Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

New Radials????

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006 | 10:15 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default New Radials????

I was just wondering if anyone has any Carlisle ACTs, Maxxis Bighorns, or Ducks Unlimited tires on their quad. I have an '05 Vinny auto, and am considering one of the three. I do MOSTLY trail riding, but do like to play in the mud some. I want a tire (radial) that slides well and not too heavy (don't want to lose much power). They will remain stock size. Any info would be great!

Old 04-09-2006 | 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default New Radials????

Bighorns are a fav. on these boards

I have yet to try em, but I would deff give em a look cause of the replys on these forums.

Old 04-09-2006 | 07:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Radials????

I dont think big horns are to good in mud though. They are an excellent trail tire, but if you like to mud, i think you might be on the wrong tire. An all around tire i heard is ITP 589. They are supposed to have the best of all worlds.

Old 04-10-2006 | 02:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Radials????

I got a flat with the stock tires at 30 miles. I mounted the Wetlands by 100 miles. Same trails, no leaks. Much more open tread than the Bighorns (better for mud) and not as heavy. Nowhere near the rutting that I used to do, but much better in mud, snow, and on the trail. They really do float on top more than my stockers. I've been able to alternate lines on my trails and eliminate ruts from last year. Better in the snow than the 589s as they don't dig as much. Don't tear up the lawn as much either. A riding buddy bought the 589s and has them for sale if your interested. They ride like you mounted a rock on each corner. 589s have an awesome grip, but the ride, power loss, and handling sacrifice is not worth it if you aren't a hard-core mudder. Bighorns appear to be a great hard pack/rock tire, but I've seen more than one person complain about the mud performance.

Mudlite XTR looks to be a more aggressive Wetlands. Weren't available when I bought the Wetlands, but not exactly what I wanted anyway.

These tires have improved the stiff ride of my earlier version Rubicon too. You can easily mount 26" on the stock rims as they are the same width. Us guys with the feeble SRAs need all the help we can get, right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2006 | 02:36 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default New Radials????

What about the MudLite XL's? I keep reading and hearing that they too are a great trail AND mud tire. From the sites I've seen they're about 6-7 lbs lighter PER TIRE than the other radials. Am I looking too hard at radials as far as weight goes? They seem to be the heaviest of all (except the mack daddy "tater diggers" ) Also, if I could get a 26" tall tire that's the same weight as a 25", should I go that route? That gets back to the handling though again. I can get a full set of the Mudlite XLs shipped to me for $192.00 (Stock size) The 26" about $50 more. The radials are gonna be from $300 up! That's a BIG difference in my book. Cuts into my clutch kit budget-should I need one. I just want a tire that's AS good or a little better in the mud than my stock Dunlops, but rides better w/ better handling. Help B4 I really confuse myself!

Old 04-12-2006 | 10:32 AM
Range Rover
Default New Radials????

big horns all the way!

Old 04-12-2006 | 07:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New Radials????

I would say that the best all around tire that ive heard is Interco Swamplites