Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Snorkel questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkel questions

Can I just run one snorkel for the tranny and air intake?

I was thinking instead of running a ton of snorkels up why can't I plumb in the tranny snorkel to the air in take and just run a 2" tube up?

Does the tranny really need to breathe so much that it requires it's own air tube?

The only draw back I can think of with hooking it to the air intake is that it might put a negitive pressure in the tranny housing and if there was a small leak it might draw in more water than a neutral pressure....auctually what it might do is reverse the flow and the exit tube for the tranny might become the intake tube...hmm food for thought

I gonna hafta rip into this thing to see what the best setup might be. I might be even able to rig up a turboed snorkel using some venturi effects! hahah

Old 04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

not only did you kind of answer your own qeustion, but you put WAAAY too much thought into it.
i dont think its a good idea. if it was OK to run all the snorkels into one, why wouldnt the factory have done it? sure it wouldve been difficult for the belt's exhaust snorkel to big set up that way, but there MUST be a reason why the factory didnt have the air/belt intake snorkels all in one.
seems to me that one snorkel can only flow so much air, so if you put both intake snorkels into one, youde have to more than double the diameter for two reasons-
1- most homemade/aftermarket snorkels dont flow as much air as stock due to more bends
2- youre pulling air from one place to two different places.
so it looks like youre gonna have to run at least 3 snorkels. id say run 2, most stock belt exhaust snorkels ive seen were sufficient enough, plus the air pressure usually helps.

looks like this is just one more reason to stick with manuals.

Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

EUREKA!

I have figured out the solution

I'll take some pics when I start this latest project...this is gonna be good hehe

edit: an you can take and shove that manual up your hiney

Old 04-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

haha, i wasnt trying to be mean with the manual comment.
please share your pics. im really interested in how you're goin to do this.
could you give us a brief description?

Old 04-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

I'd like to see pics too, i've got a lot of pics of my kind quad snorkel project if anyone wants to see it. I ended up making a plug for the exhaust side of the belt case, snorkeled the intake of the belt case, and made a custom airbox with snorkel for that, the whole system seems to work great. Still waiting to see if the belt needs the air of both intake an exhaust for the belt case, so far so good. Ryan.