Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Big Bad 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 09:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

polaris versus yamaha HA HA HA HA HA give me a break. I own a 2000 Grizzly my buddy has a 1999 500 sportsman. I have 2800 miles on mine, and have replaced the rear brake shoes and one spark plug. My friend has 800 miles on his and has replaced the 4 wheel drive engagement sensor twice, 1 belt torn to shreds, and has spent half of his riding time traveling back and fourth to the dealer to have electrical problems fixed. All this crap was fixed under warranty but when you plan on a weekend of fun but end up with a weekend of breakdowns the REality of owning a POLARIS starts to settle in. I know im going to take a little heat for this next remark but hear goes. My friend actually considers his 1992 Harley Davidson Evolution V twin a technological marvell. Buy the YAMAHA YOU WILL HAVE NO REGRETS. They are made in the U.S.A. (P.S. sorry Eddie I know it Hurts)

Old 10-12-2000, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I run a 95 400 4x4 with 27 vampires and really appreiate the low center of gravity it has which is also shared by the Honda's.The polaris HO is an awesome machine in the mud and so far the new belt system has been watertight.We ride in south Ga alot with a tremendous amount of mud so we need power ,but the next weekend we may be in the mountaians of north Ga so we need something that is very stable.The best all around still has to be the Foreman or Rubicon.I ride thru the same mud pits as though big yammahas but they will not climb the same hills that I do.It goes back to what the guy says ,do you want the fastest so you stand around and talk about it are do you want to get out there and do it!!!!None can ride a broken down 4 wheeler.Depedibility is a big issue,also ability to go through deep water (air box being sealed good)etc.Maybe for me Instead of biggest and baddest I would recomend the best.

Old 10-12-2000, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

If you want the most power with reliability and low maintenance, go for the grizz.
The scrambler is half chain drive and what does that tell you for work.
If you want to work with a Grizz you can too. Who are these freaks crying about helmets. Wow those are the people who get the sport into trouble. You think that cops enjoy having to help someone who is hurt. If you don't have atleast a helmet you shouldn't be riding especially when you have so much danger in the woods. I see someone hurt and its there fault i won't even stop. It must be a REDNECK attitude down from the Southern States, i have heard that they are simple down there. No wonder the North does not think much of them.
Oh well! we can't all be smart. I'm sure there are some smart Southerner's but i wonder why everyone i've met from the North think the Southerner's are Stupid and retarded.
Answer that.

Old 10-12-2000, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

3tv, does the Sportsman have independent rear end suspension? If so, that would definitely explain the difference of being able to ride over rough terrain at a high speed.

Old 10-12-2000, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry one bit about chain drive for work.I have a chain driven 00 Xplorer,It sees alot of work in the wood,hauling a trailer and wood.I have never snapped a chain.Im having a current problem with my concentric drive,however,Polaris is going to warrenty the entire fix.Id be more concerned about the Scrambler not having a low range instead of worring about its chain drive.==Bill

Old 10-13-2000, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

yam8, I do not know if you are trying to get a rise out of someone with your ignorant comments or not but I cannot let this go by unchecked. Your comments lead me to belive that you probably have never been outside of Canada, much less down South. I have been fortunate enough to have spent time in many areas of the US as well as Canada and Europe. It is my opinion that people are generally the same, only their environments and traditions are different. There are ignorant people in all parts of the world. You are proof of that. I have a degree in Eletrical Engineering as well as one in Information Technology. I question your level of education. The term "redneck" is a general slang term not reserved for Southerners. You refer to us a "simple". I think that you are confusing a simple way of life with simple minded. You said that most Northerners that you have spoken with think that Southerners are "Stupid and retarded". There is an old saying: "believe none of what of what you hear and some of what you see." Before you make sweeping remarks about other people, I suggest you do your homework. In my opinion, the reason people have the image and opinion of Southerners as being ignorant, lazy beer guzzlers is because they have never been there and rely on the media for their opinions. If I were to believe what the media portraits as the typical Canadian, I would say that they are light skinned, overweight, weak, sweater wearing, arrogant hockey fans. I know this is false because I have been there and know this is not true. In closing, I recommend that you try to think things out before you show you apparent ignorant biases in this forum. If you still feel that your opinions are correct, I welcome you to come and visit us in the South and make up your own mind instead of relying on someone else's uninformed opinions. I can only hope that you are a teenager and not an adult as this is your only excuse for your post.

Old 10-18-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

See the October 2000 issue of Dirt Wheels for a shootout between some of the big block 4X4's. The Polaris Sportsman 500HO was the winner!

Old 10-20-2000, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Go for the SP500 HO. It does not get talked about so much for nothing!

Suspension is number 1.
4x4 system is number 1.
Making it bigger and badder is easy!