Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Yamaha Kodiac purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Kodiac purchase

Hello guys. My father just purchased a new 05 Yamaha Kodiac. He has been shopping around for about three weeks and finally made a decision today. He is gonna pick it up tommorow from the dealership. They are installing a winch and getting it all prepped up for him. I have a few questions to ask for him since he's not much of a computer guy. First of all is there anything he should be aware of about this particular model? I forgot to mention its the auto 450. Second is how will he like it vs the Suzuki Eiger. The reason for this question is that he sometimes rides my Eiger which he enjoys but hasn't rode alot of quads to compare with. He is hoping for a little smoother ride with the Irs and is kinda wondering what to expect out of the machine as far as comfort and dependability goes. He was leaning towards the Outlander 400max, but decided otherwise since he managed to save around $1300 and got a winch and rear storage/ Seat with the Kodiac. I think he made a great decision. What do you guys think, and don't hold any punches. He will be using the Kodiac for 85% trail riding and 15% light work around the house. Thanks for the input in advance, and have a great day!

Old 12-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

He's going to love it! The only problem is the rear brake will squeak after getting dirty. A good hosing down will help but it will come back. The rear grease fitting are impossible to get a grease gun on so they need to be replaced with some 90 degree angled ones. Other than that it a go most anywhere quad. The locking front differantal is awesome along with the engine braking system. He picked a great quad.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

CamoKodiac450, Thanks for the helpful info and advice. I will be sure to let him know. Btw your wheel and tire combo looks awesome on you Kodiac and im sure they perform just as nice.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:20 AM
Range Rover

I've recently bought two Kodiaks and I love them.I have a snow plow on the one and everything I do with these machines impress me.Great choice.

As for the Eiger,it's a good machine in it's own right.The Kodiak offers dif lock,water cooled,and IRS.These items we're what lead me to the Kodiak.
As far as the Outlander goes they too are a good machine but they are the same size as most of the big bore's.The Kodiak's smaller size makes the atv so manouverable on tight trails.

Happy trails,M/M.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

We took the Kodiac out today for the first ride offroad today. I have to say that i was pretty impressed when we swapped out for a few miles. It felt strange for a few minutes because of the handlebars positioning vs my Eiger. All in all it seemed to have plenty of power. I was mostly impressed with the IRS. Very smooth riding and running machine. If sure he will like it even more once he gets used to the feel of it, and learns exactly what his machine is capable of. He is fairly new to offroading Atv's and is taking things slow and careful. We had a great ride today.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

a comfy ride a kodiak is not. with the suspention its softest you will bottom out. go a couple clicks up and it becomes stiff, a couple more clicks and your rock solid. the outlander suspention is ALLOT softer.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shwagg
a comfy ride a kodiak is not. with the suspention its softest you will bottom out. go a couple clicks up and it becomes stiff, a couple more clicks and your rock solid. the outlander suspention is ALLOT softer.
My kodiak has a very comfy ride

Old 12-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry, i misread, i have an 04 straight axle no irs.