Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

How to leave your ATV alone in the woods

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to leave your ATV alone in the woods

i think Ramsey has the wireless remote kit for winches. Warn claims it won't work on their winches, but people have put them on and had them work fine. the post about leaving the key on is a good point. what an ornament though.

monty

Old 01-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

About the parking the atv in the woods, I drive mine to stores all the time, I have been through a drive thru before on it! (I got lucky). But the "po-po" have to catch you in the act, on the atv before they can write you a tickit. In fact some of my pals lived in a city area and used to push the quad trough town with the engine off and key out and the cops can't do a dam*n thing. I don't have to worry about theft in maine that much. Though I will say I know some people that had to ditch their quads after being chased by cops. They hid them in random woods. Since in Maine we have a lot of free space we do some riding known as "bush wacking", where you pick a start point and a finish spot, and ride through random woods to get there. Anybody else do this riding? It's a blast! :-)

Old 01-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats it.Laugh it up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](By the way I'm in 10th grade)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
When you become 18 (and can vote) you will realize that my humor was NOT directed towards you... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

the post about leaving the key on is a good point. what an ornament though.
monty
Most of the people I ride with connect the "key-on" wire directly to the battery. It will not cause a battery drain and if you have some electrical problem (ignition switch related) you can still operate the winch (notwithstanding the main bus wires from the winch to the relay or battery failing -- unlikely).

We do a lot of DEEP mud and water riding and it is very common for the electronics in the instrument cluster to get messed up when wet. At least wired directly, the winch will still work. That is why I was thinking the wireless would be such a good idea in this specific configuration.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Range Rover

If I leave my atv in the woods i usally park it at the bottom of a hill with a empty rifle case and a note in a clean plastic bag saying "Jeff, just got the new scope on,I`m at top of hill come on up."also an empty box of .303 bullets on the front of the seat so when some one looks to see if the key is there they will see it allong with the note.Works even better if there is a few trees on the hill that are close together so people can`t tell if there all trees or trees and a guy with a rifle.

NO one will try and steal an atv under those conditions, if they will there not to smart.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jcheil
Thats it.Laugh it up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img](By the way I'm in 10th grade)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
When you become 18 (and can vote) you will realize that my humor was NOT directed towards you... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
O sarry then.I just couldnt read it and so I took it as an insult.But either way I don't minde that people make fun of my grammer.I no i have bad grammer.I my grades show me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Sarry about that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

did you konw taht you can raed any wrod in the elngsih dtanririoy as lnog as the frist and lsat lteters are crorcet. taht is the way our biarn wrkos.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ToughGUY2169
About the parking the atv in the woods, I drive mine to stores all the time, I have been through a drive thru before on it! (I got lucky). But the "po-po" have to catch you in the act, on the atv before they can write you a tickit. In fact some of my pals lived in a city area and used to push the quad trough town with the engine off and key out and the cops can't do a dam*n thing. I don't have to worry about theft in maine that much. Though I will say I know some people that had to ditch their quads after being chased by cops. They hid them in random woods. Since in Maine we have a lot of free space we do some riding known as "bush wacking", where you pick a start point and a finish spot, and ride through random woods to get there. Anybody else do this riding? It's a blast! :-)
me and my friends always do a nice lil trick to the cops wen we ride in illegal spots. if we see a cop we turn off our quads as fast as we can. by the time the cop gets to u he wont be able to say anything kuz he never caught u actually riding the quad. so u cant get in trouble. if he were to get us in trouble.... he never actually saw us riding the quads so we could argue that we pushed the damn things and never even turned on the engine! lol. it works every time but then sumtimes the cop stays around and waits for u to start up ur quad and leave. so in cases like that we push our quads into a bush or sumthin and hike back to the yamaha dealer which is close to the trails. we have a nice lunch break and check out the quads at the dealer and by the time we get back the cop is gone from bein bored to death. then the riding begins again. but the best way to get away from a cop is to go through a stream or anything that a cop car cant pass through. one time i was riding alone kuz my friends couldnt join me and a cop pulled onto the trail in his jeep kuz the trail was connected to a road. he was parked on the trail just waitin for quaders to ride buy and all the sudden i pop up. i notice the big@$$ jeep in my way and turn around as fast as i can....... i follow the trail back and cross a stream and stay over there and ride around for a couple hours till i get the guts to come back to the trail. by the time i got back the cop was long gone. im pretty skilled with gettin away from the cops kuz i ussually gotta do it every weekend, lol. its not my fault though! make sum places to ride around jersey that arnt 2 hours away and i wouldnt have to go quading illegally! lol

Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Grizzman42
Originally posted by: ToughGUY2169
me and my friends always do a nice lil trick to the cops wen we ride in illegal spots. if we see a cop we turn off our quads as fast as we can. by the time the cop gets to u he wont be able to say anything kuz he never caught u actually riding the quad. so u cant get in trouble. if he were to get us in trouble.... he never actually saw us riding the quads so we could argue that we pushed the damn things and never even turned on the engine! lol. it works every time but then sumtimes the cop stays around and waits for u to start up ur quad and leave. so in cases like that we push our quads into a bush or sumthin and hike back to the yamaha dealer which is close to the trails. we have a nice lunch break and check out the quads at the dealer and by the time we get back the cop is gone from bein bored to death. then the riding begins again. but the best way to get away from a cop is to go through a stream or anything that a cop car cant pass through. one time i was riding alone kuz my friends couldnt join me and a cop pulled onto the trail in his jeep kuz the trail was connected to a road. he was parked on the trail just waitin for quaders to ride buy and all the sudden i pop up. i notice the big@$$ jeep in my way and turn around as fast as i can....... i follow the trail back and cross a stream and stay over there and ride around for a couple hours till i get the guts to come back to the trail. by the time i got back the cop was long gone. im pretty skilled with gettin away from the cops kuz i ussually gotta do it every weekend, lol. its not my fault though! make sum places to ride around jersey that arnt 2 hours away and i wouldnt have to go quading illegally! lol

Here is an idea. Get your own property to ride on. If you're trespassing on someone else's land I hope you get what is coming to you and it isn't a ticket from a cop. Either taht or I hope some landowner finds your ATV unattended on his property and keeps it. Better yet would be to leave it in little itty bitty pieces or set it on fire. Might teach you a valuable lesson about riding where you aren't suppose to be riding and respecting private property.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

Come on Quit, don't be a party pooper. You know it's all crap anyway.

Quick Reply: How to leave your ATV alone in the woods