Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

CB radio on ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio on ATV

Thank you..for the welcome.. My thoughts are that if you go with the modded cb..(much cheaper)..and it appears that alot of his friends are wheelin with jeeps...then it would give him more opportunity to talk to a broader range of people..ham is kewl and all but way expensive and if you wipe out you run the risk of destroying hi dollar piece of equipment while cbs can be had real cheap...there are expensive ones too( i know i own one) but for a weekend wheelin trip on quads,jeeps, or even 2wheelin..it could be done at low budget prices and with a pretty reliable outcome. Most Radio Shacks still carry 102in steel whips..one of the most versitle and reliable type of antennas(set it and forget it) you can get for around 20 bucks..not hard to mount to a quad..close to if not the same as a buggy whip..now you have a duel purpose whip..i dunno..for low bucks..broader range of people(no license required to use)..i think i would try a cb..but thats my opinion..good luck...am currious what you do, if you do do any thing at all..good luck.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB radio on ATV

Truck central nailed it. I am looking for on the cheap. I do need to communicate with regular citizens band, ham would be bitchen but no one else I run with uses it. Right now the plan is to run a regular cb, antenna and possibly a helmet mounted speaker. My only question left is: With the crazy vibrations of quads, where is a good place to mount, and are there any tricks to help a standard truck cb last in these conditions? (My only plan right now is to stick with a very inexpensive radio so it is easily and cheaply replaced, but I'm concerned about reliability.) Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default CB radio on ATV

i didn't read all of this forum but, Anyone wanting a CB Radio probably should consider using a Marine type Radio. I found a radio at a Watersport company. and here's the link http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...item_num=23852. I guess just copy and paste to your browser. Anyway this radio is Some what water resistant and impact resistant. These factor will need to be considered. Like I said I didn't read much of the forum, so If I repeated someone sorry.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer
Default CB radio on ATV

correction: These factors will need to be considered.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default CB radio on ATV

It would be illegal to use a marine band radio on your atv unless you atv is a boat or you are a FCC licensed shore station.

If you are using the radio illegally you may just get a fine and a "stop it" letter but if somehow manage to cause interference you could end up with a very large fine and even prison time.

Might want to check here:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html

Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default CB radio on ATV

I think they have waterproof CB radios... I would definatly look into it. I doubt a regular CB radio would last to long so that is definatly something to consider. Most of the ones I've search for were alot more expensive than the new waterproof "walkietalkies" .. so thats something to consider also. Handheld would be definatly be the way to go. You can get a mounting bracket of some kind or put them on your body easily (cheap...no cost). Forget the regular truck CB's...To big and good luck mounting that. I don't know...I think the cost all added up and you'll be spending more than the $69 I showed you for the waterproof "walkietalkies" with included mic/speaker headset. CB's are getting out dated too. Who uses them really any more?I hear other people all the time on my "walktalkie"..so you are connected to the outside world if you want or you can go private. Try doing that on a CB. The GMRS, or FRS radios are the way to go. JMO.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default CB radio on ATV

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
It would be illegal to use a marine band radio on your atv unless you atv is a boat or you are a FCC licensed shore station.

If you are using the radio illegally you may just get a fine and a "stop it" letter but if somehow manage to cause interference you could end up with a very large fine and even prison time.

Might want to check here:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html
i think he was refering to a marine (waterproof/resistant) CB radio

if you get a regular CB,,,it will be toast unless you dry it in somehow

Old 08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default CB radio on ATV

Bing your correct. CaptainQuint, My dad had a Connex and a Galaxy radio both with amplifiers. He had like $1500 invested in each system. With that much power he was never able to communicate futher than let's say 50 miles. I doubt that these little radios would ever be able to reach far enough to disturb someone in the water or on the shore. But that's just my opinion. I don't know anything about the FCC but are they just going to mail a complaint and ticket to some anonymous quad out running some where? A radio ,to my knowledge, has no ID. A radio is going to work with out personal information input. Thanks for the legal information about marine radios. Scary, but I think they have better things to worry about IMO. I was thinking you could run them on a different channels anyway.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default CB radio on ATV

Originally posted by: hellyeah
Bing your correct. CaptainQuint, My dad had a Connex and a Galaxy radio both with amplifiers. He had like $1500 invested in each system. With that much power he was never able to communicate futher than let's say 50 miles. I doubt that these little radios would ever be able to reach far enough to disturb someone in the water or on the shore. But that's just my opinion. I don't know anything about the FCC but are they just going to mail a complaint and ticket to some anonymous quad out running some where? A radio ,to my knowledge, has no ID. A radio is going to work with out personal information input. Thanks for the legal information about marine radios. Scary, but I think they have better things to worry about IMO. I was thinking you could run them on a different channels anyway.
marine uses VHF (organized and should only be used by boaters) (25 watts of power,,,or about 10 mile radius on open water)

CB is citizens band (UHF) and is fair game for anyone/anything (5 watts of power,,,legally)

Old 08-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Default CB radio on ATV

Thanks for the Info ya'll are alot of help. Thank You I looked futher for a water&impact resistant CB I didn't really find anything except handhelds.

Quick Reply: CB radio on ATV