Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

CB radio on ATV

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB radio on ATV

I am needing a CB radio to keep in contact with my significant other while trail riding. We've tried small walkie talkie type radios, range sucks and a pita to use.(Let alone you can't hear them with a helmet on) I am terrible at searching, and couldn't find anything covering durable radio communication. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default CB radio on ATV

Actually some of the new walkie talkies are more watts than a CB radio and actually will talk as far as having a CB with a Big antenna. As for helmet I used a headphone that wraps on your ear and has a mic extending down. It works ok for awhile untill your ear starts to hurt. It came with the walkie talkies. These are the ones I got Walkie Talkies . Now for a cb I'm sure it could be done but I don't see any advantage unless you get a big whip antenna on there and I don't know how that would work because antenna usually need metal to attach and there isn't that much on a ATV.

Good Luck

Old 08-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Range Rover
Default CB radio on ATV

Check out the helmet radios from Collett at "www.collettcommunicators.com". Collett Radios

We have been using these for years and they work great. Great for keeping tabs on everyone, the leader can let the others know what is ahead. Can help the kids to learn riding with voice help through places.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB radio on ATV

Thanks for the replies, the midland is more what I am looking for, I am in a Jeep alot of the time and need CB capability, the Collett radios are more for short distance, closed channels correct?

Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Range Rover
Default CB radio on ATV

Yes, the Colletts are up to a 2 mile range with a two channel available. They work great since they are voice activated.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Range Rover
Default CB radio on ATV

You should look at the Garmin Rino Garmin Rino. It is a little more expensive but it has it all, GPS, Two-Way Radio, Mapping, Tracking, Water Proof, etc. You can also see a buddy on your screen as they move if he or she has one too. I use mine with a firefox earbud. The Rino allows you to plug in a voice activated earpiece which is nice b/c you never need your hands to talk. There are several different models of Rino's. I got my Rino 130 brand new on EBay and it works great and I saved about $80.00. Garmin just came out with two 500 series Rinos that have a twelve mile range on the two-way radio.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB radio on ATV

My fiance and her son are on quads, I am currently in a jeep,(soon to be on a quad). We are in an area with many wheelers and few atv'ers, these are all good suggestions but I would also like to be able to talk to the outside world. Thanks-

Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB radio on ATV

I cant think of any pre mad things you could use.. how ever if you are handy with a soldiering gun and have a bit of patience. I don't think it would be to hard to modify a CB mic to use in a helmet. the mic element has typically two wires that could be extended and run into your helmet. A tiny hole in the foam in the face if it is a full face helmet and you got a mic.the other important piece to the mic..the key button could be mounted to the handle bars.the easy part is the audio you talk about not hearing..On the back of most radios is a plug for an ext speaker. a simple head set from an old walkman or the like could work.again a small hole in the foam near your ears could accommodate these speakers once detached from the band that goes over your head. Many possible solutions. Hope this gives you an idea or a place to start looking. If you are not handy with a soldiering pen..find a local CB shop near you for a fee they could help you rig something up or build one from scratch for you. my advise would be to use a noise canceling mic as it will help kill some of the back ground noise you may get while riding. Hope i didn't loose you. Any questions e-mail me.
truckcentral@aol.com[img]i/expressio...small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default CB radio on ATV

There is a big difference in FRS radios, mostly in the receivers; they are all fairly low power transmitting devices, but the cheaper models have lousy receivers (poor sensitivity). A GMRS/FRS handheld will have higher transmitter power, but will, as a result, suck down the battery faster.

Another alternative that would outshine any of the CB, GMRS, or FRS radios is for each of you to get an Amateur Radio license. The handheld and mobile radios available for the VHF/UHF ham bands are not too expensive and the coverage provided is great. The licensing exam is easy (no Morse code needed for the Technician Class license). My wife and I have been using ham radio to communicate for years. I have been a ham since the late-1960's in high school.

For details, go to the American Radio Relay League web site (www.arrl.org).

Old 08-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default CB radio on ATV

welcome u guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: CB radio on ATV