Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Which one kodiak or foreman?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one kodiak or foreman?

My cousin brandon is trading in his old 2000 model bear tracker wanting something bigger he is trying to choose from a 05 camo kodiak or a 05 honda foreman 475? he likes to mostly work around the barn and stuff he trail rides sometimes but not alot mostly work any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

For work get the Honda

For trails get the Kodiak

Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

It really depends whether your talking about the Kodiak 400 or 450. The 450 has the a locking front differential which in my experience has really helped put power to the ground in all circumstances. The Honda also has this, but the Kodiak 400 doesn't. I wouldn't get an ATV if you couldn't get the front dif. lock but if he's not going to be in any situations where that much traction is needed, that may not be important. If your going to be using the ATV alot, a comfortable ride is important. Both of the Yamaha's have independent rear suspension, which significantly improves ride quality. The Honda has a swing arm rear axel, which has always been considered better than IRS for towing heavy loads. The last big difference between the ATV's is the transmission. The honda is a manual shift, auto-clutch and both of the Yamaha's are full autos. I've had both, and the manual definitly has it's upsides, fun to shift, and improved fuel economy. However, after driving around all day at slow speeds, shifting can get pretty old. There's also the enjoyment to be had when your going through some water and decide it is necessary to shift, but discover that the shifter is underwater. If you want to get superficial, I would have to say that the honda is a better looking ATV. Which one's right for you really depends on what your going to use it for, personally I'd say to get a Polaris Sportsman, but you didn't list that as one of the choices, haha. Hope I've been of help.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

The foreman 450 has a front diff locker?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

"Direct front and rear drive-shafts with TraxLok and torque-sensitive front differential" is what is listed as the drive system on the 05' foreman 4x4 475. My understanding is that the "Traxlok" is Honda's way of saying differential lock. I'm not a big Honda guy though, so I could very well be wrong. All the specifications are here if your interested.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

"Traxlok" is just a fancy name for limited slip[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

thanks i believe he is going to go with the foreman since he does alot of work it seems to me it would pull more sence its a strait axle not irs like kodiak and i dont belive he likes a polaris thanks for the info[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

trax lock is a name for the 2wd to 4wd switching system, torque sensing is a little different and a little better than a traditional limited slip, but still not a locker.

Foreman is bigger, better suited for work. Good choice.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If it's any help, I really like my Foreman...

On the new foreman, even the manual shift model has floorboards, which was way overdue, and they do a good job of keeping muck from getting flung onto your shoes/pants. Still, if you go through deep water and have to shift, you are going to get your boot wet. If that were an issue, you either have to pick the right gear when you start the crossing, or you might consider the electric shift version.

Personally, I don't trust rubber belt drive much. I know, I know, they are much better now (in a Norman Taylor kind of way), and the Yamaha's seem to have a good reputation, but my personal preference is a gear on gear transmission.

As far as IRS goes, my buddy's Rincon clearly has the advantage when it comes to running over rough stuff at a spirited pace. You can stay seated on an IRS machine where I would be standing on the pegs. On the other hand, I think my swingarm machine feels more planted sliding around or on sidehills.

I don't think either machine would disappoint your cousin. Might also want to take a peek at the Vinson...

Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I can't believe Honda hasn't come out with a locker yet. I would think something like that would be hurting their sales, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Which one kodiak or foreman?