Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Is Artic Cat the right machine for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005 | 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Is Artic Cat the right machine for me?

Maybe I'm missing something here. None of my cars have seperate brakes for front or rear, and when I had a Jeep CJ, it didn't either. I drove that thing all over hell and never regretted not having seperate brakes. None of my pickups had seperate brakes. Now, my motorcycles did have a seperate lever and there was a good reason for it. But I just don't see why that's supposed to be such an important addition to an ATV. If you're on such a steep hill that the back brake will toss you over, then you shouldn't even be on the machine. You should be off and using the brakes while walking (or sliding) along beside it. And if you apply the front brake in that instance, you're just going to slide the front wheels anyway, which will give you no control. I think there's just too much made of this issue and once again, it's a matter of what you're used to and what you have. And of course, we can argue this all day long and line up supporters for each side - and in the end I don't think there is difinitive proof either way. It's all about rider skill (or lack thereof) and how and where you choose to ride your machine. Riding with care and realizing you really can't go everywhere is what it's all about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2005 | 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MrTommy
Maybe I'm missing something here. None of my cars have seperate brakes for front or rear, and when I had a Jeep CJ, it didn't either. I drove that thing all over hell and never regretted not having seperate brakes. None of my pickups had seperate brakes. Now, my motorcycles did have a seperate lever and there was a good reason for it. But I just don't see why that's supposed to be such an important addition to an ATV. If you're on such a steep hill that the back brake will toss you over, then you shouldn't even be on the machine. You should be off and using the brakes while walking (or sliding) along beside it. And if you apply the front brake in that instance, you're just going to slide the front wheels anyway, which will give you no control. I think there's just too much made of this issue and once again, it's a matter of what you're used to and what you have. And of course, we can argue this all day long and line up supporters for each side - and in the end I don't think there is difinitive proof either way. It's all about rider skill (or lack thereof) and how and where you choose to ride your machine. Riding with care and realizing you really can't go everywhere is what it's all about. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Good point. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2005 | 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I don't believe you, because had you actually ridden a Cat 650, you'd know that the engine wasn't a 'suzuki powerplant tuned to run like crap'. Right there on the belt cover, it says in great big letters - KAWASAKI.

The remainder of these comments tend to fall into the 'I read some negative comments and I'm a blowhard' category. The last Eiger that tried to follow my Cat 500i ended up high centered on a rock. Not so fast after all.

On the other hand, I remember when I was 13 - I probably made some pretty emptyheaded statements myself.

Originally posted by: quadduck
Okay to answer up I say this; As far as not owning one, I have and it was gone 1 week after I bought it (a/c5002k3). My dad bought one at the same time and sold his after a month in a half. Excessive body roll, poor craftsmanship on fit and finish, way way wayyyyyyy to heavy, single lever braking, improperly tuned motors( for godsake they use suzukis powerlants and tune the them to run like crap) improperly clutched trannys, They use has been left over technology on thier smaller cc units(old king quads) Heavy steering, Way to tall and tippy feeling and alot of vibration throughout the quad.
Now I will admit they do have cool stuff like strong racks, high ground clearance, mrp option and having the kahunas to build a two rider Quad. The dvx is fine but other than the cosmetic chages it is just the z 400, so if they want to impress me they need to do more of thier own thing like using more of thier own motors.
As far as you guys thinking I am a fool for my responses, I am, for responding to a/c thread, you guys either don't believe me because your blinded by brand loyalty or maybe all you have ever ridden was less than par machines. Oh well I enjoy to a degree riding with you types of guys as I love out performing you all with an inexpensive eiger 400[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img](BTW the eiger was bought for my wife when I purchased the a/c 500 apples & oranges