Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Brakes - 2 lever vs. 1 lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes - 2 lever vs. 1 lever

I thought the foot brake on Polaris was only suposed to be an emergency brake. Thats why it is such a pain to use. As far as being a nightmare coming down hill, I dont believe so. It just takes a lot of getting used too. I ride down several hills that a couple people with Big Bears and Vinson just end up walking theirs down. Granted some of that was rider skill but it was still funny to see.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: James1701
I thought the foot brake on Polaris was only suposed to be an emergency brake. Thats why it is such a pain to use. As far as being a nightmare coming down hill, I dont believe so. It just takes a lot of getting used too. I ride down several hills that a couple people with Big Bears and Vinson just end up walking theirs down. Granted some of that was rider skill but it was still funny to see.

I'm curious how do you go down steep hills (on the Polaris) James? In low or high, and do you use a lot of brake on steep loose hills? What have you found works best?

Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 AM
Range Rover

It depends on how steep it is. If its real steep, I put it in low and give it gas all the way. This keeps the tires from skipping. I am talking maybe 500 rpms. It does not take much. Now when it comes to traversing a hill with slick wet leaves or wet grass, it does not matter what machine you are on. Even my brother inlaws Vinson will chatter going down that. Back to the Polaris, its just not a natural feeling to give it gas when going down a knarly hill,, but once you get over it, put it in low and go, its smooth sailing. You just have to develope a feel for how much gas to give it. It takes some practice.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: James1701
Back to the Polaris, its just not a natural feeling to give it gas when going down a knarly hill,, but once you get over it, put it in low and go, its smooth sailing. You just have to develope a feel for how much gas to give it. It takes some practice.

Ok, I gotcha. Yes people have trouble with giving it gas and not giving into the urge of letting off the gas. When you let off the gas thats when the EBS kicks in and locks up the rear tires in my experience.

I stil have pucker factor every time I go down a steep hill. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: Bobmack
I have a single brake lever and I like it then I want to stop I want to stop not just slide the back tires. to each his own
Maybe someone should sent Ford, Chevy and other car and truck Company an e-mail to come out with a two pedal system.
First, cars and trucks are a totally different animal. They are far larger, heavier, and more stable. They also HAVE to be usable by a much larger cross section of society. Use of a steering wheel doesn't lend itself as well to hand braking, although there are vehicles designed for people with certain disabilities that allows such. Since you are much more isolated from the wheels in a car, you would have a harder time telling when you are approaching the point of lockup also. The vast majority of streetbikes and anything with handlebars really, has split brakes. Why? More control for the user. These are vehicles that are lighter and less stable, making it a benefit for the user to be able to modulate brake bias. On these single lever quads, you are stuck with one bias that the manufacturer has designed in to work for all situations. With a dual system, I can choose to not use rear brakes when sliding backwards down a hill, but I can also modulate just how much stopping power is put to whatever axle also, depending on the situation. I do find it funny that so many will defend Polaris for making an "Easy to use" system on one thread, but on this one we have multiple riders attesting to it causing some undo pucker factor, unless you go against basic instinct(which a new rider is not likely to do)

Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have a single brake lever and I like it then I want to stop I want to stop not just slide the back tires. to each his own
Maybe someone should sent Ford, Chevy and other car and truck Company an e-mail to come out with a two pedal system.

Why stop at a two pedal system, put on some shutes--the space shuttle uses them right? If one means of braking works in one area then it must work just as good in others. If you only slide your back tires on a two lever system sign up for a riding class.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: powerstroke01
I agree I LOVE the single lever..

I Absolutly hate having dual brakes.

It was hard going from the balance of my outlander to the unbalanced braking of my Z400..

Do you guys see rock crawlers with dual braking systems? Didnt think so...

If im only allowed to use my front brakes to keep from flipping over backwards on a hill and i start to slide backwards because i cant reach my rear brake petal causing my bike to eventually flip someones gonna be pissed.

The only thing unbalanced is your inputs to the brakes, now if I give a single lever system an input and it gives x% to the front and x% to the rear no matter what, with no adjustment, THAT is unbalanced.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

now if I give a single lever system an input and it gives x% to the front and x% to the rear no matter what, with no adjustment, THAT is unbalanced
nail on the head there, as the weight is transfered your brake bias should be adjusted, these guys defending single lever by disabling the EBS to manage fixed bias is ridiculous.

it's dummying down the sport

Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CBF2
Originally posted by: powerstroke01
I agree I LOVE the single lever..

I Absolutly hate having dual brakes.

It was hard going from the balance of my outlander to the unbalanced braking of my Z400..

Do you guys see rock crawlers with dual braking systems? Didnt think so...

If im only allowed to use my front brakes to keep from flipping over backwards on a hill and i start to slide backwards because i cant reach my rear brake petal causing my bike to eventually flip someones gonna be pissed.

The only thing unbalanced is your inputs to the brakes, now if I give a single lever system an input and it gives x% to the front and x% to the rear no matter what, with no adjustment, THAT is unbalanced.

I use my Z400 for the same trails that i used my Outlander on. Alot of times i cant have my foot near the rear brake. How does that do me any good?

Still, i think i single lever is better.... Dont get the wrong idea, im not a "novice" rider i can ride anywhere.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

You ride a sport quad with your feet off the pegs?

wtf?

Am I the only one scratching my head here?

If your like 3 foot tall maybe I could see it, but then you could like raise your pegs or something

I call bullsh!t, Your just baiting or your a timid rider and "ride" with your feet off the pegs cause your pushing it!

Quick Reply: Brakes - 2 lever vs. 1 lever