bad mouth SUZUKI because of it, lol. Take the proven running gear on the 500, add to it the "only thing it has going for it...ground clearance", a huge gas tank, great rack capacity, IRS, the front locker, digital instrumentation... it's a wonder I get up in the morning [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

No brand bashing here, I'm only biased!

Old 04-24-2005, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

Okay to answer up I say this; As far as not owning one, I have and it was gone 1 week after I bought it (a/c5002k3). My dad bought one at the same time and sold his after a month in a half. Excessive body roll, poor craftsmanship on fit and finish, way way wayyyyyyy to heavy, single lever braking, improperly tuned motors( for godsake they use suzukis powerlants and tune the them to run like crap) improperly clutched trannys, They use has been left over technology on thier smaller cc units(old king quads) Heavy steering, Way to tall and tippy feeling and alot of vibration throughout the quad.
Now I will admit they do have cool stuff like strong racks, high ground clearance, mrp option and having the kahunas to build a two rider Quad. The dvx is fine but other than the cosmetic chages it is just the z 400, so if they want to impress me they need to do more of thier own thing like using more of thier own motors.
As far as you guys thinking I am a fool for my responses, I am, for responding to a/c thread, you guys either don't believe me because your blinded by brand loyalty or maybe all you have ever ridden was less than par machines. Oh well I enjoy to a degree riding with you types of guys as I love out performing you all with an inexpensive eiger 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img](BTW the eiger was bought for my wife when I purchased the a/c 500 apples & oranges

Old 04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Range Rover

This could quite possibly be the most entertaining thread in any message board on the net.

Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Plans have changed ,no four wheeler for another year and a half. Gonna go play in a big sand box for a tour. Thanks for all the input though- I wonder what will be available in 2007!!! keep me posted

Old 04-28-2005, 03:18 AM
Range Rover

Oh man, you better stay safe over there and you know where to find us when you get back. I have my best friend over there too and it sucks not having a riding buddy, but he'll be back (hopefully) for 2 weeks at the end of june so that'll be cool. Best of luck to you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadduck
Okay to answer up I say this; As far as not owning one, I have and it was gone 1 week after I bought it (a/c5002k3). My dad bought one at the same time and sold his after a month in a half. Excessive body roll, poor craftsmanship on fit and finish, way way wayyyyyyy to heavy, single lever braking, improperly tuned motors( for godsake they use suzukis powerlants and tune the them to run like crap) improperly clutched trannys, They use has been left over technology on thier smaller cc units(old king quads) Heavy steering, Way to tall and tippy feeling and alot of vibration throughout the quad.
Now I will admit they do have cool stuff like strong racks, high ground clearance, mrp option and having the kahunas to build a two rider Quad. The dvx is fine but other than the cosmetic chages it is just the z 400, so if they want to impress me they need to do more of thier own thing like using more of thier own motors.
As far as you guys thinking I am a fool for my responses, I am, for responding to a/c thread, you guys either don't believe me because your blinded by brand loyalty or maybe all you have ever ridden was less than par machines. Oh well I enjoy to a degree riding with you types of guys as I love out performing you all with an inexpensive eiger 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img](BTW the eiger was bought for my wife when I purchased the a/c 500 apples & oranges

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] So let me get this straight, you bought it without riding it, it was on stock 2 ply tires, there's your handling problem. Did you know you could adjust the shocks, that's what the spanner wrench was for. Shall I continue? It's a UTILITY quad, yes it's going to have ground clearance, it's not meant to handle like a sport quad, your mistake for buying something and trying to ride a 650 pound quad like a LTX400. By no means am I saying Ac's are perfect, but you obviously were misguided and bought the absolutely wrong quad for your riding style and intended purposes. For what this guy wants, he's right on the money.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I'll make this simple. We bought two '04 400i' Cats in late '03. I've got 1300 miles on mine and my wife has 950 on hers. So far, no problems. We love 'em. I've never owned any other machines so I can't compare. But who cares? We love 'em and that's the real issue. But then, I don't buy something and then spend all my time trying to find stuff to complain about. We just get on them and ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, did you read my whole response? Or was that just the part that you thought you could make your point on. One other thing that is on my list that I forgot was resale value, maybe its different in your part of the country being that its closer to the factory and I would imagine there is some brand loyalty out there but thats not the case in the Pacific Northwest. Dont get me wrong I don't hate the a/c, its just not the best or second or third or fourth choice of most people. Also the dealership told me about the shocks and it didn't make enough of a difference. As for buying one the dealers in my area didn't alow test rides, they ride it in the lot for you(big woop)So I relied on the specs at the time and what the sales guy said. The guy thats looking for the hunting quad and farm quad sounds more like he needs a tractor or one of those rangers that polaris makes. Even if all you do is hunt with it the brakes are reason enough for most of us to stay away from the a/c. One lever braking, who are they kidding? Throw some wieght on it, get a deer, try going up a steeper grade and have to stop on a hill for whatever reason. Guess what those rear brakes stop it and can and will cause it to flip over backwards. The samething could happen going down hill. Do you have hills? Maybe you don't , or maybe you only ride around in circles around a cow pasture. So this is why you love the a/c? For some people its just natural to like the underdog. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Is Artic Cat the right machine for me?