Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Help With ATV Purchase.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With ATV Purchase.....

Within the Next Month i plan to Purchase either a 2005 Suzuki Vinson or King Quad, I was wondering what all of you thought my best option would be with pro's and con's for both of them!Also I was wondering where is a good place to buy parts for these type 4-wheelers? THANKS ALOT!

Old 04-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider

The Vinson was in 3 shootouts recently and the Polaris Sportsman 500 HO won each time.

The Vinson has a SRA and may be sportier but also a harsher ride quality.
Of the two, I would get the KQ myself, I like IRS.

Jim

Old 04-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry and no offense, but shootout schmootout. Darn shortsighted, non-technical journalist riding it for a day. They should test 4 year old quads with the same amount of use on them. Include things like repair/maintenance costs, things that don't work or have broken on the quad, how truly dated in function it has become, and current resale value (depreciation).

I came so close to buying a manual Vinson that I had both sitting there and chose the minute before I signed the purchase agreement. Vinson, Rubicon, Vinson, Rubicon........ I ended up buying the Rubicon as it has an unbelievable auto (that my wife can use, especially when it becomes hers and my backup quad), fenders that don't get busted from rubbing on trees, and a better fit an finish. I will still look a these two when I buy another.

However, the Vinson is faster and more comfy ride. I would definately not call the difference in ride to an IRS "harsh". The 500 has been out there for years and is a dependable and powerful 500cc.

King Quad hasn't been out long enough for me to buy one. Sat on one and liked the ergos, but didn't want to make the leap. Good thing, I would have been upset at the reverse issue (they chose to fix it anyway). EFI, nice idea, works good on sleds, good idea for a quad? Is the technology ready for quads? They have a lot of experience, but I'd wait another year.

Old 04-14-2005, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
Sorry and no offense, but shootout schmootout. Darn shortsighted, non-technical journalist riding it for a day. They should test 4 year old quads with the same amount of use on them. Include things like repair/maintenance costs, things that don't work or have broken on the quad, how truly dated in function it has become, and current resale value (depreciation).

I came so close to buying a manual Vinson that I had both sitting there and chose the minute before I signed the purchase agreement. Vinson, Rubicon, Vinson, Rubicon........ I ended up buying the Rubicon as it has an unbelievable auto (that my wife can use, especially when it becomes hers and my backup quad), fenders that don't get busted from rubbing on trees, and a better fit an finish. I will still look a these two when I buy another.

However, the Vinson is faster and more comfy ride. I would definately not call the difference in ride to an IRS "harsh". The 500 has been out there for years and is a dependable and powerful 500cc.

King Quad hasn't been out long enough for me to buy one. Sat on one and liked the ergos, but didn't want to make the leap. Good thing, I would have been upset at the reverse issue (they chose to fix it anyway). EFI, nice idea, works good on sleds, good idea for a quad? Is the technology ready for quads? They have a lot of experience, but I'd wait another year.
I know what you mean about shootouts but its another opinion to consider, most are experianced testers.

The one tech editor owned AND raced a Manual Vinson and still picked the Sportsman.

In two of the 3 shootouts the sportsman was faster than the Vinson. I have a freind with an 05 sp500 HO and we raced (my 700) and its fast for a heavy 500 cc machine.

The Vinson does not ride smother than an IRS machine (maybe the Honda).

Jim

Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I meant that the Vinson rode better than my Rubicon, and that there's not that huge of a difference in overall comfort between that of an IRS to the Vinson. You go over a 1 foot bump or big whoops, you are still going to feel it on both. IRS is not magic. The only place that I think it makes a difference is GC and articulation of the rear suspension while slow going over radical terrain, but that can be precarious on off-cambers. But remember with GC, as soon as you sit on an IRS you lose clearance, and the more you put on the racks the more you lose. All those GC numbers are usually unloaded.

I have yet to see any stock 500 run faster than a Vinson. Must have had the choke pulled on the Vinson.

Notice I'm not marketing the Honda, he asked about the Suzukis

Old 04-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

The only place that I think it makes a difference is GC and articulation of the rear suspension while slow going over radical terrain
LOL, you are absolutely right. Other than less unsrung weight, the above statement says why people buy IRS. Just try taking a straight axle over a bump on one side of the quad... LOL, the other side tire reaches for the sky... IRS keeps the tires planted.
BryceGTX

Old 04-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

I underrstand and agree. Not all SRA machines ride bad.
My buddy has a SRA griz 600 and that thing rides like it has NO suspention compaired to my Sp700, i don't care on what kind of terrain you are talking about.

But them again in a recent shootout between the KQ and the Prarie 700 they said the Prarie rides almost as nice as the (stiff for an IRS) KQ.
My Scrammy is very smooth for a SRA , IMO.

Jim

Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

you may not have every wheel on the ground in all places, but it does feel more stable in off camber than an IRS (to me anyway)

the Vinson is smooth for an SRA.

I really liked the Arctic Cat articulating SRA. The best of both worlds. Too bad you can't still get the 500 with one, or that all SRAs don't have that option.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

If you are considering a Vinson ,why not an Arctic cat 500 . The Arctic cat has the Vinson engine in it and also has IRS , more ground clearance and suspension travel and a locking front diff....

Old 04-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Cats are huge. Not too good for tight woods, but huge CG...and it has the Vinson engine with the manual. Not as sporty, more for work. I looked at those too, nice. Not lacking many features! Biggest rack capacity, most GC, most suspension travel...