Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

High temp silicon

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High temp silicon

Does anybody know where i can pick up some HIGH TEMP silicone, to plug up the the drain bolt hole on my recon? Can i get it from a place like AutoZone?

Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

If you are talking about replacing the oil drain plug with silicone I would strongly urge you to reconsider. A silicone repair to an open hole would probably fall out while you are riding and cause an engine failure.

If the plug hole is stripped out you may be able to retap to a larger size or find an expanding plug like they have for stripped out vehicle pans. I have found that Schuck's, Auto Zone and most other such parts stores have limited training for their counter people. Find a store that has really experianced people to help you. Talk to a mechanic at a well established repair shop for reccomendations on where to shop.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

i already retapped it, but the tap messed up and now its stripped, and it cant go any bigger. The plug will bolt in, but not tight enough to hold the oil in. So im just gonna try this, so do you think auto zone or napa or somewhere like that will have some?
Instead of puttin silicone on the open hole, do you think i can put some in the hole and on the plug, then screw it in, and put more around the side of the plug. Would that hold you think?
Thanks

Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

The local NAPA here is the parts store to go to, don't know about yours. The silicone may or may not hold depending on how badly the hole is stripped, how snug you can get the plug and how clean and oil free you have the surfaces prior to making the patch. You will have to let it cure for a couple of days prior to putting any oil in the engine.

I would be really hesitant to trust this kind of repair considering the potential for catastrophic engine failure due to oil starvation. You might want to look into one of those expanding rubber plugs as an inexpensive temporary repair. For a more permenent repair you may be able to have the hole welded shut and redrilled. Of course there is also the option of biteing the bullet and buying a new case.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've got to agree with Tencubed.

Get that thing fixed right. The risk of loosing the oil during a ride just isn't worth it.

Maybe take it to a machinist, who might either be able to find a way to correct the threads or repair it, or perhaps seal it permently and make a new drain...

Old 03-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: JeffinTD

Maybe take it to a machinist, who might either be able to find a way to correct the threads or repair it, or perhaps seal it permently and make a new drain...
I wonder if it could be sealed off and the oil changed with one of those suction units that are used on some marine applications. The ones where they put a tube down the dipstick hole and suck the oil out. May be worth looking into.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Pro Rider

figure out what the size of the thread your std. drain plug is, like a 12mm, 5 thread. go to NAPA ask for a "Helicoil" repair kit, the kit gives you everything, the correct size drill bit, the tap, the repair insert, locktite, very easy to do. what ur doing is drilling out the damaged threads, then tap it to fit a helicoil insert, its a permenant repair.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I thought of the helicoil, too. No offense intended to Fritz, but if he already tried to tap it larger and the "tap messed up", I think I'll stick with my original suggestion to take it to a professional machinest.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

J-B weld it!

Then once the J-B weld is cured you can drill a hole thru it and screw in a bolt of your choosing. That J-B weld is awesome stuff..

Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

hmm was look at pipes and saw this on the fmf web site
https://www.fmfracing.com/products/c...CategoryID=354
duno if that is what you were talkign about (original poster)..
but looks as if it comes in a small tube of it..