Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

TYPE 5 or 6 WHEELS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TYPE 5 or 6 WHEELS?

Which wheel, the itp 5 series or the 6 series, which is better and why?

Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One is no better than the other, it's just personal preferance.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Range Rover

If you ride during the winter on salted roads the type 5's are clear coated for better corrosion resistence. If not, I think the finish on the 6's look better.

Old 10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

ITP C series 12" Type 7, just because they look so darn good with my bighorns [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Curls,

1. Do you mind if I asked you what the Big Horns ran with those rims? They look great...I just saw a repeat atv tv episode where they featured the Big Horns....I love their look and I hear that they handle AND wear great!

Also, you don't normally see shiny rims with the camo pattern.... 2. do you hunt at all? I do not (or at least not until a buddy of mine convinces me) and I like the stock black rims on the '06 KQ's but weren't sure that giving them up for shiny rims was a good idea if I was an avid turkey hunter (this is the game my buddy is trying to talk me into hunting) and parked the atv fairly close to me.

3. What does type 7 mean? I see 6 holes and wasn't sure what that meant ...if it was just from the manufacturer or if it meant something....

Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

I hunt, but camo just looks cool to me and holds up way better than regular plastics that scratch real easy. It's funny a Camo quad in the woods is like putting camo on a herd of charging elephants. Not really much help. People who park and hunt close to their equipment might have some benefit I just like the look and durability of camo.

ITP the guys that make the rims have several different styles in what they call a C series. The C series actually widens the stance of your quad by moving the tire a couple of inches outward in relationship to the cnter line of the hub.

I guess ITP had to name their rims something so they started with numbers. There is a type 4, type 5, type 6 and just out this year a type 7. It has nothing to do with the number of holes. It's just a linear numerical progression of a naming scheme.

I purchased mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. They were about 600 dollars with shipping. You will need to buy center caps and ITP lug nuts to finish the BLING BLING. Shop on ebay you might get a little better deal, but If you spend 1000.00 with rockymountainatv in a calendar year you get 50.00. I was almost there so for me it made sense to get my 50.00 back in mercahdise at ROCKY MOUNTAIN.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Curls!

I just went to their website and built a rear package with those Big Horns and type 7 wheels and it was $313. Not to say that around $600 is pocket change but I thought that 4 good after mkt tires and rims would be more than that! Any advice to the type of wheel to get and why.....for trail riding, creek beds, medium size rocks, hill climbs, little sand, and some snow and salt in the winter.....(good rim to deal with the salt is?)

I am assuming you are going to say the ones you got....I just wanted to know why! They look really good and I know nothing about atv tires and rims! On my truck I only use BF Goodrich's All Terrains because they grip good and wear great! I am at 60k now and still have a year or so left.

I also like the idea of the $50 rebate per $1,000 you spend...as long as they have a lot of items....if I go the KQ route then I would like better undercarriage protections, and a front and rear bumper like the Kimpex.

Again, thanks for your help!

Old 11-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Actually for salt, mud and general muck I have heard that most people go with the ITP Type 6. The Type 6 is a polished and coated rim that is marketed as being able to withstand the muck and still look good. It has only 4 spokes they are easier to clean, and I think they are a little lighter then the type 7's. As far as tires go I really liked the Bighorns for a couple of reason. One is that they are a radial tire. Second is that they are 6 ply and very durable. Third is that they are reported to have an exceptionally long tread wear life. I ride here in the West where it's all about dirt, sand and rocks and did I mention rocks, oh and there are rocks. Last year I cut a tire in the middle of nowhere UT and had to limp 30 miles into a little town. That was a mess I would like to avoid again if possible.

I don't know how these will handle the snow, but they look like they should do real well. I know the guys racing in the utility quad class at the GNCC races usually run Bighorns so they have got to be plenty tough.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:01 AM
Pro Rider

Check out my pictures, I have the type 4 in black. To me, the type 4 looks more like a truck rim and I like that better than the type 5 and 6. My wifes Griz has ITP steel rims that are black. They look good to and are quite a bit cheaper than the aluminum rims. With the black rims if you cratch them you can take a black permanent marker and touch them up and you cant see the scratches.

I hunt with my machine but don't like to park close to where I hunt. We don't have a big problem in N. Dakota with people messing with your stuff, but I don't like shiney stuff giving away my hiding place.

Like Curls said, the camo is more durable and doesn't scratch as bad as the solid plastic. Some people buy it just for that reason so a little bit of bling looks good on it. I bought the camo for function as well as durability so shiney stuff was not part of the idea.

It all comes down to personal preferance.