Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Winch Cables vrs Snowplows ACK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006 | 09:38 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Winch Cables vrs Snowplows ACK!

I am having problems with my winch cable breaking while using my snowplow, I know it's a commen problem for those use their winches to lift their plow but I was unable to find many solutions on here..

I was thinking of removing my winch cable and using a strap instead, like a 4 foot section of tow strap..

has anyone fingured out a good solution? I seen one quad somewhere on a trailer that looked like they had a pully rigged up off their front bumper to help the cable so it doesn't bend so much over the fairlead.

Old 01-20-2006 | 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I went down to a local supply store and purchased 12' of nylon webbing (enough to fill the spool up) that is about 2" wide. This the cargo hold-down type, NOT like the stretchable type used as a tow strap.
I drilled 3 holes 1/2" deep horizontally on the winch drum (after removing the wire cable). I then used 3 self tapping panhead screws to secure the strap to the drum, and attached the original hook to the other end (for my last atv). Works great! On my old atv, I used it for 2 years with no problems at all. Last November I did the same thing to my new Vinson.

I did a minor mod to the blade assy on my Vinson to attach the strap. See my pics. Any questions?

Old 01-22-2006 | 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

I just replace it with a shorter one for plowing. It doesn't get tangled as much with less rope and I do not care if it ruins it--it was $0.20 per ft and is only used for the plow. I save my Warn one for riding season.

Old 01-22-2006 | 03:39 AM
|
Pro Rider

I love that strap idea

thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2006 | 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtydude.......
The strap sounds like a great idea.......I respooled my winch with Amsteel synthetic rope....This stuff is really nice....will not fray and is stronger than the wire rope.....You'll also need to get a hawse fairlead......The advantage of the synthetic rope over the strap is that you won't have to change out the strap for the rope after the snow season...The synthetic rope comes in many sizes but the size you'll need is the 3/16" by 50 ft. length which is the same as stock length..........Good luck.
John

Old 01-22-2006 | 08:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have a brand new roller fairlead, wouldn't that work for the synthetic rope? Never been marred up from a cable

also since this stuff is stronger wouldn't it be possible to put more of it on the winch? It would be nice to get 75 foot or more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2006 | 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Dirtydude......
The manufacturer suggests you replace your roller with a hawse because the hawse doesn't have any pinch points like the roller has in the corners.......any small burrs in the rollers can cut the synthetic rope........The hawse is solid all the way around and is usually made of aluminum or the kind I have is made of UHMW which is the same material as the synthetic rope......Ultra High Molecular Weight....The rope I got just barely fits on my spool....It's 50' X 3/16" and has an extra 5' protector on the end which reels right up in the winch...I don't think 75' will fit..........Hope this helps you....
John

Old 01-23-2006 | 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Just an update on the synthetic rope........They make a shorter peice with no protector that's 10' or 12' made specifically for plowing.....Supposedly the less on the winch the less chance the rope will get bunched up.........I had a slight problem with the protector getting bunched up in the drum........So I'm contemplating getting the shorter piece or somehow hooking up the strap idea....
John

Old 01-29-2006 | 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

What the hell are you all plowing that makes your cables snap? I have had the same winch and cable (warn 2500#) for 4 years and never had a single problem..besides changing the hook because the snap on it broke..

Old 01-29-2006 | 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

MrPlow2.......
Consider yourself lucky because not too many of us have them last that long..... The reason mine broke was where it was contacting the roller fairlead, the constant in and out made that particular spot in the wire weak and finally broke there.........
John

Quick Reply: Winch Cables vrs Snowplows ACK!