Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Venom winch bound up 1st try!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venom winch bound up 1st try!

I bought a 3000lbs Venom winch and installed it on my 05 KingQuad. The first time I used it (to pull out some poor soul from the mud), the cable skipped off the roller and bound up! I was not able to get it released, so I removed the winch from the quad.

1) I was pulling the guy out at a slight angle - should not have made it jump the roller though.
2) Is Venom a crappy winch or did I do something wrong?
3) Is there a 'method' to using a winch properly? Like having to "guide" it on the roller while winching? I doubt it...

Any advice would be apprec iated...what should I buy next? WARN?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

Did you guide it at least while taking the slack out? Once your in the pull, I wouldn't think a person would be able to guide it.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Guiding the cable onto the drum while winching would be hideously dangerous....If the cable snapped it would go thru your arm like a hot knife thru butter.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Quad Patrol

I can't speak about the venom winch and won't say a warn or other more expensive winch, would not have bound up. Sounds like the angle kept the cable from spooling back on the drum properly. When I use my winch, I place a jacket or other cloth object on the cable, just in case it does break. That way, the weight of the item, gives it a downward force to take the energy that is released. Has far as guiding the cable back on, sometimes, you need to block the wheels of the towed vehicle, while you release the tension on the cable, so the cable, can be loosened and rewound on the drum properly to continue the winching operation.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

"I place a jacket or other cloth object on the cable, just in case it does break. That way, the weight of the item, gives it a downward force to take the energy that is released."

That was one reason that swayed me to buying a winch with the synthetic rope. I've had my hand cut from a frayed wire on a pulling unit before, through leather gloves, doesn't feel good.

"sometimes, you need to block the wheels of the towed vehicle, while you release the tension on the cable, so the cable, can be loosened and rewound on the drum properly to continue the winching operation"

Sounds like a good tip, thanks!

Old 02-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Where can I get a synthetic rope winch? That sounds like a good idea...

Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

i have the same winch and the same thing happened to me wind up seems like its going to be a bear but i just guide it

Old 02-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

I've done it with a good winch (not that Venom isn't?). Do you have a roller fairlead?

You have to (properly) keep some tension on the cable as you take out the slack or your cable can unwind. Once that happens you can either cable stack or jump off the drum. Plowing can be tough on cables because you usually can't see the cable and end up giving it too much slack.

I bought one winch that had a cable guide, it's a bent piece of round stock that's got a loop on one end and a handle on the other. Don't have to be worried about stabbing yourself while taking the tension out (I cannot believe one little wire can cause so much pain!!!). Don't have to worry about your hand or glove getting pinched either.

ebay has the amsteel rope with a rope fairlead for around $70. You need to use a fairlead meant for rope. I've seen aluminum and UHMWPE (plastic) fairleads. I have not done enough research to tell which is better yet, but I will be replacing my wire rope at the first sign of damage or sooner. I do not know how they hold up yet, but the manufacturers claim they're better than cable.

Until then I am going to drill a hole in a hockey puck, removing my cable, sliding the puck up the cable. Then I can slide the puck around 1/2 way to the ATV when winching. It will prevent whip back and I can snug the hook without damaging my roller fairlead.

If my winch wasn't dead I would just buy some good synthetic rope.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a 15 ft strap with hooks at both ends that I use with the ****** block, wrap the strap around the tree and attach the ****** block when I have to double my pulling power, I use the same equipment to prevent a drum override on an angled pull...

Although I try to pull straight its not always possible, so I just put my ****** block over the cable, I attach the same 15 ft strap (I carry several lengths), then get the hammer head (friend!!) that I'm pulling out to stand off to the side (eg; the left if the off angle pull is to the right) about 10 ft in front of ATV.

I have all the cable out (I leave about 1/2 drum full on the 1st wrap) since the winch pulls harder with the first few wraps and the other driver pulls on the strap so ****** block acts as a cable straightener (is that a word?)..
so that the cable feeds into the centre of the fairlead.

Then the cable lays itself in nice little rows automatically...if you are doing it on your own I think you could adjust the length of the strap with the block by tying around a tree (never tried that!)...

what do you think?....it works for me....

I leaned this in the Reserves about 35 years ago....of course we were towing 5 ton trucks out of the muck with giant winches...and the ****** blocks weren't hand held, they were attached with come alongs to trees or other trucks....fwiw

2005 King Quad

Old 02-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Just to clear up a couple things, placing a towel, jacket, floor mat on the winch cable is to create a parachute if the cable breaks. If it breaks it will tangle in the towel and slow the cable.

If you have any fraying in the winch cable, you should replace it ASAP.

Quick Reply: Venom winch bound up 1st try!