Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

How long do ATV batteries last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long do ATV batteries last?

Originally posted by: Hoopie
i had my original battery in my 2000 scrambler for 5 years then I got the replacement this spring and my new 100 dollar battery is garbage now! Looking for a replacement now.

Jimmy where did you get your battery?
Wonch Battery
34155 Sterling Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
Phone: 586-268-5400
Fax: 586-268-5383

Its between 14-15 mile off Mound in an Industrial sub.
Deka AGM $60! Call em.

Jim

Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Battery Testing Made Easy
Courtesy of Yuasa Battery

The heart of your vehicle is your battery. In order to accurately check it, you need the proper tools, such as a digital multimeter. To check the standing condition of your battery--referred to as Open Circuit Voltage--pull off your seat or side cover (or, in some cases, your tank) to expose your battery terminals. Put the meter on the "20 V" range setting and measure the voltage by putting each meter lead to the proper battery terminal (this can also be done if you have any kind of connection directly to your battery, such as a charger lead or other auxiliary outlet). Hooking up the meter backwards will not affect the battery or its reading; it will simply show a "-" (negative) reading. For example, "-12.50" still means 12.50 volts, but means the leads to the meter are connected to the battery in reverse. From this reading you can pretty much determine the condition of the battery. If you just came off a ride, or just charged the battery, the meter will show a "surface charge." This merely means there is an extra charge on the surface of the plates, which will give an inaccurate reading of the actual battery condition. The best idea is to let the battery sit for at least an hour before doing any testing. The voltages that Yuasa, for example, considers a battery to be fully charged are as follows:
Conventional batteries (12N type) - 12.50 to 12.70 volts Yumicron batteries (YB type) - 12.7 to 12.9 volts Sealed (AGM) batteries (YTX type) - 12.8 to 13.0 volts
Keep in mind that all batteries are different and all meters do not read the same. Variances in these numbers, in either direction, by as much as 1% are quite common, so if you do see this type of variance, there is no need for alarm.
The second part of the battery testing procedure-the "load test'--would be to put the transmission in neutral and start it. While watching the voltmeter, you will notice a much lower voltage flash by; this would be when the starter is actually loading the battery. A reading of 9.5 volts or higher is generally considered to indicate a good battery. This load test is probably the best way to determine the battery's starting ability.

While the vehicle is running, observe the voltmeter. Generally, you should see the voltage climbing (at idle, most vehicles do not usually charge well). If at this time you turn on some additional lights, the brake light or other accessories, you will notice a drop in voltage, possibly below 12.0 volts. This is why slow, short rides are hard on your battery. If you have to do a lot of stop-and-go type riding, make sure you turn off any extra lights and accessories.

Now take the throttle and turn it up to cruising speed (usually around 3000 rpm). At this point the charging system should be at its full potential. Manufacturers usually set this voltage between 13.8 and 14.5 volts. If you get a lower reading than 13.8, you may be having a problem with your charging system and/or battery. If you get a reading of more than 15.0 volts, it most likely means that the battery is overcharging, which could result in excessive water loss and shortened battery life.
Make sure that your battery is always topped off with distilled water. Never add acid to a battery after initial activation. Batteries never lose acid, only the water in the acid. Check periodically to make sure the water level is filled to the upper level line to prevent premature damage.

If you want to check the specific gravity of your conventional battery, use a hydrometer (Yuasa suggests using a good glass hydrometer, meant for ATV-type batteries). Floating ball testers are good for basic testing, but are not precision testing tools by any means. Follow the instructions as outlined by the battery manufacturer.

Your battery's main enemies are heat and vibration. Too much of either can cause the plates to deteriorate, lose power and eventually short out. Lack of proper charging is another killer. It is recommended that you check your battery for state of charge once a month. If charging is needed, automatic chargers, such as the line just introduced by Yuasa, are the best way to ensure long life for your battery.

Sealed, maintenance-free batteries are becoming more popular. Also referred to as "AGM" or "Absorbed Glass Mat," these batteries, although still lead acid type, do not require checking the water level and also provide a much higher resistance to vibration (they still require proper charging and maintenance, however)
Batteries are living things, and we should all take care of them. Proper care of your battery-including keeping it grime-free and making sure all cables and connections are tight and in good physical condition--should ensure many years of good service out of your battery.
For more information on battery care, visit the Yuasa Batteries website at www.yuasabatteries.com.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

I got 9 years out of my original King Quad 300 Yuasa battery.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jim, thats on my way home from work.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dont forget to keep em fulla water also. That makes a big difference. Was checking mine after a long ride this summer and it was dry....I think thats the main reason they die.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Range Rover

I got 7 years on my Honda 300 Yausa battery, and replaced it with the same after
checking for cheapest location on internet. I paid about 50 dollars also. It came
from Calif to Maine in two days normal shipping. Unreal.. The replacement now has
5 years on it.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Range Rover

I have done a lot of searching for the cheapest batteries and I have found Rocky Mountain ATV to be most competitive, at least for the Brute Forces and Prairies.

Rocky Mountain ATV

Old 09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

Battery tenders (trickle chargers) will extend the life of any battery that is not exercised daily.

Check them out, they pay for themselves.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
Battery tenders (trickle chargers) will extend the life of any battery that is not exercised daily.

Check them out, they pay for themselves.
I have the Batt Tender Jr and it works great , fully automatic.
Works good on the Vette too in the winter while stored.

Jim

Old 09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: action450s
I just replaced the battery in my Forman (1998) this summer, so it was 7 years old, typically they need to be replaced after 5 years. My opinion is to get a factory battery from the dealer or a better aftermarket replacement. If you go cheap you'll be stuck in the woods with a piece of crap bad battery. I figure if the factory battery held up to frequent winching and cold weather riding for 7 years, then its well worth the $100 for the same quality for another 7 years. Thats less then $20 a year for trouble free service.
My 99 Honda Recon battery is still going after 6.5 years.

Quick Reply: How long do ATV batteries last?