Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

sportsman 800

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 800

I'm not one to trash talk other quads....I'm sure it's a great machine...... But my machine is far from stock.......

Old 05-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Range Rover
Default sportsman 800

The Bombardier Outlander 800EFI is the fastest and most powerful stock if that is what you are looking for. They (BRP) are also coming out with a new quad called the Renegade. It is a sport 4x4 with IRS and the 800 EFI engine that is in the outlander. You can read all about it on the bombardier forum. BRP is also going back to its roots and calling all of their new atv products Can-Am's after their old dirt bikes from the 70's.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default sportsman 800

The SP 800 is a tough machine, just pricey like any of the other flagship quads.

The ACs have done well for themselves in the utility field... the HL mud nationals always show them as being at the top. ACs finished 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd in 2005... they did well this year, there just wasn't near as many there competing for some reason. Speed and sporty riding isn't their strong point... kinda hard when it's built with a monster suspension and huge ground clearance. The early V2s had some frame problems, but overall the ACs are built tough as tanks.

I don't know why some of you make a big deal about them using engines from other manufacturers... the engines they use are proven and bulletproof, so what's the big deal? It's the total package that you should look at anyway. If speed and sporty riding are your forte, AC is not for you. If heavy work, deep mud, and going places is yours, AC is at the top. They're still a young company in the ATV market who is in the process of builing their first engine plant, but have already released their first engine (the 650 H1). The H1 speaks for itself... no other quad out there can slap on 29.5 outlaws completely stock with no clearance issues and churn them with absolutely no belt problems or adjustments. They have the toughest belt drive transmission of any manufacturer out there period. With simple mods, they only get much stronger.

Flame suit on

Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

Very well put. I didnt know how to respond to ac using different motors. But i have no complaints! I like AC products alot, and will continue to buy them. I cant wait to see what type of motors they come out with when their plat is done.

Old 05-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

Originally posted by: v2rider
Originally posted by: JCDEYO25
I got an 05 700 EFI and love it..........Stay clear of those kitty cats.......AC"s
John
That "kittycat" will bury your 700, ive already done it.
If you bash you must be trash. Seems I read that somewhere before.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

V2 has done a few mods to his bike, so it would probably outrun any stock P700 and prolly outrun a stock Grizz

but that is ok, I got a few mods on my grizz now too so he ain't gonna catch me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'd out pull him on a drag, out run him on a trail, out corner, out preform him on the hills, leave him swearing on the sidehills all with out even breakin a sweat....

I'll be drinking a cold one at the finish line gigglin like a school girl as he drags his sorry puddy tat with it's tail between it legs home

Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

Just ordered a moose module. Better rethink. It would be fun though to compare our addictions!!! lol

Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

Ya, too bad your so far away, I'd bet you'd be a blast to ride with

Old 05-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Range Rover
Default sportsman 800

I've got an 800 Sportsman in my garage right now...over winter storage for a good friend. I've got about 50 miles seat time on it too. I also own a AC 650V2, and a 800 Bomb. The comments above about the "utility" of the AC are exactly right. It's a work horse. I love the 4x4 system and locking font axle. If you haul, drag, and work an ATV, you can't do much better than an AC. It's IRS works very well on the technical stuff too. Lots of clearance, but that makes it tippy and it certainly doesn't handle the fast stuff as well as many others. The Duramatic auto trans on the H1 and 500 ACs is probably one of the best in the business, the Kawai auto on the V2, well, it's okay but certainly not as good as the Duramatic.

There are things I like about the 800 Polaris too. It's a much more comfortable machine on the trail. it is also much more nimble and feels a lot "sportier." There are two down sides that I personally don't like. One i don't see noted too much and that's the fuel consumption. It is a real gas hog...big time. And with only a 5.3 gal tank (AC 6.5 gal), everytime we ride the 800 is always the limiting factor. I also don't care for the AWD system but a lot of that depends upon the type of riding and trails you ride, it may not be an issue. If you've got steep hills, you'll quicly tire of the transmission clunk, clunk, clunk going down them.

Give some consideration to the dealer. If you've got a AC dealer with a great rep near by, you might want to consider an AC. The same holds true for the Polaris. I wouldn't want to drive 2 hours to get to a dealer I trusted, regardless of the brand, and particularly if another brand of quad was close to what I wanted/needed.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Default sportsman 800

Well said JimJa. I had my choices narrowed between the H1 and the SP800. The fact that I have a reputable Polaris dealer 30 minutes from home was a pretty big factor in my decision. The Arctisaki Catzuki (sorry, couldn't resist) dealer is just as close but this guy sells motorcycles and whatever else he can make a dime on. Every time I went in to talk to him, I knew more than he did. That is pretty sad and scary. Either ride would have suited my needs but the Polaris wound up being the smarter choice for me.

Quick Reply: sportsman 800