Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Cold weather starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather starting

I am thinking of buying a utility 4-wheeler for ice fishing. I live on a lake and would leave it down on the ice. My question is how do the different manufacturers start in the extreme cold? I wish others would follow Polaris and put out an EFI model. Thanks for any help.

Doc

Old 12-31-2005, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

for ice fishing i'd buy a ski-doo

Old 12-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2002 Yamaha Grizzly that I keep in my detached unheated garage. I have yet to have any trouble starting it. I was also concerned, as the previous owner told me he had trouble at his fish house starting this atv. I adjusted the intake valves and run seafoam in it, and even at -5 (coldest I have tried it) it fires up instantly. This is with the original battery.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

i have a Suzuki Eiger, and it will start right up, but is a little cold blooded, you can make just about anything run in the cold with a few carb adjustments

Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

So far my sportsman starts great. Half choke, turn the key, vrooooommmmm, let it run that way while I shovel the sidewalk, undo the choak, and away i go.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Always keep a little starting fluid handy. If it's been sitting out in the cold long enough and it doesn't start right away give it a shot of either.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Trailblazer

My friend has a lot of trouble starting his '06 Prairie 360 when its cold. Within 2 weeks after buying it the plug was fouled because of using the choke, so now he uses full choke to get it started, then backs off the choke while keeping his thumb on the throttle. Idles fine, but as soon as he puts it in gear and tries to move it stalls. Just don't plan on jumping on it and going.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

Use a Platinum Plug. It helps in the cold and won't foul out as easily.
We have in-line water heaters on ours because there are times when we need to get them going at -30 degrees. That doesn't help out on a frozen lake but you can always go out and run it for a while to keep it warm.
Also, if you are out by yourself and it doesn't start well in the cold use a cover to keep the heat in as long as possible. Of course if your quad doesn't start well in the cold you may not want to be out by yourself anyway.

Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

My forman 450 is a great cold weather starter. When its real cold, I'll turn the key on for about 30 sec to warm up the carb heater a bit then try the starter with choke on full. If if dont start then, 2 pumps on the primer always brings it to life.

You should always let the motor warm up a bit before you go, and not pin wide open on a cold motor!!!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ArtiCat has an electric choke that works very well! The Wolverine I do full choke and let it idle high for a bit then back it down to half, then down to no choke, and by that point it is ready I have my stuff loaded or my gear on and I can jmp on and go. To your original question I like the ArtiCat with the electric choke or an efi.

Quick Reply: Cold weather starting