Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Inexpensive utility ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive utility ATV

Hello rob3314. Welcome to the forums. I plow snow with a Trailblazer (see my picks). The deepest snow I have plowed is about 10-11 inches. I run chains on the rear tires and keep the front tires pumped up to 7psi to reduced rolling resistance on the front. I spent many years plowing with an 18hp all hydraulics John Deere that had wheel weights and chains. The Trailblazer plows just as well as that JD. Chains are important on the rear. The differences between the Trailblazer and the other 250 class machines are the Trailblazer is wider, taller, more pulling power (850 lbs), considerably more suspension travel and automatic transmission. I have never pulled a mower but I assume it would have no problem. However, I do move my Jetski and quad trailer around the yard.
I hope this helps you
BryceGTX

Old 10-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt worry about 4x4 for plowing snow unless you are wanting a 4x4 for the trails also. 4x4 is nice for the snow, but not needed most of the time. Most 2x4s with a set of 20 dollar chains will plow just as good as a 4x4.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for all the info! I've gone back and forth on the 4x4 thing. I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. I think I'm leaning towards these machines:

Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4
Honda Rancher 350 4x4
Suzuki Eiger 4x4

Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

With what I have read in this post.. you will be happy with any of those three quads..

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Old 10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, all of those are great quads. Although the Big Bear and Eiger have disc breaks up front which is a plus, I would go with who ever gives you the best price.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

Those were the top 3 I was comparing... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good choices all IMO, but I felt the ranking was
First: Eiger, Second: Big Bear, 3rd :Rancher.

I'll tell you why I ranked them that way.

All seem to be reliable well built machines that run and drive great in most conditions. Rancher ended up third for a couple reasons, one of wich was already talked about... brakes, but even that wasn't the big thing. I wanted to be able to engage and disengage 4wd when I want it to. Then there was gearing, I very much wanted LOW Range gearing for hard going. The Honda and Yamaha didn't have that, but atleast the Yamaha had a noticeably lower 1st gear. Honda Rancher doesn't have a low enough gear for climbing etc. I've been on many steep rocky trails now with several Honda's and all of them W/O Low Range were overgeared for the terrain. 3rd thing I wanted was running boards. I really like that feature, and as I recall the Honda did have that, but the Yamaha didn't. So essentially the only machine that had everything I wanted was the Eiger, easy choice, but it was more difficult to get a good deal on it than the other two.

Your requirements or wants may differ from mine but I'm sure that wich ever machine fits you best you'll be happy with because they are all good machines. They just have differences.

Goodluck on the purchase

Old 10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seem I see the eiger compared more often with the kodiak.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: coeyjames
Try Honda rancher (350) 2x4 you can get them for around $3300 or the Honda recon (250) for $2600. Rember though dealer setup fees will run you anywhere from 300 to 400 dollars. Sometimes you can "talk" your way out of those and get the out the door price back down to the sale price. From what I here the 2 wheel drive rancher will do just about anything the 4x4 one will do.
You can't get prices like that around here except on used quads. The best price we got around here for the Recon when we were shopping last year was $3500 without tax and license. We shopped several dealers. Different markets = different prices.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LOANSHARK
It seem I see the eiger compared more often with the kodiak.
I think it goes both ways... Since the Eiger is available with Auto or Manual shift, The Eiger Manual is usually compared to the Big Bear since its also a 400 manual shift, and the auto Eiger is compared/competes with the Kodiak 400/450 machines as they are automatics... So I could see your point there yes.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would go for the 400 big bear.. they are one tough utility quad, other than that i like the new 300 polaris hawkeye, it has full diff lock, fully independant suspension, and its a sprty looking quad. thats my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive utility ATV