Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

whats so bad about the grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats so bad about the grizzly?

in the recent topics i posted, many placed the grizz below the other big bores. Aside from the engine size(which I think is ok because it makes it a bit sportier) it has the same tow capacity as the bomb 800(a huge 50 pounds less) and a full lock diffrential. And according to Yamaha, all four wheels independent suspension. So? Whats the difference? a 300 price difference and 200 more cc for the same tow capacity?

And anyways, IRS don't really help when doing work, just comfort and handling. I think...................

Old 08-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

A good friend of mine recently bought a new Griz and I think it was a fine choice. In addition to being very fast and powerful, it is mature. Unlike some of the new big-bores, all of the bugs have been worked out of the Griz.

My complaints about the Grizzly are that it feels tippy to me and it's too easy to slip off of the foot pegs. I think the floorboards/pegs are a poor design. Maybe the tippy feeling is just me (my buddy doesn't notice it) because I'm used to the much lower Rubicon.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Range Rover

As you already know, the Grizz is near the top of the line in my book. An awesome, proven machine to say the least. I loved the ride of the 2005 when I test drove it. Also, I have read that a good set of radials will eliminate any tippy feeling to the stock ride. I didn't think it was all that tippy with the stock tires though. Handled much better than I was expecting it would. Still one of two big-bores in the running for my money at the end of the year - with the other being the KQ.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

i dont understand wat people have agianst the grizzly. i think that they just think its worse than the other big bores kuz it has less cc's. i personally like it more than all those other big bores kuz of irs, diff lock, and its a lot lighter. it goes just as fast as most of the other big bores cuz its lighter. and i dont think u kan get any other big bores to go 5 feet in the air as easily as i did on my grizz.

Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Range Rover

From what I've read and heard, I think it may be more of a fact that the Grizz has been around a long time and has lost its "luster" you might say. I guess a lot people don't want to consider it as much anymore because maybe its similar to the Hondas, where not much has changed on it over the past few years. But, all of that to me just supports its proven design and capabilities. Definitely an awesome machine, and would be absolutely perfect for what I want to use it for. So is the KQ.

I like the idea of the EFI on the KQ because I will be using what I purchase during the winter in the mountains of northern Cali (cold temps). Right now, that's the only major downside to the Grizz when comparing the two, in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I was a little concerned over the tippy feeling but didn't experience it. I like the trail riding ability. The steering is light and responsive. I agree with the feet sliding on the floorboards. I would like to see a higher foot peg.
My only gripe is the vibration of the motor. My Twin is much smoother and so is my Ds. Other than that, I think the machine is great and don't have to worry about any belt problems.
It is a thirsty machine on fuel though. It uses about the same amount of fuel as my Twin Peaks.
I also think the machine is way easier to clean. Just pull the guards and you can get to most of the machine.
Personally, I like the simplicity of the machine. No fuel pump hopefully no problems.

Old 08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Nice bike, for a rubber band tranny its a good set up better then most others, there's been a few issues over the years including overheating and axles cracking but they seemed to have been addressed and fixed.

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2004 Grizz ( okay it's the Wife's), but they are great machines. I have never regreted buying the Grizz. It's really not the very best at any one thing but it does not suck at anything either.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

The Griz had it's flaws like everything else, but it is in need of an update, they've looked the same for a few years now. They need more options on them to keep current and be competetive with the other manufacturers. They seemed to have resolved the axle problems, and the overheating problem. IMO, I think the belt system is one of the best out there. Another thing I like is Yamaha switchgear, by that I mean all the controls for 4X4, diff lock etc. A grizz can't be beat in that area. I didn't find it any more top heavy than any of the other machines. When you get any machine off the ground it's going to feel tippy. They're like Honda in the sense that they're still pushing the same machine, with minor year-to-year changes and asking more for these little changes. I think they need to sit down, look at what every one else is doing and start with a clean sheet of paper, I'm sure they could come up with something that would turn the ATV world on its' ear. They just need to get at it!

Old 08-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing the grizz is outdated on is EFI and CC. Not everyone wants to race or haul 2 yards of concrete. I have a 2004 Grizz and it is a mature design. I also own a 2005 BF750 and its an evolving design. Next year the Grizz will have EFI and a larger motor. I doubt if there will be any other changes. Alot of people really don't like to buy the first model year just because it takes a while to work the kinks out of emerging and developing technologies.

The Rincon is still using a drum brake, The Brutes are not EFI. The polaris quads are EFI but use a very dated push rod design. The KQ is really close to a Grizz with EFI. The controls are so close you almost think patent infrigment.

Quick Reply: whats so bad about the grizzly?