Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

hopping a log?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hopping a log?

i like to pull my front tires off the ground a few few before the log,then ride the wheelie into the log turning it into a jump[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

I'm with thewayout on this one, wheelie all the way to the log, then hang on. My recon just loves down trees.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Default hopping a log?

I approach it semi-slow in 4x4, once the fronts touch the log, I gun it to pull the fronts over and keep on the throttle till the backs get over...therefore keeping the skidplates from scraping. Lean back though, I learned the hard way if you lean forward too far this way, you can throw yourself right over the front when the rear wheels jump. Also make sure there are no big obstacles after the log no matter what method you use, you can either run into em if wheeliein, or throw yourself off ifyour fronts hit whatever it is

Old 06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

I just go slow and teeter totter over the bigger logs.
The small "sticks" ill just ride over.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

Interesting question, since we don't run into this problem much. I'm going to look for a way around it first. Then I'm going to decide how badly I want to go that way. Since I've never had to jump a log before, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But after reading this string, I at least have some ideas.

One thing I can assure myself of is, it's going to be s l o w ... Older, more uh, mature bones don't heal like they did decades ago - [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

We took that safety course that all the quad mfg's pay for ($100 to you for taking it!) and one of the things we were supposed to learn WAS this log thingie. Of course, the area where we were going to do this was blocked off by someone who had dropped off an old 'slide-in' camper for trash. So we couldn't do the 'problem'. This was the same place we were supposed to learn to get off the bikes on a steep hill and do that three point turn-around standing next to them. The rest of the course was directed at sport quad riding and of no interest to my wife and I.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

Why dont you just go around it????

Old 06-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

Well I just tryed a new method standing on my floor boards all the way to the rear and shifting my weight towards the back of my kodiak right before I got to the log and blimped the throttle and it kinda jumped over the log with the fronts and then shifted my weight quickly to the front while blimping the throttle again and the rear went over like nothing...>Worked pretty good.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

BlackStallion, that's just way to practical and easy. That would probably be the same reason you don't go around the big mud bog. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

Originally posted by: BlackStallion
Why dont you just go around it????
Because when the one side of the mountain logging road with the log across it is straight up and the other straight down, going around is not an option unless your goal is to see how many of your friends will attend your service.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default hopping a log?

Originally posted by: Dirtydude
On my dirtbike I like the front wheel to auctually hit the log with my weight shifted back and power on. If you wheelie too high then the front tire will go over top of the log and your backtire will slam into the log, with that much power on the rear suspension it will be squatted, the lack of suspension travel will cause the back tire to slam the seat of the bike violently upwards, which can buck you right off the seat and send you over the handlebars. I prefer to just unload the weight off the front and let it hit the log that way the whole bike will raise in the air once your back tire hits the log causing the bike to jump level off the log. If the log is a bit sideways and you can't hit it perfectly square then I try to let the front tire hit just above where a branch is, idea being that the tire will won't wash out on you if a branch holds it in place.

On my sport quad I do much the same, except that I won't do it at the same speed or size of log because it doesn't have as much suspension as the bike. If the log is about 10 inches then I will approach the log slowly and pop the front over the log and try to carry enough speed so the rear tires will also pop over.

On the Grizzly with a 10 inch log I just ride over it slowly in 4x4

next chapter I will talk about logs that are suspended and not just laying on the ground

That’s exactly what Im talking about. It sounds like that’s the best way (and in some cases the most fun way). Except 10 inches is about what Im talking about. Im guessing one reason you would go over the log slowly in 4x4 is because you might be on the older side. While Im only 17 the funny thing is that Ive had Lyme disease for the past 4 years and it’s taken a toll on my body but some how Im still able to do this with 10 inch logs.

[quote]
Originally posted by: BlackStallion
Why dont you just go around it????[quote]

You must be kidding. One, at what point in your life do you decide you’re too old to go over a log? Not even "jumping it" as described above but even "ridding over it slowly in 4x4" also mentioned above. And two, because in some cases (including mine) 10-20 feet to the left or right isn’t an option.

Quick Reply: hopping a log?