Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Power Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Options

New to this site,

Long story short I am looking to get a Honda Rubicon. I am just wondering what I can do to give this unit a little more pep without spending an armful. I have looked at getting a Quadworks Power Kit for it but I am not sure if there is anything else I could get. I currently have the 450S and it has worked good but my new moose hunting spot requires a little more grunt. Also I was curious on a front differential lock as I have read they really help in the rough stuff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Power Options

The Honda's power is lost in it's transmission. There isn't a lot you can do about that. Why would you want to start out with a quad that you have to modify to make as good as other brands comming off the show room floor.
It sounds like you are a Honda loyalist. Unless they are paying you to ride their quads, take a look at some of the other brands.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default Power Options

I only hear good things about the rubicon... It puts out more ponies than the foreman to make up for the lost power through the transmission... Now if honda would give it IRS they would sell even more.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Power Options

Great bike, best transmission on the market. If you want the best, buy the rubi and a detroit locker from highlifter.com. They also sell power up kits as well if you think you need more grunt. The '06 Rubi's have been updated with a bigger carb, better tranny programming, and in Canada a host of suspension upgrades for a great ride (Canadian Train Edition).

Old 10-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Power Options

Thanks for the input so far. I have looked at the Susuki Vinson 500 and also The Grizzly 660. I chose the Rubicon for the option of having an automatic and a manual all in one machine as well as the high and low range. i am unsure if I will need the extra power or not as ther is an additional 66cc compared to my 450S. I will definately be putting on a detroit locker and maybe that will give me enough churn to get through the rough stuff.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Power Options

Actually, in all honesty the Hondamatic transmission is more power-efficient than a standard belt-driven CVT. The reason most Honda sport-utilities are generally kind of slower then the competition is because the engines are usually a simpler design with less compression, but this in turn means more reliable. Seeing as you live in Alberta, I would strongly suggest a Canadian Trail Edition Rubicon. I have heard nothing but good things about these versions, mostly entailing improved power and suspension. It would be nice to be as quick as a Vinson, but still have the Honda reliability and no belt. My 2 cents.