Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4

By all means try both if possible, both are reliable machines so consider the individual characteristics of these two machines. With you described size I think you will find the praire more comfortable and the disc brake feature is a really big plus. The ability to go into 2wd is also a big plus. Until recently the Honda did not have a recoil start backup. I had to make this same decision just a couple of years ago and I went with the Praire and no regrets to this day. My nephew chose the Honda Rancher 350 and while he has no serious regrets he now wishes he to had chosen the Praire just because of the addtional features.

KenR
Airshot

Old 11-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Now that I had the chance to ride one, what differences would I see with the different clutch spring setups? I did notice a lag with the belt (No big deal at all) would the springs lessen the lag or what?

Airshot, I really think you made the best choice too, the Honda's are great with their awesome durability second to none, but are lacking features........which is a common complaint on the forums. It seems that the P360 is built to be just a durable using to two valve head that is known for it's low end torque making qualities as well as extreme dependability and many features of it's big brothers in the Prairie lineup. If the drivetrain holds up to a 700cc V twin, the 360 ought to be a breeze![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at the New 06 Polaris Hawkeye 300. It has independent rear suspension that the others do not have - 8 inches of ground clearance. It also has full digital instrumentation including speedometer and has a 4.5 gallon tank. It also has a front storage compartment. All this extra and it is about $500 Cheaper than the prarie and rancher. It has a new clutch system that is supposed to give good solid power in low and high end.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those new hawkeyes look so cheap and cheasy.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

From the article in Dirt Wheels mag the Hawkeye has no low range as well as the standard one lever brake system that Polaris is famous for. If they would switch to dual lever brakes, they would sell a lot more machines.
For my $500.00 I would still opt for the Praire. The Suzuki Eiger 400 would also be a good choice as they seem to have a good following. My two cents worth anyhooo............

KenR
Airshot

Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

There is a new clutch system in the Hawkeye thus it doesnt need the low range. It will be going head to head with the bruin, rancher and prairie in a shootout soon. I think you will be suprised how it competes. The whole brake thing isnt that big of deal. Lets see.. two brake levers or independent rear suspension - That seems like an easy choice to me.

Review from ATV nation -

The new clutch system that was developed for this ATV was a
pleasant surprise also. There was no noticeable “Belt lag” that you get with the
traditional belt drive machines. Polaris developed a “Tight Belt” system that
works a lot like a chainsaw clutch. When you give it the gas it goes. It is not
overly powerful or snappy from the start. Do not think that you will be pulling
wheelies on this machine. But do not think it is under powered either. The
power comes on smooth and dependable. At first I was thinking it might be a
little under powered, but riding the Hawkeye was very enjoyable. I couldn’t
help but smile as we would hit the rougher sections of the trail and the
independent suspension soaked up the rocks and washes with ease. The body roll
wasn’t there. The handling was predictable and precise. When we hit a couple of
hills I just knew that the 300 cc machine would struggle or bog down. Not the
case. The engine turned out a good amount of torque and handled the hills with
ease. When we got to one section we stopped and watched an impressive display
of the new clutch system. The guide for our ride proceeded to take the Hawkeye
up a hill that was VERY steep and about 30 feet high. The guide then proceeded
to climb the hill with ease. He then came back down and did it AGAIN! Only this
time he stopped in the middle of the hill and then starts again. The 4wd worked
flawlessly and the Hawkeye never batted an eye. This showcased the torque and
power that the engine really had.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

Still wouldnt trust it. But thats just me

Old 11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

I dont want to have to guess when to put it into low range or face burned out belts like this prairie owner.

Prairie 360 problem thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

heck me neither, but i know for a fact that every model of atv will have some that dont do so good. Just the way it is. DOnt let one atv make your decision.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Range Rover

A couple of items that I did not care for on the 360 was the the steering, and not sure if I would be all that pleased long term with the CVT set up, especially in a smallbore motor.
The steering was less than impressive, as it seemed to not want to turn even in the grass. It had fairly tough steering, and would buck the turn a bit. Maybe I am just used to my 400ex being so good to me in the handling department, I don't know..............But this was a 2wd version of the 360 and I expected way better.
As for the CVT, easy to use......yes.........But, if I am on a trail ride, I would hate to have to stop at the edge of the woods, shift to high to go down a powerline, stop and put it in low to hit a wooded trail......

I'm so confused, I know what I am looking for.........just can't seem to find it. LOL! Time will tell.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Rancher 350FM 4x4 vs. Prairie 360 4x4