Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Need better lights on EIger...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need better lights on EIger...

The headlights on my 06 Eiger are not that great. They seem low & are not as powerfull as I would like for nite riding. What are some of the best options to add some aux lights? The Warn lights are flood type, & I would like to send a beam ahead of me. Where is best place to mount them & not hinder my front rack?

Thanks for help,
HS

Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Range Rover

Well, I have seen the Eiger but am not up on the front end. Racks, etc. Any way, here is a suggestion if you are a little handy. I had the same deal with my 01 Arctic Cat. I made a light bar and mounted some small automotive fog lights. I made it rather simply thinking I could make it a little nicer if it worked out but the prototype has done so well I just keep using it. Here is the high level....

Power: A little 10Ga (I like heavy wiring), a 2 flat trailer connecter (looks like ˝ of a 4-flat trailer connecter), and a blade style fuse holder. The connector and holder can be picked up at any auto parts store. Run a hot and a ground from the battery up to the front rack. I put the fuse holder inline under the seat close to the factory fuse block on my Cat. Hide the wire inside the plastics, run it along the frame. Up at the front end attach one side of the 2 flat. The “exposed” pole should be the ground, the protected the hot.

Light bar: For my prototype I used a piece of scrap 2x4 painted black. Out on either end I mounted a fog light. For wiring I wanted a switch so I picked up a small plastic project box and switch from Radio Shack. I tied all the grounds together. I wired the hot side through the switch. The hot and ground I then pig tailed out to the other side of the 2 flat. This time the hot side is the exposed pin (male) as it will mate to the protected (female) pin on the ATV side. To mount it I picked up a couple of “J” bolts from a hardware store. Drill a couple of holes in the 2x4 and insert the bolts so that the “J” end hooks onto a rack bar. Drop on a washer and a nut to snug it down.

Sit the bar on the rack, snug down the bolts, plug it in, away you go. If you want it out of your way it comes off in like 30 seconds. Originally I planned on making some sort of frame to protect the lights but had not had a problem with them getting damaged. The only thing I ran into was the bolts on the fog light brackets walking out due to the vibration. A little thread lock fixed that. I still have the 01, not I have an 05. I plan on making another for it however it has the Speed Rack mounts that I plan on using to secure the bar.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You can find some Hella 55 watt driving lights on ebay for about 35 bucks, and is a good deal. Nice thing about them is the size, they are small and can mount almost anywhere. I have mine on the handlebar, so the beam can be directed by turning. They are the ff50 lights.
Ive bought the kit of two lights, and those really light things up.
If you want a wider pattern, get the fog beam, and if you want to see a long way, get the driving beam. They even came with the switch and wiring and directions and a relay.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Trailblazer

hondabuster, Did the included mounts work for putting them on the handlebars? Or did you use some other type? I like the idea on putting them on handlebars so they point where I'm headed. Where on the bars did you place them? I checked the lights out & they look prety solid.

Appreciate it,
HS

Old 10-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I used the mounts from the kit, and got the other hardware from home depot. I ran a 1" round aluminum bar, accross the handlebars and hooked up the lights to that, and a gps and tachometer. If you want, i can send some pictures of what i did..send me a pm with your email address, and ill take some pics this weekend.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Pm on the way, thanks again!