Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

warn or ramsey?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warn or ramsey?

i know the question has been asked a million times but i have been researching this on the internet and am even more confused-is the ramsey 3000# a sealed unit,also ramsey claims there winches have way less electrical draw is this true?and would a sealed unit be totally needed-i mainly ride trails/mud don't look for the deepest holes but sometimes they find me,opinions would be appreciated,thanks in advance

Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn or ramsey?

I have a Warn 2500 and never once have I had a problem.Well except for mounting the bastard. But I have beat the living crap out of my winch and it was well worth the money. Even after tipping it onto its side through the ice it still worked just fine.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

had good luck with warn always have but have heard good things bout ramsey to.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default warn or ramsey?

Well i had both until i sold my 300 and let the warn go with it and they both held up well and yes ramsey does draw about half the amps the warn does at full load. Though on the flip side of things the warn will pull in a little faster also.

If i had to buy again i'd probably buy the one that i could get the cheapest.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

I hate to say but warn didn't go good on a winch that wasn't more than 4 times. The whole wench broke in two when I was winding just the cable back in. Personnelly I feel it was defective but still I wasn't impressed. I think Ramsey is a better winch. hopefully with better service. I will not buy another warn because of my experiences.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM
Range Rover
Default warn or ramsey?

both reputable, good items,shop price..... guy on ebay selling warn 2.5's for a duece and shipping

Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

lexustech..........
Hey before you blow some serious coin on one of them, go on ebay and do a search for the Gorilla Pro Series winches.....You can get a 3000lb. for under $100 and a 2500lb. for under $80........I've heard from a fellow forum member who's very intelligent in this field that the Gorilla is almost identical to the Warn 2.5 in looks and construction......He actually took the two apart and compared them and said they were so identical that you can interchange parts with eachother......I'm gonna pick one up and install it as a rear winch on the sportsman.......I've heard not to get the one with the black case but the one you want is the gray case Pro Series.......Just be aware that they only come with 30' of cable though....
John

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

I took the advice from JCDEY025 and ordered the " Gorilla 3000lb Winch from E Bay" its 4 times less the price as a Warn, if it breaks in half, or fails then im not out that much, the way I look at it I won't be using a winch much, so why buy the best or most expensive one? It also comes with a mounting plate and a roller head. I have a mig welder, if I have too I can prefab the existing mounting plate to fit. I have seen other atv's with the winch mounted on the top front rack, on the outside, all they do is weld flat stock steel plate to the rack, it works just as well. I will mount mine in the proper location, not on the top rack. 2006 Suzuki Eiger 5 speed

Old 03-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Default warn or ramsey?

I have the winch on my quad mounted just below front rack level. Had it mounted in the "proper" location down low and behind the bars for awhile but found it did not allow raising the plow and bucket high enough. With it's present location the lift height of both impliments is much improved and I can easily see how the cable is winding onto the drum. I also tried a system where I was could use it in the low mount location but in front of the grill bars, at rack level but pointed down for the impliments or move it to the rear of the quad. This was OK but I didn't like all the extra mounting stuff hanging on the quad. So far the best location for all around usage is where it is now. I don't do any mudding and the quad is used primarily for work.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default warn or ramsey?

Yep, just got a gorilla 2500# $106

Quick Reply: warn or ramsey?